The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Travel

The discussions about traveling made me think of the following. At an early season chapter meeting, a college official was giving a presentation on traveling and talked about always identifying to himself each player's pivot foot as the ball moved around. I liked the idea but when I tried it, I couldn't: it was as if things happened too fast, so I could only respond instinctively. That is, I could only process the visual information as a whole but not down at the "right foot" or "left foot" level.

Anyone use this method? If so, how did you train yourself to apply it? Any mental device you could share?
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 07:05am
Courageous When Prudent

I try my best to do it that way. I use self-talk "Look at his feet, what is his pivot foot?"

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 07:36am.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 09:05am
Do not give a damn!!

It is easier when the players are not moving for sure. But when they are moving, you can identify the pivot foot if you just pay attention to what you see. It is really unnecessary to always say to yourself which foot by specifically identifiying a specific directional foot. It should be obvious in most cases, which foot they are pivoting off of or what landed or picked up first. But as BNR stated, self talk does help.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys. I tried the self-talk approach, but because things always seemed to happen so quickly, it was like I was a step behind all the time. I'll keep working at it until it comes more naturally and instinctively. I can practice it during youth summer leagues.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Identifying the pivot foot was something I did during the offseason until it just came natural. Definitely helps in explanation to be specific and know which foot was pivot.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I've taken to doing self-talk the last couple of seasons. Nothing long, just something like "left foot" and move on. Seems to help more as T/C than L. Seems like as L you're worried more about contact on an eventual move so identifying the pivot foot isn't as important.