The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 28, 2014, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Camps

Went to a HS camp this weekend and had a few observations. Mostly it seemed like it was a huge money maker for the clinicians. 15 schools at $400 each. Around 25 officials at $60 each. Thats $7500.00. The facility was free (in conjunction with the home team). Most of the clinicians left by noon the first day. I felt like all we were was free labor. Sure they had snacks and water but where does the $7500 go?

And then they ask if we can work Sunday as well (5 full games each) no clinicians or assignors will be there but you get a meal ticket at the concession stand.....
Old Sat Jun 28, 2014, 09:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

No thank you would be my reply
Old Sat Jun 28, 2014, 09:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Our association ran a camp this weekend.

The team fees sure as hell didn't come to us -- they went to the host school. We simply took over the assigning function for officials he'd have to hire and pay. We also gave him a discount on the game fees he'd pay for letting us have our camp.

So we took in $75 per camper and received $120/hour in game fees (for 7 hours). That's less than $2500.

From that money, we fed people, provided water, gave everyone a camp shirt or something like that, and gave the clinicians association long-sleeved pullovers. It was a two day clinic, so there was a pizza social last night, too. What's left (I'm sure it's less than $1000) is a fundraiser for our association.

I was a clinician for 7 hours straight. My pay? A long-sleeve pullover. And a 6" Subway sub and a few bottles of water. And the ability to help people and maybe hire a few of them for my HS conference.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

My association runs a camp the first weekend in September. The teams pay a smaller fee than the officials and we charge admission to spectators. We do not pay to use the facility but do let that school put their boys and girls teams in free of charge and their booster club keeps concession proceeds.

The proceeds cover all the expenses related to the camp and salary paid during the year by the association to the two people who assign the games. Because of the camp our annual dues are fairly low.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:02am
Courageous When Prudent

I have an opinion about staff and association camps that I best leave to myself.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I have an opinion about staff and association camps that I best leave to myself.
Yes, silence can't be quoted.

Or, if you can't say anything good, it's better not to say anything at all. Thanks mom.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I don't know if you're referring to a camp like the one I helped with, but we are a teaching and networking association only. We assign NO games. Our clinicians are mostly HS state tournament level officials and our only interest is making people better for a reasonable cost. $75 for 4 hours of classroom and 7 hours of on-court. Pizza dinner and lunch/drinks included.

In 7 hours, I got to work with 22 different officials and wrote up pages of notes that will be passed on. We also worked with those people during the games and reviewed with them at breaks, halftime, and postgame.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't know if you're referring to a camp like the one I helped with, but we are a teaching and networking association only. We assign NO games. Our clinicians are mostly HS state tournament level officials and our only interest is making people better for a reasonable cost. $75 for 4 hours of classroom and 7 hours of on-court. Pizza dinner and lunch/drinks included.

In 7 hours, I got to work with 22 different officials and wrote up pages of notes that will be passed on. We also worked with those people during the games and reviewed with them at breaks, halftime, and postgame.
Addressing the HS aspect only, in my local area nothing is done in those camps to help further anybody's career. Officials only work to fulfill commitments made by the assignor, who may or may not be getting paid to provide officials.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 11:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Addressing the HS aspect only, in my local area nothing is done in those camps to help further anybody's career. Officials only work to fulfill commitments made by the assignor, who may or may not be getting paid to provide officials.
I will personally be hiring at least a few of those officials for varsity games in the conference that I officially start assigning tomorrow (20 boys teams, 19 girls teams). For some, it will be their first varsity assignments.

Also, the entire area here is assigned by conference commissioners and ADs. Networking with other officials allows them to put together crews and approach those people for games. We typically assign crews to games, so people need to agree to work together and then approach the assignors that way.

If what I do makes them better officials, you don't think it helps advance their careers?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 11:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I will personally be hiring at least a few of those officials for varsity games in the conference that I officially start assigning tomorrow (20 boys teams, 19 girls teams). For some, it will be their first varsity assignments.

Also, the entire area here is assigned by conference commissioners and ADs. Networking with other officials allows them to put together crews and approach those people for games. We typically assign crews to games, so people need to agree to work together and then approach the assignors that way.

If what I do makes them better officials, you don't think it helps advance their careers?
In your case yes, but in my area officials are only filling slots. No one on the HS level of officiating is doing anything to help officials get better in my area. It's all strictly a money grab. The person who was stymying growth was voted out of office in 2010, and he simply started a new organization and within a year he had all the public school contracts. Though he has passed away, his organization is still run the same way. That's why I refuse to work for that organization.

On a separate note, how are pre-season scrimmages handled for your schools?

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jun 30, 2014 at 11:38am.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 11:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
In your case yes, but in my area officials are only filling slots.

How are pre-season scrimmages handled for your schools?
Schools hire the officials. Paid just like regular games.

One of my associations uses a preseason scrimmage (with 4-6 teams attending) as a clinic. Pretty laid back. We usually have 4 courts going and 25-30 or so officials rotate in and out. A couple clinicians per floor giving feedback.

The money tends to go to food/drink at a local establishment afterwards for those who attend. Not a money maker at all.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 11:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Schools hire the officials. Paid just like regular games.

One of my associations uses a preseason scrimmage (with 4-6 teams attending) as a clinic. Pretty laid back. We usually have 4 courts going and 25-30 or so officials rotate in and out. A couple clinicians per floor giving feedback.

The money tends to go to food/drink at a local establishment afterwards for those who attend. Not a money maker at all.
Here, the contracts call for the association to provide officials for 2 scrimmages at each school with no compensation. Then you have some schools who will switch up the format once the officials are in place in order to get extra quarters out of the officials.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 12:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Here, the contracts call for the association to provide officials for 2 scrimmages at each school with no compensation. Then you have some schools who will switch up the format once the officials are in place in order to get extra quarters out of the officials.
That's miserable.

I worked a scrimmage like this when I lived in Tennessee. I had a coach act like it was the state playoffs and acted so badly I would've probably whacked and then ejected him. Finally I told him that either he knocks it off or I leave.

He told me to go ahead and try it. I put the ball on the table and went to the house.

My partner stayed and worked solo to try to kiss ass.

I wasn't the one who got reamed out by the supervisor, either, BTW. Good times, good times. About 20 years ago now.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

You want a money grab.... hey bad news how you liking the VHSL madating that everyone get new shirts.... *shakes head*
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 12:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
You want a money grab.... hey bad news how you liking the VHSL madating that everyone get new shirts.... *shakes head*
Yeah, we've discussed that in another thread over the last year. I don't have much positive to say about our state governing board.

Ironically, the only positive thing I have to say about the VHSL is their Beginner and State Evaluation camps.