The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Summer ejection #1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98231-summer-ejection-1-a.html)

Rich Mon Jul 28, 2014 06:46am

Summer ejection #1

Working 4 games yesterday. These are games 5 and 6 since March. With my parents in town, the $100 I made paid for dinner. Almost.

Quiet as can be all day, except for a short burst in the first half of game 2.

Team A in a halfcourt set. A40, a real GFU, cleared space for a teammate driving with the ball by moving an opponent out of the way. Really easy team control foul, which I call.

A40 then starts up the floor, clapping his hands loudly above his head. Partner and I whack him at the same time. A40 then has a meltdown and as he's heading to the bench takes his jersey off over his head. Partner and I eject him at the same time.

Mark Padgett Mon Jul 28, 2014 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 938341)
With my parents in town, the $100 I made paid for dinner. Almost.

Yeah, I know. Those street taco wagons can be really expensive. ;)

JetMetFan Mon Jul 28, 2014 09:06am

Quote:

A40 then starts up the floor, clapping his hands loudly above his head. Partner and I whack him at the same time. A40 then has a meltdown and as he's heading to the bench takes his jersey off over his head. Partner and I eject him at the same time.

You know, they really got on us in camps this summer about double whistles... :D

APG Mon Jul 28, 2014 09:28am

Who's watching the other 8 players? ;)

AremRed Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 938346)
Who's watching the other 8 players? ;)

The 9th player presumably.

billyu2 Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:46am

Quote:

Working 4 games yesterday. These are games 5 and 6 since March. With my parents in town, the $100 I made paid for dinner. Almost.

Quiet as can be all day, except for a short burst in the first half of game 2.

Team A in a halfcourt set. A40, a real GFU, cleared space for a teammate driving with the ball by moving an opponent out of the way. Really easy team control foul, which I call.

Still early in the game. Did the kid do anything prior that got you two riled? Maybe he's a goof with an immature attitude; but is it possible you and your partner had a prior attitude toward him as well? I don't know, maybe I would have done the same thing or perhaps told the team captain to tell A40 he's gonna get whacked next time.

APG Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 938351)
The 9th player presumably.

He's on the honor system and thus the officials don't have to worry about him. :D

And to stay somewhat on topic, haven't had to eject anyone this summer...handful to T's here and there.

Adam Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 938353)
Still early in the game. Did the kid do anything prior that got you two riled? Maybe he's a goof with an immature attitude; but is it possible you and your partner had a prior attitude toward him as well? I don't know, maybe I would have done the same thing or perhaps told the team captain to tell A40 he's gonna get whacked next time.

Really? You're going to warn on this?

billyu2 Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 938357)
Really? You're going to warn on this?

In the first incident, maybe. The kid was on his way down the floor, and apparently nothing had gone on before this. It wasn't like the kid stood there looking and clapping directly at the official. But as I also said, maybe I would have done the same as Rich were it me.

JetMetFan Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 938355)
And to stay somewhat on topic, haven't had to eject anyone this summer...handful to T's here and there.

Just one in camp. Kid was complaining about calls from his first foul. Gave him one in the 2nd half. He responded with, "I don't give a f***." And there ended our interactions for the afternoon.

Had him in the evening session and he was fine. My guess is his HC spoke with him (it was a team camp).

Adam Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 938365)
In the first incident, maybe. The kid was on his way down the floor, and apparently nothing had gone on before this. It wasn't like the kid stood there looking and clapping directly at the official. But as I also said, maybe I would have done the same as Rich were it me.

Knowing Rich, I'm relatively certain he isn't trigger happy with the technical fouls. I can safely assume that if I saw this video, I'd happily concur with the first T. The second is practically automatic.

BatteryPowered Mon Jul 28, 2014 02:20pm

I had an assistant coach eject himself Friday night...can I count that one? :D

Kansas Ref Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 938391)
I had an assistant coach eject himself Friday night...can I count that one? :D

*how does a participant "eject him-self" ?

BatteryPowered Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 938439)
*how does a participant "eject him-self" ?

It was early in the second quarter and I was working "one man" mechanics as my partner was held up in traffic. A player drove the baseline from the corner and right before he got to the lane gathered the ball to shoot. A defender stepped toward him so he simply ran (while holding the ball) to the other side of the lane. I called the travel and the assistant almost went nuts (figure it was his kid). I tell him to settle down and remind the coach that the assistant is his responsibility but the guy just walks down the sideline and out of the gym. Left on his own and stood in the hallway for the rest of the game watching through the door.

Therefore, he ejected himself. :p

bainsey Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 938442)
It was early in the second quarter and I was working "one man" mechanics as my partner was held up in traffic. A player drove the baseline from the corner and right before he got to the lane gathered the ball to shoot. A defender stepped toward him so he simply ran (while holding the ball) to the other side of the lane. I called the travel and the assistant almost went nuts (figure it was his kid). I tell him to settle down and remind the coach that the assistant is his responsibility but the guy just walks down the sideline and out of the gym. Left on his own and stood in the hallway for the rest of the game watching through the door.

Therefore, he ejected himself. :p

Let's take this a step further.

Regular season game. AC starts chirping, so you tell the HC to control his bench. The AC gets up and moves off the bench, to another part of the gym. He remains mouthy.

Toss? Whack?