The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 06:32am
C'mon man!!

New college ref advice

Hey guys, I have been fortunate enough to get hired by a small JUCO conference and am very excited about it. I am rather new, (Completed four seasons of freshmen to JV ball) all two man and have never worked a varsity game in season. I have attended two camps every year for the last three years. I realize that I am pretty inexperienced, but thanks to you guys my rules knowledge is great, thanks to YouTube and videos posted here I think my call selection and play calling is decent as well.

My questions to the forum are:
What are some of the pitfalls of starting college so early and what are strategies to overcome them.

I had a friend suggest that it may be possible that my future HS schedule will be penalized because of me working college. Any thoughts to the veracity of this?

Suggestions on how to make a good transition or to lessen the learning curve.

Thanks, everyone, I owe a lot of my success to the people on this forum.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 06:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post

I had a friend suggest that it may be possible that my future HS schedule will be penalized because of me working college. Any thoughts to the veracity of this?
If your goal is to become a college official then you cannot worry about the effect it will have on your HS schedule. But in most cases, HS assignors appreciate having college officials on their rosters.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 09:53am
Official & Member

Quote:
Congrats on the hiring. I can't speak to the transition as I only do HS ball. I can tell you from past observations that the only way to get "penalized" on your HS schedule is to refuse to use HS mechanics and rules.

I've seen college officials continue to use college mechanics for HS games and insist on continuing after being spoken to about it. As BNR mentioned, most assigners appreciate having college guys available for HS games as they are obviously well qualified and generally better than most, but remember that they hire you to do a HS game...that means knowing the HS rules and mechanics specifically.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

JUCO vs. varsity

First off, congratulations! As someone who works NCAA DIII and high school varsity, I can tell you the expectation is that you officiate the game you're working that day.

That is-- HS mechanics in a HS game, college mechanics in a college game. Rules enforcement (sounds like you have that down).

What you may find is that your college games run smoother than your HS games. You'll also most-certainly find that your college games have far fewer people in the stands...really depends on what part of the country you are in.

The good news is that you don't have too many bad habits to break as a 'young' official...and there's no question your assignors will continue to partner you with veterans--you're not the 'R' yet at any level. Good luck!
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Congrats on the hire.

If you are working Men's college, then the mechanics are basically the same. There are some additional signals on the Men's side, but the basic mechanics are the same.

My main advice, make sure you realize you are why you are working the game you are assigned to work. If you are working with a big time or long time veteran, do not do more than you should. That means let them take the lead and help you. You have to be strong, but you do not need to be the "go-to-guy" for everything until you feel comfortable with your partners or they feel comfortable with you. Chances are you are not going to work a game with someone brand new like you to the league. But that does not mean not to sit in the background either. Many times the way you get respect is stepping up and calling what you see or saving the crew from a rules mistake.

Call your area strong. Have a good pre-game and ask questions of your partners. Tell them you are not a veteran to the league so they can help you. Know the college rules that you will have to apply.

Most of all, have fun. After all that is why you are there in the first place right?

Peace
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 01:57pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
First off, congratulations! As someone who works NCAA DIII and high school varsity, I can tell you the expectation is that you officiate the game you're working that day.

That is-- HS mechanics in a HS game, college mechanics in a college game. Rules enforcement (sounds like you have that down).

What you may find is that your college games run smoother than your HS games. You'll also most-certainly find that your college games have far fewer people in the stands...really depends on what part of the country you are in.

The good news is that you don't have too many bad habits to break as a 'young' official...and there's no question your assignors will continue to partner you with veterans--you're not the 'R' yet at any level. Good luck!
I should clarify, my HS rules knowledges really good, college, not so much.
Suggestions on where to get college rules/mechanics books and where to start my focus for this first year?
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Suggestions on where to get college rules/mechanics books and where to start my focus for this first year?
Join the NCAA group on Arbiter. You'll get rules and mechanics books shipped, and access to videos, interps, tests, quizzes, etc (the specifics will depend on NCAAM or NCAAW).
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats on getting picked up on the JUCO Level. As for helping with your rules knowledge would be to get a mentor or study group to help you understand the differences within the rules and mechanics. Also, the possibility of joining the Central Hub on Arbiter. This will allow you access to PDF versions of the rule book and case book along with video clips to help you out (I know on the Women's side they have it; I can't speak from the Men's side).

