The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Study shows shorter referees call more fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98042-study-shows-shorter-referees-call-more-fouls.html)

AremRed Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46pm

Study shows shorter referees call more fouls

Study: Napoleon Complex Is Real; Shorter NBA Refs Call More Fouls

Nevadaref Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05pm

This post gave me a good laugh today!
I can't wait to see Chuck's response.

*Note that the photo is of Joey Crawford and that he is the only NBA official named in the article.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jun 10, 2014 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 935746)

I resemble that remark! :D

MTD, Sr.

Rob1968 Tue Jun 10, 2014 08:58am

It's all in the angles

I always thought that it's because fouls look different from below than they do from above . . .

Mark Padgett Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:07am

So, this guy calls about 1000 fouls each game?

http://www.espn.go.com/media/nba/200.../g_brawl_i.jpg

Bad Zebra Tue Jun 10, 2014 02:42pm

A total waste of time. The concusion being that a "short" referee would call one more foul over a period of 480 minutes (10 games?). The only thing I find surprising is that it wasn't funded by the federal government. It's useless and dumb enough.

Freddy Tue Jun 10, 2014 02:54pm

This Just In...

Smart coaches yell at the referees less.

Raymond Tue Jun 10, 2014 03:06pm

In deference to APG, I refuse to comment on this article. :D

youngump Tue Jun 10, 2014 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 935778)
A total waste of time. The concusion being that a "short" referee would call one more foul over a period of 480 minutes (10 games?). The only thing I find surprising is that it wasn't funded by the federal government. It's useless and dumb enough.

It's a foul rate per player. So one more foul per two games. It appears to just be some graduate school research. Why the strong negative reaction? Personally I find studies like this a fascinating window into how the sports are officiated.

bob jenkins Tue Jun 10, 2014 03:21pm

Study: Taller Officials Let the Game Get Out of Control by Calling Fewer Fouls

HokiePaul Tue Jun 10, 2014 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 935781)
It's a foul rate per player. So one more foul per two games. It appears to just be some graduate school research. Why the strong negative reaction? Personally I find studies like this a fascinating window into how the sports are officiated.

I agree. I find these things interesting -- and I agree with Rob as to why this is the case. It makes sense that officials who see things from slightly different angles would have slightly different frequency of calls.

Bad Zebra Tue Jun 10, 2014 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 935781)

I find it to be another excuse/reason to attack officials. Any coach (at any level) that happens to see the study/article might come tothe conclusion that taller refs are going to give them a better game. Hogwash.

It causes me to wonder why the variable (height) was chosen. Why not skin color? Baldness? Birthdate? Weight? Just seems like a silly waste of time to me.

Camron Rust Tue Jun 10, 2014 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 935784)
I find it to be another excuse/reason to attack officials. Any coach (at any level) that happens to see the study/article might come tothe conclusion that taller refs are going to give them a better game. Hogwash.

It causes me to wonder why the variable (height) was chosen. Why not skin color? Baldness? Birthdate? Weight? Just seems like a silly waste of time to me.

I mostly agree. The choice of the study is nothing more than a veiled attack suggesting that people that were likely not high level players (that being a somewhat reasonable assumption since height is clearly and advantage for players) can't understand the game.

If instead, they had broken down the foul rate by 20 different criteria and presented it as a whole, it might have been a valid study.

BillyMac Tue Jun 10, 2014 05:04pm

As An Elephant's Eye ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 935782)
Study: Taller Officials Let the Game Get Out of Control by Calling Fewer Fouls

Not quite. It's: Taller Officials Don't Call Game Interrupters And, Therefore, Do A Better Job At Keeping The Game Flowing

BillyMac Tue Jun 10, 2014 05:08pm

I'm A Virgo, I Perform Tasks With Machine Like Planning And Accuracy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 935784)
Birthdate?

So? What's your sign good looking?