The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Question i should know these answers, but...

Greetings!

New to the site -- already addicted!

2 questions:

A) When are properly reported subs beckoned to court when 2 FTs are being administered for a technical foul?

B) Is it allowable for a team to use both baskets for warm-ups once one team has retreated to locker room for last-minute instructions prior to a game? Doesn't rules book state something about warming up at basket opposite the bench prior to game? I see this done all the time but not sure it's technically allowed?

Thank you for any replies!
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshawnpet View Post
Greetings!

New to the site -- already addicted!

2 questions:

A) When are properly reported subs beckoned to court when 2 FTs are being administered for a technical foul?

B) Is it allowable for a team to use both baskets for warm-ups once one team has retreated to locker room for last-minute instructions prior to a game? Doesn't rules book state something about warming up at basket opposite the bench prior to game? I see this done all the time but not sure it's technically allowed?

Thank you for any replies!
A) I might be quoting it wrong but it is before the last of the shots that is live. So 1-and-1, it would be the first shot since that could be the last live shot. 2, after the first shot... 3, after the second shot.

B) in NFHS, no they cannot not. In college ball though, I see this done all the time so I'm assuming it is allowed but I'm not a college ref. But once the team comes back out they have to retreat back to their half of the court.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I should have specified NFHS in OP...
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, I should have specified NFHS in OP...
Nah, most of the discussions with regards to rules is usually NFHS, and sometimes FIBA (which I'm not familiar with). Sometimes College rules come into play, but usually only when someone brings up an NCAA game that was on TV and ask about a certain play or whatnot.

Welcome to the board!
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:46am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Greetings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
A) I might be quoting it wrong but it is before the last of the shots that is live. So 1-and-1, it would be the first shot since that could be the last live shot. 2, after the first shot... 3, after the second shot.
Before the last of the shots that is live?

Let's puzzle on that one a bit.

First the language of that sentence. What the hell does it mean?

Next, which shot on a technical foul is "live?"

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Before the last of the shots that is live?

Let's puzzle on that one a bit.

First the language of that sentence. What the hell does it mean?

Next, which shot on a technical foul is "live?"
Did I not say I probably have the wording wrong? Thank you
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

had it packed away but I dug the rulebook out. This is what I was trying to say:

3-3-1c:

During multiple free throws resulting from personal fouls, substitutions may be made only before the final attempt in the sequence and after the final attempt has been converted.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 03:00am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
had it packed away but I dug the rulebook out. This is what I was trying to say:

3-3-1c:

During multiple free throws resulting from personal fouls, substitutions may be made only before the final attempt in the sequence and after the final attempt has been converted.
Yet the question in the OP remains unanswered.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Yet the question in the OP remains unanswered.
ah, you're right. Didn't see "technical".

I've looked through the rulebook, can't seem to find the answer for this one. I think you would wait until all FTs are administered, then beckon the subs before the throw-in.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I am correcting myself on this one.

During Technical FTs, subs can be made before the first shot, or at any time in between shots, and after the shots are taken. Any substitutes can also attempt the Technical Free Throws.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

You have to infer the answer to the first question from NFHS 8-3: "The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s)."

In order for "an eligible substitute" to attempt the FTs, that substitute must be able to enter the game before either the first or second FT. And since the two free throws may be attempted by different players, it may be required to allow a substitution before both the first and second FT.

As far as I know the rules book only specifies that each team must occupy the bench designated by game management and that they begin the game shooting at the basket farthest from their bench. I know of no rule that specifies that they must warm up at that same basket, although obviously that is how it's done. There is no rule, in the rules book at least, that says that a team cannot warm up at both baskets if the other team leaves the floor. And it's generally accepted that if the rules don't say it's illegal, it's legal. However, I believe the NFHS had something to say on the subject a few years ago, at least in regards to prohibiting teams from running through the other teams warmups, circling the floor, competing over the center circle, etc. And I understand some states have policies on the subject as well. So, in your state, this practice may very well be prohibited.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, I am correcting myself on this one.

During Technical FTs, subs can be made before the first shot, or at any time in between shots, and after the shots are taken. Any substitutes can also attempt the Technical Free Throws.
Ya beat me to it, O Speedy One.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Ya beat me to it, O Speedy One.
haha. I accidentally came across 8-3 while looking this up in the rulebook and had the same exact interpretation, that in order for a sub to take the FTs, substitution must be allowed after the referee reports the technical fouls.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 04:23am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:

B) in NFHS, no they cannot not. In college ball though, I see this done all the time so I'm assuming it is allowed but I'm not a college ref. But once the team comes back out they have to retreat back to their half of the court.
CAUTION!!!!!

Relying on rules interpretations fabricated by this individual will severely impact your reputation, career and sanity.

You have been duly warned!!!!!
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

On an early morning crusade?