The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 15, 2000, 02:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

Yesterday, I worked two games with a ref who had been spit upon by a player last weekend. Apparently, there had been so many technicals called in the game, that both officials told both coaches that if there were any more, the game would be called (this is a fall varsity boys rec league). Another player swore at one of the officials, so they called the game.

As one of the officials was leaving the court to report the incident to the front desk personnel, a player came up from behind and spit on the officials neck.

This player is a senior and one of the top prospects in our state (Oregon). He is the son of a former NBA All-Star.

He has been suspended for the balance of the rec league and the official is considering filing assault charges under Oregon's new sports official protection act. If charges are filed and the offender is convicted, there is an automatic hefty fine under this law. The law does not preclude a D.A. from filing a normal assault charge instead (which could include jail time for a more serious offense) and does not preclude the official from filing separately in civil court.

The official has not yet decided whether or not to file. What do you think?
Old Sun Oct 15, 2000, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Exclamation

Mark, as I posted on one of the other boards, I would
talk to the DA about pressing charges and then find
a good, aggresive lawyer who wants to make his name
suing the son of a former NBA all-star. Make it hurt.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2000, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,

Can you give us some details. We might want to follow the progress of this for eReferee.com. Please email me at: [email protected]. Thanks.
John Milstead, Football Editor, eReferee.com (also a basketball official)
Old Mon Oct 16, 2000, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Unhappy

I believe that your partner should turn over to the DA any and all information for prosecution.

It seems to me that the most kids today have never had to take responsibility for their actions! I wonder if the players parents were at the game? More likely then not the rec league is looked upon by some as a giant babysitting service that is expected to teach kids common traits such as manners and respect for one another.

I know that my comment's are not a blanket covering all kids, but the trend as we have all witnessed is to blame someone else, "it's not my fault he made me do it!" No it's not the fault of any game official for doing there job, with all the technical's called in the game in question the TRAVESTY rule must be invocked!

My Grandmother had a great saying, "Life is a lousy Teacher, it gives you the Test first and then the lesson!" I believe that the basketball court is a place that should be seen as a life lesson, that you are responsible for your actions and just because you may be a gifted athlete does not excuse you from responsibilty!

Good Luck
Old Wed Oct 18, 2000, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Wait on the lawsuit

While I agree that the DA should receive the information and determine whether this is a case that should be taken to court, Dan's strategy of hitting hard with a lawsuit should be taken with caution. I don't know much about the politics of refereeing, but it seems to me that a very strong response will either meet with strong approval or strong resentment. Extreme action is by its nature higher risk. It doesn't mean don't do it, but think through all possible effects before acting in this manner. If this ref wants to continue and possibly move up, the potential negative effects of taking a highly visible lawsuit may hurt his chances. Then again, that lawsuit may be just what the association would like to see occur to prevent future abuse.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2000, 11:45am
certified Hot Mom tester

Post Re: consequences of filing suit

I may see this ref again this weekend and if I do, I will let you know what he had decided. I think the prevailing opinion here is that he should, and that it would not hurt his career.

The tone right now in Oregon is to come down hard on these kinds of acts. Last legislative session, we passed a sports officials assault protection bill and our state activities association (which governs all high school activities here) instituted harsh new penalties for coaches who misbehave.

If he files suit, he will get three things: publicity, support and money.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2000, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Angry

I believe that unless someone is willing to say enough is enough and let ever player, coach and fan know that this type of aggressive behavor is not going to be tolerated them we must just take the brunt of being the authoritative figure in a sports situation.

Nuff said, good luck in the situation
Old Thu Oct 19, 2000, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

It is time that the young man becomes responsible for the consequence of his actions. It would appear he has been able to get away with this behavior in the past. (Is this how Dennis Rodeman started??)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Yesterday, I worked two games with a ref who had been spit upon by a player last weekend. Apparently, there had been so many technicals called in the game, that both officials told both coaches that if there were any more, the game would be called (this is a fall varsity boys rec league). Another player swore at one of the officials, so they called the game.

As one of the officials was leaving the court to report the incident to the front desk personnel, a player came up from behind and spit on the officials neck.

This player is a senior and one of the top prospects in our state (Oregon). He is the son of a former NBA All-Star.

He has been suspended for the balance of the rec league and the official is considering filing assault charges under Oregon's new sports official protection act. If charges are filed and the offender is convicted, there is an automatic hefty fine under this law. The law does not preclude a D.A. from filing a normal assault charge instead (which could include jail time for a more serious offense) and does not preclude the official from filing separately in civil court.

The official has not yet decided whether or not to file. What do you think?
Old Fri Oct 20, 2000, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
WELCOME

Hello Glenn,

Welcome to eReferee.com!

Hope all is well with you in Tacoma. Tell Max I said Hello.