The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Manhattan-Louisville (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97559-manhattan-louisville-video.html)

AremRed Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:22pm

Manhattan-Louisville (Video)

How are these two plays fouls? 15:59 and 13:11 second half

Raymond Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:27pm

Because I have Louisville in my Final Four, and that's my buddy who made those calls....LOL

Seriously, I agree, those plays are nothing.

APG Fri Mar 21, 2014 02:52am

15:59
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/qpe80RXG71g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13:11
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/mq_oYHpPwEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Fri Mar 21, 2014 03:03am

Don't see much that looks like a foul in either one. Perhaps in the 2nd one, the L felt the defender was moving sideways into the airborne shooter's path but I don't think he was...moving yes, but backwards (away) from the shooter which is not illegal.

JetMetFan Fri Mar 21, 2014 09:29am

It's hard to tell from the angle on play #1 but it might have been an RA play. Of course, that wasn't the signal but it appeared as though the defender's right foot was over the arc. Other than that, I've got nothing on both.

JRutledge Fri Mar 21, 2014 09:40am

I see no fouls on either. If those are fouls, then we would have had about 10 more fouls in my last high school game.

Peace

ballgame99 Fri Mar 21, 2014 09:42am

I don't understand the first call at all, but I can see the second one. On the second one, the angle is tough, but the defender's lateral movement to attempt to maintain LGP was a bit late, so I can go with the block.

OKREF Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:23am

No, and no. I thought this game was way over officiated.

Indianaref Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 928042)
No, and no. I thought this game was way over officiated.

I watch some of this game, I agree.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 928004)
Don't see much that looks like a foul in either one. Perhaps in the 2nd one, the L felt the defender was moving sideways into the airborne shooter's path but I don't think he was...moving yes, but backwards (away) from the shooter which is not illegal.

Camron:

I agree with you. And since I agree with you your credibility is circling the drain. :D

MTD, Sr.

All_Heart Fri Mar 21, 2014 03:50pm

In the 1st video he is in the RA but isn't he considered a primary defender? In the NBA & women's college he obtains possession in the Lower Defensive Block so it would be a regular BB play ... which IMO is a definite no call.

In the 2nd video, I hate to bring a "he traveled" into the discussion but ... ahem ... he traveled. :cool: He does a hop step (jumps off and lands on same foot).

johnny d Fri Mar 21, 2014 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by All_Heart (Post 928089)
In the 1st video he is in the RA but isn't he considered a primary defender? In the NBA & women's college he obtains possession in the Lower Defensive Block so it would be a regular BB play ... which IMO is a definite no call.

In the 2nd video, I hate to bring a "he traveled" into the discussion but ... ahem ... he traveled. :cool: He does a hop step (jumps off and lands on same foot).

There is no lower defensive block in NCAA-M. In this play, he would be considered a secondary defender. All defensive players are considered secondary defenders in an out-numbered fast break situation, which is what this would be considered. Since the official did not point to the RA, he was calling this a block because he did not believe the defender had established/maintained LGP.

All_Heart Fri Mar 21, 2014 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 928096)
There is no lower defensive block in NCAA-M. In this play, he would be considered a secondary defender. All defensive players are considered secondary defenders in an out-numbered fast break situation, which is what this would be considered. Since the official did not point to the RA, he was calling this a block because he did not believe the defender had established/maintained LGP.

I wouldn't call this an out-numbered fast break. When the offense gets possession of the ball it is a one on one play. Not 2 on 1. Obviously, the official didn't point on the play but I wanted to discuss the play in regards to the RA.

johnny d Fri Mar 21, 2014 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by All_Heart (Post 928104)
I wouldn't call this an out-numbered fast break. When the offense gets possession of the ball it is a one on one play. Not 2 on 1. Obviously, the official didn't point on the play but I wanted to discuss the play in regards to the RA.

Once the steal occurred, it would be considered a 3 on 1 fast break. There was one defensive player guarding the three offensive players. The player that stole the ball and going to the basket, and his 2 teammates in the lane heading towards the basket. This isn't your classic fast break situation, but it is considered as such by NCAA-M standards when making rulings involving the RA.

maroonx Fri Mar 21, 2014 06:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by All_Heart (Post 928089)

Right on!!! The proverbial illegal jump stop which I feel most officials are scared to call. We wont get these blarges, verticality debates if the initial violation is called.