The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 11, 2014, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

New IABBO RULE BOOK

Anyone know where I can purchase the current one?
Old Sat Oct 11, 2014, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken, IAABO is not a rule making body and as such does not publish a rule book. Instead, they publish their own set of officials manuals and set of mechanics.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Oct 11, 2014, 08:40am
Administrator

IAABO publishes two handbooks: a High School Edition and a College Edition. Both editions contain IAABO's entire membership (including mailing address) list and the list of National officers and committee members and local officers.

The High School Edition also contains a copy of the NFHS Rules and Casebook, as well as a copy of the IAABO Manual for Two-Person and Three-Person Officiating.

The College Edition also contains copy of the NCAA Men's Rules.

One can go to the IAABO website (IAABO) and find instructions to order the Handbooks.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Oct 11, 2014, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever it's called I want to buy a copy. Iabbo site sucks. Nothing on there directing me to,get what I want. Thanks for the help
Old Sat Oct 11, 2014, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If I'm not mistaken, IAABO is not a rule making body and as such does not publish a rule book. Instead, they publish their own set of officials manuals and set of mechanics.
MTD is right, they publish the NFHS book under their own cover. I'll post a pic to FB for you.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

IAABO is the biggest waste of money. I fail to see any benefit of me giving them 35USD every year. They plagiarize the NFHS, NCAA and FIBA rule books and add in their own manual that has some ridiculous guidelines. i.e. officials getting in trouble for not conducting a joint coaches and captains meeting.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
IAABO is the biggest waste of money. I fail to see any benefit of me giving them 35USD every year. They plagiarize the NFHS, NCAA and FIBA rule books and add in their own manual that has some ridiculous guidelines. i.e. officials getting in trouble for not conducting a joint coaches and captains meeting.
I don't think they plagiarize, I believe they use them. Plagiarism would imply illegal use. I looked at the newest IAABO book, What trouble are are you referring to?
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarry View Post
I don't think they plagiarize, I believe they use them. Plagiarism would imply illegal use. I looked at the newest IAABO book, What trouble are are you referring to?
Sorry- plagiarize is not the correct term. They do in fact republish the above mention rule books.

As I mentioned before IAABO boards are chastising officials for not forcing the coaches to attend the captains meeting because it is in the IAABO manual but not the NFHS rule book.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 06:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Blind Jokes Please ...

Quote:
IAABO is the biggest waste of money.
I'm sorry that your local IAABO board is a waste of money. My local board does an excellent job of doing what all IAABO boards are supposed to do:

· To educate, train, develop, and provide continuous instruction for basketball officials.
· To promote the welfare of the game of basketball, its players and officials.
· To maintain the highest standard of basketball officiating.
· To encourage the spirit of fair play and sportsmanship.
· To have available at all times an adequate number of thoroughly trained and capable officials.
· To cooperate with all organizations officially connected with the game of basketball in furthering its interests and ideals.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

My board also provides great education. That being said, it has nothing to do with IAABO. I was with one board that wasn't an IAABO board and another one that is. There was no difference in the instruction. If you gave my current board all NFHS books, removed the IAABO patch from our shirts ( and put the 10 dollars per patch back in our pockets) the quality of the instruction we receive would not change. As a result, neither would the quality of the officials.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 09:36am
Administrator

Posts from November 2003 thread.

Nov. 07/Fri., 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
Mark DeNucci should probably answer this question, but I'll give it a shot.

IAABO is an (as the name implies) international organization dedicated to the improvement and education of basketball officials. Anyone can join as an individual member, even if there is not a local board. IAABO holds interpretation meetings for all of its local interpreters, where new rules, interpretations, mechanics are all disseminated and fully explained. Those interpreters then all go back to their respective boards and give the same interpretations, hopefully making officiating throughout the country more uniform. That's the theory, anyway.

The dues get you a rule book, case book, official's manual and a members' directory, as well as a newsletter (called "Sportorials"). Some areas of the country (like Massachusetts) require an official to be a member of IAABO in order to officiate inter-scholastic games.

For most people, I think membership isn't worth it if it's not required, but there are still advantages to being a member. It just depends on whether you think it's worth the annual dues.

