Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 11:22pm
AremRed

Manhattan-Louisville (Video)

How are these two plays fouls? 15:59 and 13:11 second half
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 11:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Because I have Louisville in my Final Four, and that's my buddy who made those calls....LOL

Seriously, I agree, those plays are nothing.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

15:59

13:11
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Don't see much that looks like a foul in either one. Perhaps in the 2nd one, the L felt the defender was moving sideways into the airborne shooter's path but I don't think he was...moving yes, but backwards (away) from the shooter which is not illegal.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

It's hard to tell from the angle on play #1 but it might have been an RA play. Of course, that wasn't the signal but it appeared as though the defender's right foot was over the arc. Other than that, I've got nothing on both.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:40am
Do not give a damn!!

I see no fouls on either. If those are fouls, then we would have had about 10 more fouls in my last high school game.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand the first call at all, but I can see the second one. On the second one, the angle is tough, but the defender's lateral movement to attempt to maintain LGP was a bit late, so I can go with the block.

Last edited by ballgame99; Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 09:45am.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:23am
NFHS Official

No, and no. I thought this game was way over officiated.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
No, and no. I thought this game was way over officiated.
I watch some of this game, I agree.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 12:19pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Don't see much that looks like a foul in either one. Perhaps in the 2nd one, the L felt the defender was moving sideways into the airborne shooter's path but I don't think he was...moving yes, but backwards (away) from the shooter which is not illegal.

Camron:

I agree with you. And since I agree with you your credibility is circling the drain.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

In the 1st video he is in the RA but isn't he considered a primary defender? In the NBA & women's college he obtains possession in the Lower Defensive Block so it would be a regular BB play ... which IMO is a definite no call.

In the 2nd video, I hate to bring a "he traveled" into the discussion but ... ahem ... he traveled. He does a hop step (jumps off and lands on same foot).
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 04:52pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart View Post
In the 1st video he is in the RA but isn't he considered a primary defender? In the NBA & women's college he obtains possession in the Lower Defensive Block so it would be a regular BB play ... which IMO is a definite no call.

In the 2nd video, I hate to bring a "he traveled" into the discussion but ... ahem ... he traveled. He does a hop step (jumps off and lands on same foot).
There is no lower defensive block in NCAA-M. In this play, he would be considered a secondary defender. All defensive players are considered secondary defenders in an out-numbered fast break situation, which is what this would be considered. Since the official did not point to the RA, he was calling this a block because he did not believe the defender had established/maintained LGP.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
There is no lower defensive block in NCAA-M. In this play, he would be considered a secondary defender. All defensive players are considered secondary defenders in an out-numbered fast break situation, which is what this would be considered. Since the official did not point to the RA, he was calling this a block because he did not believe the defender had established/maintained LGP.
I wouldn't call this an out-numbered fast break. When the offense gets possession of the ball it is a one on one play. Not 2 on 1. Obviously, the official didn't point on the play but I wanted to discuss the play in regards to the RA.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 06:16pm
beware big brother

Quote:
I wouldn't call this an out-numbered fast break. When the offense gets possession of the ball it is a one on one play. Not 2 on 1. Obviously, the official didn't point on the play but I wanted to discuss the play in regards to the RA.
Once the steal occurred, it would be considered a 3 on 1 fast break. There was one defensive player guarding the three offensive players. The player that stole the ball and going to the basket, and his 2 teammates in the lane heading towards the basket. This isn't your classic fast break situation, but it is considered as such by NCAA-M standards when making rulings involving the RA.

Last edited by johnny d; Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 06:18pm.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Right on!!! The proverbial illegal jump stop which I feel most officials are scared to call. We wont get these blarges, verticality debates if the initial violation is called.