Another thing to do is to ask some of the distinguished members of the forum as some of them have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the college game and can help on some insight, but my main advice would be still join the central hub and/or join a study group with a mentor who has an extra rule book who can help!
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sharp,
Congrats! You and I are almost mirror images. I too got picked up this summer in a small JUCO conference. I only have one more year of experience than you. (I did my first season as a varsity official last year.) I am also very confident of high school rules (with big thanks to everyone on this forum) but not so much on the NCAA. I signed up for the NCAA Women's Basketball Central Hub on Arbiter even though I'm not working NCAA. My welcome package includes the rules book, case plays, and the CCA Manual. I haven't received them yet but I'm told it'll be soon. Plus there are great vids on the site. My strategy for the rules deficit: I'm gonna study my butt off, call the obvious, and do the best I can to wrap my head around the LDB en vivo. There's also a chart that shows the major differences between the two in the back of the Fed and NCAA rule books. But probably foremost in my mind: As someone who's very wise on this site reminded me, "There's a reason you got picked up."

Last edited by Rooster; Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 02:32pm.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

This may or may not be true in your neighborhood, but I found one of the biggest transitions in going from HS to College was interacting with the coaches.

In my experience, college coaches will try much harder to "work" you for a call.
They will also tend to test you more to see what you will take when they realize that you are a new official to the conference or league.

Just be sure to take care of business and good luck.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey guys, I have been fortunate enough to get hired by a small JUCO conference and am very excited about it. I am rather new, (Completed four seasons of freshmen to JV ball) all two man and have never worked a varsity game in season. I have attended two camps every year for the last three years. I realize that I am pretty inexperienced, but thanks to you guys my rules knowledge is great, thanks to YouTube and videos posted here I think my call selection and play calling is decent as well.

My questions to the forum are:
What are some of the pitfalls of starting college so early and what are strategies to overcome them.

Suggestions on how to make a good transition or to lessen the learning curve.

Thanks, everyone, I owe a lot of my success to the people on this forum.
To join in the chorus, congratulations! To go to the questions, in order:

*The only pitfall I can think of is believing you're better than you are or better than your partners, either in HS or JUCO (not to say you would/do). The basketball gods find great ways to humble you when your head gets too big. There's always something to learn from every game, every video and every partner.

*You shouldn't have any issues with your HS schedule. I say shouldn't because the vast majority of HS assignors understand officials - especially younger officials - want to move up. There are some who flat out don't want you to turn back one of their games for an NJCAA/NCAA game and/or want you to consider them as #1 in your hierarchy. I know of one or two in my area who feel this way. I opted not to try to join their HS staffs. Ask your HS assignor(s) about their policy.

*The learning curve is what it is. Don't try to move too fast. You're going to make mistakes. A partner I've worked with more than a few times was involved in a "six on the court" scenario in a D3 game last season that was caught on video. He was devastated by it for a while...until he saw a friend of his get stuck in the same spot on national television. The guy who had it happen on national TV? Zach Garba in the NBA Finals. Moral of the story: Everybody screws up. The trick is to learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again. Apart from that watch video, ask questions and get into your rule book and CCA manual.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This may or may not be true in your neighborhood, but I found one of the biggest transitions in going from HS to College was interacting with the coaches.

In my experience, college coaches will try much harder to "work" you for a call.
They will also tend to test you more to see what you will take when they realize that you are a new official to the conference or league.

Just be sure to take care of business and good luck.
I will echo this comment and add that college coaches typically understand the mechanics and rules better than HS coaches and they will call you on it! You have to know your stuff. There is more at stake at the college level...in HS, the coach is also probably employed in some other capacity by the school and so wins and losses won't dictate future employment. In college, coaches are paid to win and so their livelihood is on the line.

BTW congrats!
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 03:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Huh?

Quote:
...hired by a small JUCO conference...I am rather new, (Completed four seasons of freshmen to JV ball) all two man and have never worked a varsity game in season...I realize that I am pretty inexperienced, but thanks to you guys my rules knowledge is great...
What are some of the pitfalls of starting college so early and what are strategies to overcome them...
I don't want to rain on the parade here, but does anyone call to mind the caution about advancing too quickly? I do wish our friend the best on his sudden advancement, I really do. But to go from 2-man sublevel high school straight to 3-man college??? I've never heard of that, at least not around here. I've seen plenty of guys, however, trying to make the jump from that starting point to the HS 3-man ranks and not recover from the inadequacies that all to soon became readily apparent. I do wish Sharpy the best, but I can't in my own mind picture the upside to this.
And I'm an optimist. I really am.
Hope it works out.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 04:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Take The Nestea Plunge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
But to go from 2-man sublevel high school straight to 3-man college?
We've had several of our guys, and gals, go from a high school two person subvarsity schedule to a Division II and/or III womens schedule. We've got a real good high school training program here, and a lot of really good, well trained, subvarsity officials are impatient about moving up to a full high school varsity schedule (at best, it takes seven years here) so they take the plunge into low level college games where many are successful.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 05:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

I saw an official get hired in D2 & D3 after his first year of HS officiating. Some supervisors like raw talent.