Nov. 08/Sat., 2003:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Chuck has done a good job in eplaining some of the benefits of being a member of IAABO. I would like to add more information.

One: Any basketball official in the world can be a member of IAABO. It does not what level of basketball you officiate. H.S., college, WNBA, NBA, FIBA, amateur, or professional. That means if you live in an area where there is not an IAABO Board, you can be and Individual Member.

Two: When someone asks me to explain what IAABO is, I like to use the analogy of professional and technical organiztions in the engineering profession. (I guess that is because I am a structural engineer.) I compare organizations like NASO, NFOA, and Officiating.com to the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE). The NSPE is a professional organization. The NSPE is concerned about the condition of all engineers regardless of their disciplines. The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC), and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) are technical organizations. A technical organizatio is concerned about a specific discipline the engineers that practice that discipline.

IAABO is a technical organization concerned about basketball officials only. Another technical organization in sports officiating is the Amateur Baseball Umpires Association (ABUA). I consider local officials associations (LOA) that are sport specific to be technical organizations.

I hope that this as not muddied the waters pertaining to garote's question.

But my advice to all officials no matter what sport they officiate is that they should belong to organization such as NASO, NFOA, and Officiating.com for the same reason that I am a member of the NSPE. I also advice them to belong to sport specific organizations such as IAABO or ABUA for the same reasons that I belong to the ASCE, ASME, and SEAOC (I have a B.E. in both civil and mechanical engineering and practice structural engineering).

Belonging to these various organizations give officials (engineers) the opportunity to avail themselves of the educational and professional opportunities that organizations offer. And at the vary least the membership dues are tax deductable.

Here is the link to the original thread: Why IAABO ???
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 09:38am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Sorry- plagiarize is not the correct term. They do in fact republish the above mention rule books.

As I mentioned before IAABO boards are chastising officials for not forcing the coaches to attend the captains meeting because it is in the IAABO manual but not the NFHS rule book.
Captains and coaches meeting is mandatory in my state.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 10:16am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post

I am sorry to hear that. I don't want HCs in my Captains Meeting from a historical perspective.

There are many here that do not like the rule that allows HCs to request TOs. The current TO request rule in both the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Books is the same TO request rule found in the NCAA Women's Rules Book which was kept when the NCAA took over the women's college basketball rules writing duties from NAGWS (National Association of Girls and Women in Sports) in the late 1980's. NAGWS Women's College Rules were a mish-mash of NBCUSC (National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada, the precursor to the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees) and FIBA Rules. I think that most of us are familiar with the FIBA TO request rule: Only HCs may request a TO: It must be made to the Scorer and the request is granted at the first Dead Ball-Clock Stopped stoppage of play.

It as only been in the last 60 years or so that HCs could huddle with their teams during TOs. And most of us remember the days when only players on the court could request a TO. The reason being is that historically, the HC is a non-entity in the rules. Historically, by rule, the Team Captain was the actual man in charge on the court and in charge of his entire team. Even now the rules state that a team consists of five player, one of whom is the Captain.

I use my Captains Meeting let the captains know that they are the leaders of their teams and that I will come to them first when players, substitutes, and bench personnel (including HCs) start to become a problem.

The best example of a captain being in charge was a game from 1994. The game was the Michigan AAU Girls' 14U Championship Game with the winner going to the National Championship Tournament (actually Michigan AAU also qualified its second and third place teams that year). The point guard for the team that eventually lost the game was also her team's captain. The HC had been chipping (but not stepping over the line) but eventually he started skating on thin ice and as his PG/TC was dribbling the ball up the court I told her that her HC was skating on thin ice and that she needed to handle it the first chance she had. At that point in front of a crowd of about 75 people she looked over at her bench and yelled: "Dad, shut up! You are embarrassing me!" Needless to say, we did not hear from the HC the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

These May Be Outdated ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 06:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Was there ever any rule basis for a pregame meeting? I could have sworn that there was such a rule, but I can find no requirement in the rulebook for such a meeting.

This is the closest that I can find:

2-4: The referee shall: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team
member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that
all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.