The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:39pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation NIT: Georgetown vs Fla State (Video)

13:30 remaining in 2nd half. No call on contact in front of Georgetown bench. John Thompson III - comes on the court to show his displeasure. WHACK!
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 07:04am
Official & Member

What's the issue? Quick trigger by the official? Did he deserve it? It is kinda rare to see a coach get whacked in the post season tourneys...wonder if he would have gotten stuck in the big dance.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 07:26am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
What's the issue?
The issue was a collision in front of him/his bench where his player was nearly knocked over, and was knocked out of bounds. The T was right there and passed on the foul, but awarded the ball to FSU, because the Georgetwon player was now out of bounds. Thompson came onto the court after the L, who whacked him. He absolutely deserved it.

PS - Georgetown was down by ~ 10 at the time.....so there defintiely was some "trying to spark his team" in his actions IMO. But, again IMO, the contact was pretty severe and should have been called.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:40pm
AremRed

I have a foul on the initial play.

That said, this seems like a weak T to give considering the missed call. On a scale from 1 to Jim Boeheim, this is only a 3. If he had been a problem earlier or had been warned before this happened then the T is understandable.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I have a foul on the initial play.

That said, this seems like a weak T to give considering the missed call. On a scale from 1 to Jim Boeheim, this is only a 3. If he had been a problem earlier or had been warned before this happened then the T is understandable.
Yep. Definitely a missed call.

If I miss a call, I'm going to give the coach a bit more room to vent but only so much. I can't tell what the coach said here but it very well may have included some language that just couldn't be ignored.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 04:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Missed foul call.

T is for yelling at an official who had nothing to do with the play. That tells me JTIII must have been in that official's ear earlier in the game.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

I think we gotta give JT III some leniency on this play considering that was an obvious foul that was missed !!!!!!
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 05:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see this as a foul. I see the FSU player beat the player to the ball and subsequent contact was incidental.

Of course a coach thinks any contact is a foul, but I am not so sure the contact took away an advantage to the GT player when they seemed to be beat to the ball.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 05:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
I think we gotta give JT III some leniency on this play considering that was an obvious foul that was missed !!!!!!
Not including coming out on the floor like that. He can yell all he wants from the blue paint.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 06:01pm
NFHS Official

Obvious foul. RSBQ. Certainly affected his balance. Honestly he didn't react that bad considering how bad the missed call was.

Last edited by OKREF; Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 06:04pm.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

JT III first looks at the Trail, and then goes after the Lead. Had he lost confidence in the Trail, due to something earlier in the game, and wanted to address the Lead regarding this play? It's a bit strange, since Trail was so close to the play, and passed.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 07:49pm
Stubborn Member

I would probably let him yell, but going out onto the court to do so is definitely t-worthy.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 11:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I too give a coach a bit more leniency on a missed call. This play is a great example of a missed call. However, the coach's actions were beyond what I'd allow so I believe the T is a good call.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:32am
Often wrong never n doubt

How can this not be a foul? The V player is blasted off his spot by a player running over him trying to intercept the ball? Even if the H player touches the ball first, which I'm not so sure he did, that doesn't give him the right to knock the V player from his spot. Correct or am I thinking wrong?