The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 16, 2000, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Question

My daughters boyfriend (a sophmore) played and started as point guard for the varsity team at the local high school last year. He is a humble and very quiet individual. Here is the problem, last years coach quit and a new one was hired for the coming basketball season. He scheduled 48 games for the varsity summer league, which I thought was a bit much. When it came to conditioning the new coach started one month earlier than last years coach. He requires that all players run the mile in less than 6 minutes. This is just one issue with his conditioning rituals. He takes after school time into the evening for practice. My daughters boyfriend approached the coach and asked if he could have some time to do his homework and the coach basically said your only young once and if you can't take it goodbye. So my daughters boyfriend quit the team. I think this is a waste of talent.
Does anyone have any comments on this?
Old Mon Oct 16, 2000, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

This is a tough one. My doughter and i are in Taekwondo. Our instructor says homework comes first. If she has homework on the nights of class, she may bring her work to class and sit off to the back and do her homework. It sounds like this coach has no options the students. Sorry i guess i'm no help.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2000, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
This is really a tough one. 48 summer games? I hope they were not every night. As a former coach myself, school comes first. I feel more honor out of having an Acedemic All American then having an All American. My suggestion is that the kid find another activity to take his time during basketball season such as conditioning with the track or football team. Run track in the spring. Or play golf, tennis or whatever. If the basketball coach is going to be that demanding, find a sport that isn't. He is right, you are only young once. Enjoy it. Don't make sports work.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2000, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

For all the good a discussion on this subject will do, but anyway, I know the coach was wrong, but why would he do that to a starter? How big is the school? In my area, you loose a starter, you're in trouble, but maybe he had a reason. Someone else in the wings? perhaps it was personallity, who knows ? But may the kid can still play at some level, are there rec. leagues in your area? Take Care. Good Luck