The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Best and Worst of the 1st Two Rounds......

Just curious as to what everyone thinks was the best and worst officiated games of the first two days. Did anyone surprise you and were you disappointed by anyone's performance.....
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 01:01am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Just curious as to what everyone thinks was the best and worst officiated games of the first two days. Did anyone surprise you and were you disappointed by anyone's performance.....
Ohio State-Dayton was the best officiated of the games I saw.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Of the games I saw, OSU-Gonzaga was the worst.

You can discount some of it for OSU bias, but it was a pretty inconsistently called whistle fest, even before OSU started intentionally fouling.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieZebra View Post
Of the games I saw, OSU-Gonzaga was the worst.

You can discount some of it for OSU bias, but it was a pretty inconsistently called whistle fest, even before OSU started intentionally fouling.
61 fouls. The most in an tournament hames in the past 40 years!
Several whistles which weren't warranted. I was rooting for Gonzaga.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

There were some absolutely retched block/charge decisions (mostly block calls).
I would say that the two low points for officiating during the first few days were the kicked rules and the poor block/charge calls.

Otherwise, I saw some good stuff. A few really good Ts, but Karl Hess may not be too thrilled with his. (2nd on Nebraska coach)

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 01:03pm.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Okla St/Gonzaga. Lots of good fouls on plays away from the ball. Tells me officials are covering the PCA. It frustrated the commentators and fans but they were the right calls. For example, the Okla St player just grabbed a Gonzaga player running up the floor. An intentional was called.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Coastal style?

Based on what I've read, saw, and heard, the two 'ugliest games' were OSU/Gonzaga and Nebraska/Baylor.

This is merely an observation, but all four of these teams are from the Midwest/West, and all six officials on these two games are predominantly ACC/Big East officials. I'm just wondering if, despite the expectation of a national standard, this contributes to the notion that games are called differently in different parts of the country.

At the same time, the teams should be blamed for failing to adjust--however perhaps they are used to more physical play.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Okla St/Gonzaga. Lots of good fouls on plays away from the ball. Tells me officials are covering the PCA. It frustrated the commentators and fans but they were the right calls. For example, the Okla St player just grabbed a Gonzaga player running up the floor. An intentional was called.
There was no grab, he put his hand on the players hip as he ran up the court. Contact WAY worse then this is passed on every game. This IF was IMO one of the worst fouls, if not the worst one I saw, in the first round.

Overall the OK St. / Gonzaga game was one of the worst officiated game I have seen. The calls were inconsistent at time and some just bordered on "HUH". I can't imagine the officials from that game getting a good grade.