The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, some of you lucky folks are starting to gear up for the season (girls in the fall), some of us are looking around for helpful fall ball leagues, and others are really feeling the cravings. Here's something to think about.

What's your best and worst; specifically list your five strongest strengths, and your five weakest weaknesses. Then discuss which one will be your top personal POE in the coming season.

Strengths:

1. Enthusiasm
2. Block/Charge
3. Clippie Check!!
4. Good partner
5. Rules Knowledge

Weaknesses:

1. Remembering the shooter
2. Physical Conditioning
3. Keeping Cool (emotionally)
4. Consistency from game to game
5. Seeing the whole floor

Top Personal POE:

Emotional Control -- Once I lose my temper, I've lost everything. Gotta stay on top of it.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

I hate to come up with 5.

The things I need to work on are:

1. Closing the distance on foul calling. While I feel my abilities as a ref are good, I feel I can always improve upon various aspects of my mechanics. Closing down is just one area.
2. I rarely "bird-dog" but my evaluators want me to do it more to help sell the call. Even though they feel I am making the correct calls (and using good judgement when to pass on calls) they want me to be stronger when I actually make the call.
3. I have a tendency to blow the whistle on a foul, with fist raised, and delay a second or two while closing before signaling what I am calling. It leaves everyone in suspense what the call will be. The evaluators want me to signal sooner - especially in a block/charge situation.

I agree these are weaknesses that need to become better.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 08:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
I hate to come up with 5.

The things I need to work on are:

1. Closing the distance on foul calling. While I feel my abilities as a ref are good, I feel I can always improve upon various aspects of my mechanics. Closing down is just one area.
2. I rarely "bird-dog" but my evaluators want me to do it more to help sell the call. Even though they feel I am making the correct calls (and using good judgement when to pass on calls) they want me to be stronger when I actually make the call.
3. I have a tendency to blow the whistle on a foul, with fist raised, and delay a second or two while closing before signaling what I am calling. It leaves everyone in suspense what the call will be. The evaluators want me to signal sooner - especially in a block/charge situation.

I agree these are weaknesses that need to become better.
Are you near Johnstown, PA? I have a family reunion every year there.

Anyways, PA, re: (2) I thought that the NF was eliminating the bird-dog. You might not have to worry about this one... your mechanics have already improved!

Re: (3) I think it is better for a small delay after a whistle and fist-in-the-air.

- It gives a period of time where you can replay in your head what you saw, and help to make the right call.

- In addition, a small delay allows people to find you while you're making your call.

- It helps you remain calm. A natural reaction for some people is to show emotion during a big call, such as a block/charge. (Is this a good time to bring up a blarge? ) If you can work into your game a consistent amount of delay, then soon it will be commonplace, you'll just do it naturally.

Now I agree that 2 seconds might be a bit long, but 1 second can go by just like that. In fact, I use a whistle and fist, then close if I need to, then a bird dog, then give a prelim signal, etc.... all with a small delay (0.5s??) in between.

Having said all this, on a big call, like a block/charge, be prepared to prelim signal right away, to sell the call.

Mike
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

As an observer, I agree, a slight delay is better. Have you ever watched a game, though, in which the star player is on the verge of foul trouble, when the ref blows the whistle on a play in which that player is involved? You can almost feel the crowd's collective holding of its breath while the ref reports the call to the table.

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 08:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
[/B]
Anyways, PA, re: (2) I thought that the NF was eliminating the bird-dog. You might not have to worry about this one... your mechanics have already improved!

[/B][/QUOTE]Nope,the NF isn't eliminating usage of the bird-dog. Just supposed to be used for clarification only now.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 08:55am
In Memoriam

Exclamation To each, ...his own.

Quote:
- It helps you remain calm. A natural reaction for some people is to show emotion during a big call, such as a block/charge. (Is this a good time to bring up a blarge? ) If you can work into your game a consistent amount of delay, then soon it will be commonplace, you'll just do it naturally.

Having said all this, on a big call, like a block/charge, be prepared to prelim signal right away, to sell the call.
Mike,
Not sure what you are saying, but I like to check my partner before I make this call.
mick

Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:11am

Re: To each, ...his own.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Mike,
Not sure what you are saying, but I like to check my partner before I make this call.
mick

Good call mick.

If it's clearly in my area and my area only, iow right in front of me, then my belief is that I gotta make that call. That's why I have done the local training, the camps, and watched numerous games in the levels above what I currently do. That's also why I participate in the philosophy discussions and the brown pops after meetings, etc. I'm confident in my ability to make the correct call and my partner will be too.

However, if it's in an area where we could both have an opinion, such as the gray area, then we would communicate to get the call right.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

Mike,
[/B]
Agree with mick. Use the "closed fist in the air" as the preliminary signal. Quick look at partner,then do what ya gotta do.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:14am

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

[/B]
Nope,the NF isn't eliminating usage of the bird-dog. Just supposed to be used for clarification only now. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. I remember reading something about the bird dog on here. I've found that many refs that are "more successful" (Tina, Rich, that stick-guy) use the bird-dog for clarification only.

Mikey
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:26am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Re: To each, ...his own.

Quote:
Quote:

Mike,
mick

Good call mick.

If it's clearly in my area and my area only, iow right in front of me, then my belief is that I gotta make that call.
Aw, c'mon, Mike.
Yes we have to make the call, but just like when we issue the "T" with indifference, can we not show the block/charge with equal aplomb?
Like You said, "...Consistent amount of delay".
mick
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:39am

Cool Re: Re: Re: To each, ...his own.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mike,
mick

Good call mick.

If it's clearly in my area and my area only, iow right in front of me, then my belief is that I gotta make that call.
Aw, c'mon, Mike.
Yes we have to make the call, but just like when we issue the "T" with indifference, can we not show the block/charge with equal aplomb?
Like You said, "...Consistent amount of delay".
mick
I think that either way is fine. A B/C call can be a bang-bang play, and the call could be too.

Mike
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
There's no need to rush any signal.

Re:the bird-dog: http://www.nfhs.org/Sports/basketbal...l_changes.html
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are you near Johnstown, PA? I have a family reunion every year there.

Mike [/B]
I work mostly Beaver County and the the edge of Allegheny County (Northwest of Pittsburgh). Johnstown is about 100 miles East. I did not realize my weaknesses would evoke so much commentary. I do appreaciate all the comments. The board has helped me improve my game in all areas and has made me a much more confident referee.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

There's no need to rush any signal.

[/B]
There's your answer.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 10:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Top Personal POE:

Emotional Control -- Once I lose my temper, I've lost everything. Gotta stay on top of it.
I'd just like to say that in all the games I've worked with Juulie, I've never seen her lose her temper (except maybe at me). She is extremely professional and always in control, at least in our games.

BTW - she forgot to list "sense of humor" in her strengths.