The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

That's because both videos show player control fouls. The Syracuse/ Duke call was probably worse since definitely beat him to the spot before he began his upward motion towards the basket. That is the call that made the call at 10 seconds in the second half hard to swallow.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Odessey Sims

If that wouldn't have been her 5th, she would have been gone. All three referees knew how many whe had. And Muffitt McGraw now has an ace in her pocket and she knows it. They have to come down and "give " her a 50 / 50. Up 12 at home she can live with that. I realize that all the purists say she had to call a charge, but that isn't reality.... Right, wrong or indifferent.

If she could do it all over....no call !!!

However Rich is right...would have loves to see a PC called and watch Mulkey lose it...

Give me a MD / Baylor Final and the sideshow would be great.....Mulkey and Friese !!!!! And of course threee female referees.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
If that wouldn't have been her 5th, she would have been gone. All three referees knew how many whe had. And Muffitt McGraw now has an ace in her pocket and she knows it. They have to come down and "give " her a 50 / 50. Up 12 at home she can live with that. I realize that all the purists say she had to call a charge, but that isn't reality.... Right, wrong or indifferent.
Wow! Just wow, that you actually think this way about officiating.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 09:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Wow! Just wow, that you actually think this way about officiating.
At least he's consistent.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

The play in question was definitely an offensive foul (which would have been Odessy Sims 5th foul).

Now fouls number 3 and 4 that were called on her were completely and utterly bogus.

There were a number of instances, calls in favor of each team, that were very suspect. Overall, I would say this crew should have performed better than it did given the fact it was a Regional Final (and you would assume that the assigned officials are of a very high caliber).
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Curious if anyone saw the one person blarge at the 5:05 mark of the second half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Don't think I've ever, or ever seen, an official so clearly going offense then changing it to a block.

Shouldn't this be a chock?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 01:34pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
The play in question was definitely an offensive foul (which would have been Odessy Sims 5th foul).

Now fouls number 3 and 4 that were called on her were completely and utterly bogus.

There were a number of instances, calls in favor of each team, that were very suspect. Overall, I would say this crew should have performed better than it did given the fact it was a Regional Final (and you would assume that the assigned officials are of a very high caliber).
Got video of those "bogus" calls?

Or are we just supposed to take your word for it? Cause based on your track record on this forum, don't think anyone is taking your word for it.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 01:59pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
He didn't change his mind mid signal...he just counted the basket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yup. No question.
This is a block/charge play with the defender trying to draw a charge......can you explain why the official did not give a preliminary signal?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 03:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
This is a block/charge play with the defender trying to draw a charge......can you explain why the official did not give a preliminary signal?
Because he didn't want to?

Even though I disagree with the call, there is absolutely no doubt in anybody's mind what Roger called on that play, so I don't see the big deal about a preliminary.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Even though I disagree with the call, there is absolutely no doubt in anybody's mind what Roger called on that play, so I don't see the big deal about a preliminary.
Actually there was. He points a fist in the other direction (charge) but did so in a chopping motion (count the bucket). And how often do you see block/charge plays that are called blocks that don't get a primary signal? Not often.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 04:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Same reason I wouldn't -- I would come up with the fist and score the basket. Isn't that self-explanatory?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 04:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Actually there was. He points a fist in the other direction (charge) but did so in a chopping motion (count the bucket). And how often do you see block/charge plays that are called blocks that don't get a primary signal? Not often.
More often than you guys think. If it's a charge, he wouldn't score the basket.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Same reason I wouldn't -- I would come up with the fist and score the basket. Isn't that self-explanatory?
Not at the NCAA men's level where the basket can count if the try was released prior to the charging foul. My point is that it is possible to have both, so counting the basket is not clear.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2014, 06:34pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
And how often do you see block/charge plays that are called blocks that don't get a primary signal? Not often.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

There is doubt in my mind.

Quote:
Not at all. Can you tell me why a preliminary signal differentiating whether this is a block or a charge should not be used?
Old Fri Apr 04, 2014, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
You may have a point. She does almost get herself straight-lined (can't really blame her as I thought the action would have gone a different direction).

Sometimes you whistle just kinda blows itself...then you are stuck with needing to make a quick decision.
Sometimes the whistle just........... I like that explanation and yes it has happened to me more than once over the years. I do remember waving the whistle (Eating it)and resuming play at POI.Yes, I looked stupid, but the teams went on. Another time I quickly pretended to pick something up from the floor and put in my pocket.