The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NIT: Georgetown vs Fla State (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97605-nit-georgetown-vs-fla-state-video.html)

grunewar Mon Mar 24, 2014 07:39pm

NIT: Georgetown vs Fla State (Video)

13:30 remaining in 2nd half. No call on contact in front of Georgetown bench. John Thompson III - comes on the court to show his displeasure. WHACK!

Bad Zebra Tue Mar 25, 2014 07:04am

What's the issue? Quick trigger by the official? Did he deserve it? It is kinda rare to see a coach get whacked in the post season tourneys...wonder if he would have gotten stuck in the big dance.

grunewar Tue Mar 25, 2014 07:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 928766)
What's the issue?

The issue was a collision in front of him/his bench where his player was nearly knocked over, and was knocked out of bounds. The T was right there and passed on the foul, but awarded the ball to FSU, because the Georgetwon player was now out of bounds. Thompson came onto the court after the L, who whacked him. He absolutely deserved it.

PS - Georgetown was down by ~ 10 at the time.....so there defintiely was some "trying to spark his team" in his actions IMO. But, again IMO, the contact was pretty severe and should have been called.

APG Wed Mar 26, 2014 03:35pm

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/VEVyVkYe54Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Wed Mar 26, 2014 03:40pm

I have a foul on the initial play.

That said, this seems like a weak T to give considering the missed call. On a scale from 1 to Jim Boeheim, this is only a 3. If he had been a problem earlier or had been warned before this happened then the T is understandable.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 26, 2014 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 929102)
I have a foul on the initial play.

That said, this seems like a weak T to give considering the missed call. On a scale from 1 to Jim Boeheim, this is only a 3. If he had been a problem earlier or had been warned before this happened then the T is understandable.

Yep. Definitely a missed call.

If I miss a call, I'm going to give the coach a bit more room to vent but only so much. I can't tell what the coach said here but it very well may have included some language that just couldn't be ignored.

Raymond Wed Mar 26, 2014 04:34pm

Missed foul call.

T is for yelling at an official who had nothing to do with the play. That tells me JTIII must have been in that official's ear earlier in the game.

Multiple Sports Wed Mar 26, 2014 05:38pm

I think we gotta give JT III some leniency on this play considering that was an obvious foul that was missed !!!!!!

JRutledge Wed Mar 26, 2014 05:55pm

I do not see this as a foul. I see the FSU player beat the player to the ball and subsequent contact was incidental.

Of course a coach thinks any contact is a foul, but I am not so sure the contact took away an advantage to the GT player when they seemed to be beat to the ball.

Peace

Rich Wed Mar 26, 2014 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 929124)
I think we gotta give JT III some leniency on this play considering that was an obvious foul that was missed !!!!!!

Not including coming out on the floor like that. He can yell all he wants from the blue paint.

OKREF Wed Mar 26, 2014 06:01pm

Obvious foul. RSBQ. Certainly affected his balance. Honestly he didn't react that bad considering how bad the missed call was.

Rob1968 Wed Mar 26, 2014 06:42pm

JT III first looks at the Trail, and then goes after the Lead. Had he lost confidence in the Trail, due to something earlier in the game, and wanted to address the Lead regarding this play? It's a bit strange, since Trail was so close to the play, and passed.

BryanV21 Wed Mar 26, 2014 07:49pm

I would probably let him yell, but going out onto the court to do so is definitely t-worthy.

JugglingReferee Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:37pm

I too give a coach a bit more leniency on a missed call. This play is a great example of a missed call. However, the coach's actions were beyond what I'd allow so I believe the T is a good call.

jeremy341a Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:32am

How can this not be a foul? The V player is blasted off his spot by a player running over him trying to intercept the ball? Even if the H player touches the ball first, which I'm not so sure he did, that doesn't give him the right to knock the V player from his spot. Correct or am I thinking wrong?