The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 04:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Figured I Would Get Some Answers By Startng My Own Thread ...

Twice, on the Forum, over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed NBA players wearing T-shirts, and not only that, but "wrong" color T-shirts.

Chris Paul (white under blue, with different length sleeves):

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post933687

Brandan Wright (black under white):

Mavs Announcer Suspended for Criticizing Officials

What's the rule on T-shirts in the NBA? I found this on the nba.com website: While playing, players must keep their uniform shirts tucked into their pants, and no T-shirts are allowed

I didn't think that they were allowed, but, then again, I know more about being an air traffic controller than I know about NBA rules. Are any of you willing to fly with me as your air traffic controller?

I know that we have a few NBA rule aficionados here on the Forum. What's the story on NBA T-shirts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 09, 2014 at 04:47pm.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

The story is if the NBA cared, then they would tell players not to wear em. As it is now, they don't, so t-shirts are okay.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri May 09, 2014, 04:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well considering that the is pro sports with more at stake than any other level, who cares what is allowed. It is their league and their rules. It has little to do with what we do when it comes to these things. I wish the NF and NCAA cared little about that stuff too.

Peace
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 07:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Guess That I Was Wrong ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well considering that the is pro sports with more at stake than any other level ...
I was under the assumption, probably false, that the NBA was quite tough in regard to what players may, or may not, wear. I thought that everything except sneakers was under the control of the league. Uniform jerseys tucked in, sports coats for coaches, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri May 09, 2014, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I was under the assumption, probably false, that the NBA was quite tough in regard to what players may, or may not, wear. I thought that everything except sneakers was under the control of the league. Uniform jerseys tucked in, sports coats for coaches, etc.
Well yes, the league provides the uniform, but the league (short of sponsorship issues not dealing withe shoes) isn't concerned about arm bands, head bands, matching sleeves and all the other silly stuff NFHS would have us concern ourselves about.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri May 09, 2014, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Well yes, the league provides the uniform, but the league (short of sponsorship issues not dealing withe shoes) isn't concerned about arm bands, head bands, matching sleeves and all the other silly stuff NFHS would have us concern ourselves about.
I do believe that, at least one time, they did prohibit visible undershirts..at least during the Ewing era since it is widely known that he wasn't allowed to continue wearing the T-shirt like he preferred to wear when at Georgetown. Perhaps they have relaxed the regulations in that area.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
But don't try to wear a black facemask! No, no.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NBA Comments on the Rules, Section H

(4) While playing, players must keep their uniform shirts tucked into their pants, and no T-shirts are allowed.

(5) The only article bearing a commercial ‘logo’ which can be worn by players is their shoes
This seems simple enough. Chris Paul and others are wearing compression shirts and there's nothing in the current rule book governing those items.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 10:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
But don't try to wear a black facemask! No, no.
I believe that was a request, it was not a rule. I think Lebron had a choice and he listened to the league.

Peace
Old Sat May 10, 2014, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Both players mentioned here have had shoulder issues this season and in the past. Dwight Howard also wore a black one under a yellow jersey some last year for I believe similar reasons. I think they are wearing them for medical reasons and that is why its being allowed.

For headbands, wrist bands, etc. The NBA definitely has specific ones they must wear. Single league logo on the headbands (you can wear the logo where you like though), even will have green ones for "Green Week."
Old Sat May 10, 2014, 11:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Whatsoever Ye Shall Ask, Ye Shall Receive (Matthew 21:22) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav0 View Post
Both players mentioned here have had shoulder issues this season and in the past. Dwight Howard also wore a black one under a yellow jersey some last year for I believe similar reasons. I think they are wearing them for medical reasons and that is why its being allowed.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

(Cav0: Nice job for only your twelfth post. Keep up the good work and before you know it, you'll become as esteemed Forum member.)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 10, 2014 at 11:21am.
Old Sat May 10, 2014, 04:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

(Cav0: Nice job for only your twelfth post. Keep up the good work and before you know it, you'll become as esteemed Forum member.)
We have a moderator convention scheduled to discuss this. It's tentatively scheduled for the backroom at Papadeaux in San Antonio, as soon as Brad buys the airline tickets.