The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 06:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
10-5-5 only applies to team members, who, by definition, are members of bench personnel who are in uniform, and are eligible to become players. 10-5-5 does not apply to bench personnel who are not in uniform, i.e. coaches.

It is my contention that 10-1-4 could apply to coaches, who are part of the team, and, thus, must occupy the team bench to which it has been assigned.

It does make a difference. 10-1-4 is only a technical charged to the team. 10-5-5 is a technical charged directly to the head coach, who must now sit, and is only one direct technical away from getting the old heave-ho.
My point is that it seems clear to me that the NFHS wants all team members within the bench area, except at half time. I'm all for knowing what the rules say, but don't you have to charge the head coach if you're going to use 10-1-4 instead of 10-5-5?
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Different Penalties ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Don't you have to charge the head coach if you're going to use 10-1-4 instead of 10-5-5?
No. 10-1-4 is a team technical, charged to the team, not to the head coach, a similar penalty to a delay of game technical foul, or a technical foul for requesting (and being granted) an excess time-out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 30, 2014 at 06:17am.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 07:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No. 10-1-4 is a team technical, charged to the team, not to the coach, a similar penalty to a delay of game technical foul, or a technical foul for requesting (and being granted) an excess time-out.
Thanks, I couldn't remember and my book is missing for the time being.

So using 10-4, you get a team T.

Using 10-5, you get a direct T on the AC and an indirect on the HC.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Thanks, I couldn't remember and my book is missing for the time being.

So using 10-4, you get a team T.

Using 10-5, you get a direct T on the AC and an indirect on the HC.
Still not correct. The penalty for 10-5-5 is a direct T charged to the HC. However, that only applies if the person leaving the bench is a team member.
Since the AC is not, one cannot properly use 10-5-5 and the only route which is can see is 10-1-4 as Billy suggests.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 11:08pm
AremRed

I'm not sure I would notice the if an assistant left the bench to bitch from a different location. If on the bench and bad, whack. If in the stands and bad, stop game and remove. Unless I had whacked him prior to his leaving the bench I doubt I would notice his absence.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I'm not sure I would notice the if an assistant left the bench to bitch from a different location. If on the bench and bad, whack. If in the stands and bad, stop game and remove. Unless I had whacked him prior to his leaving the bench I doubt I would notice his absence.
1. Why are you removing him? If you think that he is merely a spectator, his behavior would have to be pretty bad to warrant removal.

2. If you know that he is the asst coach, you don't need to worry about where he is complaining from because you can simply penalize him for unsporting behavior. That question would only arise if you had interest in assessing two technical fouls to him.

3. I'm not in favor of removing him without assessing any penalty.