The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 10:31am
Often wrong never n doubt

Foul commited on free throw shooter.

With the new rule change on when players can enter the lane on the free throw attempt I foresee a situation I don't know the answer to. What is the ruling when a player displaces the free throw shooter while the ball is in flight and the contact warrants a foul?

Situations
1. Front end of bonus free throws and shot is made or first first free throw in a 2 shot foul.
2. Front end of bonus free throws and shot is missed or second free throw in a two shot foul.

My guesses are
1. Clear the lane for the second free throw. After the completion of the second free throw Team A will be awarded bonus free throws if applicable or the ball out of bounds on the end line underneath the basket if team A is not in the bonus.

2. No more free throws for the original foul and then Team A will be awarded bonus free throws if applicable or the ball out of bounds on the end line underneath the basket if team A is not in the bonus.

Am I correct?
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 10:34am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Am I correct?
Yes.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 01:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

I've never had to call a foul under NCAA rule set, don't see it being any different for HS games.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I've never had to call a foul under NCAA rule set, don't see it being any different for HS games.
You see things like this happening mostly in girls' games. Some coaches teach it and then claim they are teaching their players to "box out".
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 03:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
You see things like this happening mostly in girls' games. Some coaches teach it and then claim they are teaching their players to "box out".

PG_Ref:

Boys' coaches also teach their players to "box out". It amazes me how adorable some coaches are: If A1 is pushed off of his rebounding spot from behind by B1 that is a pushing ("OVER THE BACK!! OVER THE BACK!!, ) foul by B1; BUT, if A1 backs into B1 and pushes B1 off of his rebounding spot, that is just "boxing out". When I explain it to them they get that classic "deer caught in the headlights, " look.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 05:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Back To The Future ???

Quote:
With the new rule change on when players can enter the lane on the free throw attempt I foresee a situation I don't know the answer to. What is the ruling when a player displaces the free throw shooter while the ball is in flight and the contact warrants a foul?
Hopefully the NFHS will resurrect this old rule:

1996-97 (A year before they changed release to hit) NFHS Basketball Rulebook

9-9: No opponent occupying a marked lane space shall break the plane of the free throw line. Note: The restriction applies until the ball touches the ring, or backboard, or until the free throw ends.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

9-9: No opponent occupying a marked lane space shall break the plane of the free throw line. Note: The restriction applies until the ball touches the ring, or backboard, or until the free throw ends.
Hopefully not. It was entirely unnecessary.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Situations
1. Front end of bonus free throws and shot is made or first first free throw in a 2 shot foul.
2. Front end of bonus free throws and shot is missed or second free throw in a two shot foul.

My guesses are
1. Clear the lane for the second free throw. After the completion of the second free throw Team A will be awarded bonus free throws if applicable or the ball out of bounds on the end line underneath the basket if team A is not in the bonus.

2. No more free throws for the original foul and then Team A will be awarded bonus free throws if applicable or the ball out of bounds on the end line underneath the basket if team A is not in the bonus.

Am I correct?
I would say yes you are correct in the proper award, but the question I have is the location of the throw in. I have always been told if you have the foul outside the free throw line, the throw in is on the sideline, not under the basket. Since this case would appear the foul like occurs right at the free throw line, where is the correct place for the throw in? On the side or underneath. Personally I would give it underneath as well, but I could see a coach arguing otherwise.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 10:55pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I have always been told if you have the foul outside the free throw line, the throw in is on the sideline, not under the basket.
Who told you this?? Have you not read the mechanics manual? Here is the diagram:

Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 06:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let It Hit, And Then Get Ready To Rumble ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Hopefully not. It was entirely unnecessary.
It kept the defensive players in the lane from contacting the free thrower, who is forced, by rule, to maintain his position, forcing the official to decide if any contact was incidental, or illegal.

Otherwise, it's real easy to box out a shooter when he can't, by rule, go around you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 06:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

You'll Be Hearing From His People ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle

Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 07:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It kept the defensive players in the lane from contacting the free thrower, who is forced, by rule, to maintain his position, forcing the official to decide if any contact was incidental, or illegal.

Otherwise, it's real easy to box out a shooter when he can't, by rule, go around you.
As I said before, it has never occurred in a game I've worked using college rules. For it to start occurring in HS games would mean instituting a coaching strategy that has never before existed.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

The ruling wouldn't be any different from an opponent of the shooter fouling along the lane during rebounding action. The potential shooter for bonus FTs would be the only change. If a teammate of the shooter along the lane fouls, then the same penalties apply with the ball or FTs being awarded to the opposite team.
What's the big deal?
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Most players dont jump on free throws. Players cannot leave until ball is released. By the time they get there to foul I can't imagine a situation where they are still in the act of shooting. Just call the hit a rebounding foul.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As I recall, part of the reasonig for the rule was to avoid a perceived intimidation of the free throw shooter by opponents in the top slots. In womens' games, I've seen an opponent jump into the lane, and extend her buttocks back across the shooter's line. If allowed on a first shot attempt, it can have an affect on the the fre thrower's ability to shoot the next without undue concern.