Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 03:58am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I find it to be another excuse/reason to attack officials. Any coach (at any level) that happens to see the study/article might come tothe conclusion that taller refs are going to give them a better game. Hogwash.

Just seems like a silly waste of time to me.
I would hope coaches are not reading the Journal of Sports Economics. We have enough on our plate dispelling rules myths, we shouldn't have to deal with this BS too.

On the other hand, one man's silly waste of time is another man's masters thesis.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I find it to be another excuse/reason to attack officials. Any coach (at any level) that happens to see the study/article might come tothe conclusion that taller refs are going to give them a better game. Hogwash.

It causes me to wonder why the variable (height) was chosen. Why not skin color? Baldness? Birthdate? Weight? Just seems like a silly waste of time to me.
I didn't see anything that suggested that the calls were incorrect. People can draw whatever conclusion they want, but the study/article doesn't imply that more fouls is a bad thing. I've heard "That was a foul" on a no-call just as much as I've heard "He didn't touch him" on a called foul. Any coach might also come to the conclusion that shorter refs are going to give them a better game.

I'd actually be curious to see a study on other factors too. Officials aren't robots and certainly aren't all the same. If heavier officials for example, had a slightly different rate of foul calls than skinnier officials, that would be interesting too.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I would hope coaches are not reading the Journal of Sports Economics. We have enough on our plate dispelling rules myths, we shouldn't have to deal with this BS too.

On the other hand, one man's silly waste of time is another man's masters thesis.
Ahh, so true!
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 10:06am
Esteemed Participant

If this was a study on the number of calls calls made by officials based on the officials height, why would they have to adjust the study based on race and experience???
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
If this was a study on the number of calls calls made by officials based on the officials height, why would they have to adjust the study based on race and experience???
I'm sure there are others with more statistics background who can give a better answer ... but basically, in order to make a claim that is statistically significant, they need to eliminate other potential causes as not significant.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 11:15am
certified Hot Mom tester

I saw a study that stated left-handed officials with blue eyes call more fouls on players with even numbered jerseys and nose hair in games held on weekends!

I hope the league gets this straightened out. It's not fair to favor teams whose players wear only odd numbered jerseys and trim their nose hair during warm-ups.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 12:52pm
This IS My Social Life

Simply Put...

Correlation does not imply causation.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 01:47pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I'm sure there are others with more statistics background who can give a better answer ... but basically, in order to make a claim that is statistically significant, they need to eliminate other potential causes as not significant.
So they only included short Hispanic officials with less than 5 years experience in this study????
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

It causes me to wonder why the variable (height) was chosen. Why not skin color? Baldness? Birthdate? Weight? Just seems like a silly waste of time to me.

I totally agree with you. I think if you are going to use height, you better look at other factors or classifications.

Also so what if they call more fouls, what does that have to do with calling a better game?

Peace
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 02:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
So they only included short Hispanic officials with less than 5 years experience in this study????
I think there are a couple of ways to do this, but the easiest would be to put the officials in comparative categories and look at the results within those categories.

But I've only taken enough statistics to get myself into trouble.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 02:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

But I've only taken enough statistics to get myself into trouble.
Pretty much the same classes as the guys who wrote this study!
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Referees with OCD call more fouls on players with uneven socks.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Referees with OCD call more fouls on players with uneven socks.
Since most players wear 2 (or 4 if they double up, or 6 ...) socks, I wouldn't think there would be enough players with uneven socks to have a valid study.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2014, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I totally agree with you. I think if you are going to use height, you better look at other factors or classifications.

Also so what if they call more fouls, what does that have to do with calling a better game?

Peace
Keep in mind that this study was not done with the purpose of evaluating officials. Read the abstract from the study. The NBA simply provides one mechanism/set of data for testing a theory about bias in the workplace (any workplace).

If the purpose of the study was to help officials become more consistent, then they certainly would have looked at other factors/classifications.

Abstract

Given the vast number of observations in a transparent environment, the interaction between players and referees in the National Basketball Association (NBA) provides a real-world laboratory that allows for observation and testing of implicit height-based biases (the so-called “Napoleon Complex”). Controlling for a plethora of referee-specific characteristics and including 4,463 regular season games from 2008 to 2012, we find that (i) more personal fouls are called when a relatively shorter three-person officiating crew is working and (ii) no more or fewer fouls are called when games involve relatively taller players. Such biases are probably not large enough to impact game outcomes but could affect gambling markets. Our findings support the conclusion that relatively shorter NBA referees officiate basketball games differently than their taller peers. The analysis spotlights an oft-suggested but rarely studied bias in a workplace where employees are heavily scrutinized and monitored.