The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Good news for those of us officials who weigh more then 210 lbs and destroy typical officiating shoes. I just got a call for the running store where I buy my shoes and he said New Balance was coming out with an ALL BLACK running shoe, and it was available in wide sizes. (12 4E here) It is always a "treat" trying to find officiating shoes for me because I am bigger then your average official and my feet are very wide. So no more crushed NB walking shoes, blown NIKE Air pockets or DMX cells. Needless to say I am excited about this development and already placed the order!
For those interested it is the NB 815 and is "officially" (pun intended) November 1.
FYI
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Where did you order from?
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I started going to a specialty running store here in town. My wife had gone for years and when I started a serious effort to lose weight I started going. They spend about an hour evaluating your foot, the way you walk, how you run, etc. You pay full price, but I have noticed a difference in my feet.
At any rate I went in today to pick up a pair of officiating shoes I wanted to try (a New Balance Basketball Shoe) and he told me he just met with his NB rep and the rep told him about this shoe. I say all that to say you may want to check with a specialty shoe store and see if they have their 4th quarter NB catalog in. Not sure what you have in your area, but if we have a specialty running store here I am sure you have one there.
(BTW this is not a NB commercial, I wear Brooks Beast when I run/work out. But NB is the only company that makes wide shoes consistently)
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Good news for those of us officials who weigh more then 210 lbs and destroy typical officiating shoes.
Is there something magical about 210 pounds, or is that just your own rough estimate? I run around 190 and I don't have any problem with my shoes getting damaged. In fact, my podiatrist said my shoes were way too new and I needed to break them in/break them down a little better (after two years of wear!). I can see where width problems would be difficult, but that doesn't have anything to do with weight, does it?
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good news for those of us officials who weigh more then 210 lbs and destroy typical officiating shoes.
This must be what happens when one turns 30!

Seriously, good news about the all black running shoes. I have had a great deal of trouble finding officiating shoes that are comfortable. I have tried Nike, Converse, and And 1 basketball shoes without being pleased. They either don't breathe well, don't have enough cushion, or are just too heavy. The most comfortable shoes I have ever owned are a pair of asics duomax gels that I found at the local running store. Unfortunately, they do not come in black, and certainly not all black. I have been pushing the store owner to see what he can do with his asics rep.
I'll have to check on these NB shoes.

[Edited by Nevadaref on May 15th, 2003 at 04:41 AM]
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Is there something magical about 210 pounds, or is that just your own rough estimate? I run around 190 and I don't have any problem with my shoes getting damaged. In fact, my podiatrist said my shoes were way too new and I needed to break them in/break them down a little better (after two years of wear!). I can see where width problems would be difficult, but that doesn't have anything to do with weight, does it?
Weight has a lot to do with it if you are wearing an Air or DMX type shoe. They are not really designed to take a beating of someone over 200 lbs (men) They will hold up some but eventually blow out. This is even true of the basketball shoes. Walking shoes aren't designed to take constant high impact and for heavier runners get crushed. (I have some funky looking 608's that may pass as modern art!)