The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know where I can find out some more information about NBA referee camps?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

http://www.refereeschool.com. This is Coast 2 Coast's website, it is staffed by NBA officials.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know much about these or been to one of these and has some opinion them?

And is your food and hotel included in the price?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

I went to one a few years ago run by Hugh Hollins in Los Angeles. It was well worth my time and money. I learned more about basketball in a week than I had in years.

I know guys who have been to Coast to Coast and say the same thing. The nBA guys teach you to fcus on the game.

The National Pro-Am Association also holds a camp in conjubction with the National Tournament. It is inexpensive and you will learn alot about Pro Officiating as well
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Tolliver's might be something you're looking for. It is a learning camp and they use NBA mechanics. I have heard some good things about it and some not so good things, either way I plan on attending this summer.

Link: http://www.toliverbasketball.com/
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I went to Ronnie Nunn's "Nunn-Better" camp in 2003 and to Phil Robinson's Pro-Am camp in 2004. Both were in Orlando. The Pro-Am Camp is basically the same in style, content and skill level as Nunn-Better. But when Ronnie was hired as Supervisor of Officials for the NBA, he had to stop using his name to promote the camp. At least, that's what I was told.

Each camp was about $525. That included hotel, but not food. Most of the games were officiated at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex.

The instruction is fantastic. The observers are all NBA officials. The feedback is less than spectacular. Let me clarify that. The "in-game" feedback (critique) from the observers is generally very good. But there's no feedback about how you performed overall at the camp. I was very disappointed in that. I didn't like Phil's camp quite as much, for a couple of reasons. Still very good instruction and probably worth your time, tho.

Here's the thread about my trip to Nunn-Better: http://www.officialforum.com/thread/9469
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

I have been to IIOC in Murfreesboro, Tennessee which is the launching pad for young officials wanting to get into the college ranks, and every instructor is an NBA official. We had about 10 to 12 there this year. This is a really good camp. Costs about $550

I also attended Bob Delaney's camp. He only takes 12 people at the most for one session. We only had 4 of us so the instruction is very personal and one on one. You also get to ref pro players. When I went this summer I got to ref to the likes of Tayshaun Prince, Chauncey Billups, Al Harrington, Tyrone Lue, Jarred Jefferies to name a few. This is truly an unbelieveable camp. You get to watch the NBA's official training tapes, and tapes of handling coaches and how it should be correctly done. If you are lucky or in my case not so lucky Joe Borgia (Director of officiating programs and referee development) will walk in on you working a game. The last night we were there we got to go to Bob's house and meet his family. It is unbelieveable how much the NBA has impacted him and his family. This camp runs a little expensive though at about $1200.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I went to Ronnie Nunn's "Nunn-Better" camp in 2003 and to Phil Robinson's Pro-Am camp in 2004. Both were in Orlando. The Pro-Am Camp is basically the same in style, content and skill level as Nunn-Better. But when Ronnie was hired as Supervisor of Officials for the NBA, he had to stop using his name to promote the camp. At least, that's what I was told.

Each camp was about $525. That included hotel, but not food. Most of the games were officiated at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex.

The instruction is fantastic. The observers are all NBA officials. The feedback is less than spectacular. Let me clarify that. The "in-game" feedback (critique) from the observers is generally very good. But there's no feedback about how you performed overall at the camp. I was very disappointed in that. I didn't like Phil's camp quite as much, for a couple of reasons. Still very good instruction and probably worth your time, tho.

Here's the thread about my trip to Nunn-Better: http://www.officialforum.com/thread/9469
Hey Chuck,

I went to Phil's camp in Las Vegas and I thought it was great. What didnt you like about it?
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 09:33am
Do not give a damn!!

I have considered going to the camp in Las Vegas run with a National Pro-Am Tournament. I have heard some really good things about that tournament and the camp. I also know a couple of people that got hired in the CBA as a result. I know one of the directors of the Pro Am out of Chicago and he talked about the NBA taking a bigger role in evaluations of the camp. I do not know the name of the camp. I just know it usually starts around the first week of April.

I also have been told that brand new officials should stay away since they cannot grasp advanced ideas and techniques.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have considered going to the camp in Las Vegas run with a National Pro-Am Tournament. I have heard some really good things about that tournament and the camp. I also know a couple of people that got hired in the CBA as a result. I know one of the directors of the Pro Am out of Chicago and he talked about the NBA taking a bigger role in evaluations of the camp. I do not know the name of the camp. I just know it usually starts around the first week of April.

I also have been told that brand new officials should stay away since they cannot grasp advanced ideas and techniques.

Peace
The camp was the Reebok Big Time classic. Phil Robinson runs the camp in LV.