The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   ND vs Baylor (Women's)- One Person Blarge (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97664-nd-vs-baylor-womens-one-person-blarge-video.html)

VaTerp Tue Apr 01, 2014 08:54am

ND vs Baylor (Women's)- One Person Blarge (Video)

Curious if anyone saw the one person blarge at the 5:05 mark of the second half.

The trail official clearly is about to go offense then changes her mind and calls a block. Had she gone offense it would have been the 5th foul on Baylor's best player when they were already down double digits. Obviously I have no idea if that factored into the quick change in the call but it looked very......interesting.

As for the call itself, I'd like to see it again. My initial reaction seeing it live and with one replay was that it could have gone either way.

Rich Tue Apr 01, 2014 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 930136)
Curious if anyone saw the one person blarge at the 5:05 mark of the second half.

The trail official clearly is about to go offense then changes her mind and calls a block. Had she gone offense it would have been the 5th foul on Baylor's best player when they were already down double digits. Obviously I have no idea if that factored into the quick change in the call but it looked very......interesting.

As for the call itself, I'd like to see it again. My initial reaction seeing it live and with one replay was that it could have gone either way.

The Baylor coach probably would've been ejected, too, which would've been the only really entertaining moment of the game.

JetMetFan Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:25am

video added

Here's the play...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AydMBiYJDoQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ballgame99 Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:34am

From her angle you have to go PC don't you? B1 maintained LGP and wasn't coming toward A1. Now from the other angle there wasn't much contact there and a no call could be justified.

but OP is right, that is a cringe-worthy mechanic by the T.

JetMetFan Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:40am

My $0.02 = she might have realized the moment she blew the whistle it should've been a no-call. Inadvertent is a tough one to sell but she may have thought penalizing the defender was the lesser of two evils.

Again, just a guess.

Not perfect but I know it's happened to me. Not in a regional final but it has...

VaTerp Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 930155)
My $0.02 = she might have realized the moment she blew the whistle it should've been a no-call. Inadvertent is a tough one to sell but she may have thought penalizing the defender was the lesser of two evils.

Again, just a guess.

Not perfect but I know it's happened to me. Not in a regional final but it has...

Thanks for posting the video JMF.

I've had it happen to me where I blew a whistle then immediately thought it should be a no call and I've even changed my mind as I blew my whistle. Don't think I've ever, or ever seen, an official so clearly going offense then changing it to a block. I easily understand how it happens just don't know that I've seen it. Much less on the stage of a regional final. But again, I definitely understand.

IMO looks like a no-call or offense. Not sure what the defender did illegal but also think the defender embellished the contact significantly.

I wonder what the NCAAW tournament assignor thinks of this and what was discussed subsequently.

BatteryPowered Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 930155)

Again, just a guess.

You may have a point. She does almost get herself straight-lined (can't really blame her as I thought the action would have gone a different direction).

Sometimes you whistle just kinda blows itself...then you are stuck with needing to make a quick decision.

Welpe Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:54am

Should have gone with her first instinct.

Adam Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 930161)
Should have gone with her first instinct.

You're just begging for a repeat of last year?

Rich Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 930170)
You're just begging for a repeat of last year?

That would've been the most entertaining thing in that game. I actually watched 1.5 women's hoops games last night, which is the most I watched since this time last year.

AremRed Wed Apr 02, 2014 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 930136)
The trail official clearly is about to go offense then changes her mind and calls a block.

The Trail needs to take some lessons from this guy on how to change your mind mid-signal:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sS7EIadIFHQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nikki Wed Apr 02, 2014 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 930252)
The Trail needs to take some lessons from this guy on how to change your mind mid-signal:

:confused: He didn't change his mind mid signal...he just counted the basket :confused:

Rich Wed Apr 02, 2014 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikki (Post 930269)
:confused: He didn't change his mind mid signal...he just counted the basket :confused:

Yup. No question.

JRutledge Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:05am

That is a PC all the way. Not sure what changed her mind.

Peace

zm1283 Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:53am

I think both videos in this thread are PC fouls.