View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 08:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
I hate to come up with 5.

The things I need to work on are:

1. Closing the distance on foul calling. While I feel my abilities as a ref are good, I feel I can always improve upon various aspects of my mechanics. Closing down is just one area.
2. I rarely "bird-dog" but my evaluators want me to do it more to help sell the call. Even though they feel I am making the correct calls (and using good judgement when to pass on calls) they want me to be stronger when I actually make the call.
3. I have a tendency to blow the whistle on a foul, with fist raised, and delay a second or two while closing before signaling what I am calling. It leaves everyone in suspense what the call will be. The evaluators want me to signal sooner - especially in a block/charge situation.

I agree these are weaknesses that need to become better.
Are you near Johnstown, PA? I have a family reunion every year there.

Anyways, PA, re: (2) I thought that the NF was eliminating the bird-dog. You might not have to worry about this one... your mechanics have already improved!

Re: (3) I think it is better for a small delay after a whistle and fist-in-the-air.

- It gives a period of time where you can replay in your head what you saw, and help to make the right call.

- In addition, a small delay allows people to find you while you're making your call.

- It helps you remain calm. A natural reaction for some people is to show emotion during a big call, such as a block/charge. (Is this a good time to bring up a blarge? ) If you can work into your game a consistent amount of delay, then soon it will be commonplace, you'll just do it naturally.

Now I agree that 2 seconds might be a bit long, but 1 second can go by just like that. In fact, I use a whistle and fist, then close if I need to, then a bird dog, then give a prelim signal, etc.... all with a small delay (0.5s??) in between.

Having said all this, on a big call, like a block/charge, be prepared to prelim signal right away, to sell the call.

Mike