The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Auburn hires Pearl for 2.2M per year

Auburn hires Pearl within months of the end of his 3-year sanction for lying about illegal recruiting practices. So a coach who has been confirmed to have been unethical now gets to make a couple of million a year working with college student-athletes.
Furthermore, I doubt that an official who was found to be unethical by the NCAA would ever get a second chance.
Just another reason to root against the SEC.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

He served his sentence and paid his price, I have no problem with the hire. It was unethical to lie to an NCAA investigator, but I'm not getting bent out of shape over someone violating some of the inane and idiotic NCAA rules on too many text messages or other silliness.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 08:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Actually the lie was about him inviting a player to a barbecue that the player did not attend and Pearl apparently lied that he gave the invite.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

In the end the moral is. LYING PAYS!!!! At least with athletics. Doesn't surprise me because in my experience with athletics for some 15+ years I have to say that a good percentage of folks involved have very questionable ethics, morals and standards.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

In case you weren't aware, the level of "cheating" that occurs in the SEC (and many other conferences, for that matter) ranges from "illegal barbecues" to paying families in excess of $200,000 to attend a particular school.

Kentucky leads the SEC in basketball cheating, while Auburn is trying to overtake Alabama for the lead in football cheating...............

Unfortunately, it's a normal part of the "human condition" - the same reason these guys break NCAA rules is the same reason why people lie on their income taxes this time of year.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
In case you weren't aware, the level of "cheating" that occurs in the SEC (and many other conferences, for that matter) ranges from "illegal barbecues" to paying families in excess of $200,000 to attend a particular school.

Kentucky leads the SEC in basketball cheating, while Auburn is trying to overtake Alabama for the lead in football cheating...............

Unfortunately, it's a normal part of the "human condition" - the same reason these guys break NCAA rules is the same reason why people lie on their income taxes this time of year.
Any proof of those accusations?

I thought not...you sound like a typical fan.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Mar 19, 2014 at 08:06pm.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Actually the lie was about him inviting a player to a barbecue that the player did not attend and Pearl apparently lied that he gave the invite.

Peace
Actually, that is totally incorrect. Three recruits and their parents attended a barbecue at Pearl's house after a football game. They had driven to Knoxville on their own for an "unofficial visit" and under NCAA rules, the university is not allowed to provide them anything on that trip. The NCAA investigation was led by Joyce Thompson.

One can argue the morality of Pearl's actions, his three-year departure and his new job at Auburn. But the facts are not in question. He had the recruits to his house for a barbecue, a photo was taken that was later sent to the NCAA and he lied about it when confronted with the photo.

This is what happened, according to the NCAA transcripts as reported by Yahoo Sports:
The postgame cookout occurred back at Pearl's house. And sometime during it, a picture was snapped of Pearl, recruit Aaron Craft, who currently plays for Ohio State, and the wife of a Volunteer assistant coach, posing inside his house with a painting hanging on a wall in the background.

"Do you have any recollection of that incident or maybe where this picture was maybe taken from and …," Thompson said.
"OK," Thompson said. "Any place on campus but you don't know?"

Pearl said no. He denied there was a cookout. His assistants had already done so, too, and he denied he told his staff to deny it. He denied that he told the recruits and their parents to lie. He ridiculously denied recognizing the wife of his own assistant coach in the picture.

He denied, perhaps even more laughably, that he couldn't recognize the inside of his own house in the photo.

"Is that in your home any place?" Pearl was asked.

"No," he said.

He denied everything, even if it was true.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 06:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Actually, that is totally incorrect.
Well it is not totally incorrect. The issue was he lied to the NCAA more than anything. I was just repeating the part of who was at the barbecue from a report I read and heard on the radio. The details I do not claim to know beyond that fact.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

He's a scumbag. So are the folks who paid the Michigan players in the early 90s.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Auburn hires Pearl within months of the end of his 3-year sanction for lying about illegal recruiting practices. So a coach who has been confirmed to have been unethical now gets to make a couple of million a year working with college student-athletes.
Furthermore, I doubt that an official who was found to be unethical by the NCAA would ever get a second chance.
Just another reason to root against the SEC.
Maybe the NCAA wouldn't give a guy a second chance, but the NBA didn't hesitate in doing just that.

Don Vaden, a former NBA referee and the league's current coordinator of officials, has replaced Bernie Fryer as director of officials, league sources said Friday.
Vaden was among eight (8) referees charged with tax evasion in 1998 for downgrading first-grade plane tickets and not reporting the refunded money. He was found guilty and served six months' of home confinement and two years of probation.
This was a crime of judgment and this is a high-profile appointment where perception matters. Simply put, the NBA has named a proven tax cheat to head up its group of supposedly impartial referees

The whole thing sounds totally unbelievable. And yet, sadly, it's also totally believable at the same time.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 08:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFanDan View Post
Maybe the NCAA wouldn't give a guy a second chance, but the NBA didn't hesitate in doing just that.

Don Vaden, a former NBA referee and the league's current coordinator of officials, has replaced Bernie Fryer as director of officials, league sources said Friday.
Vaden was among eight (8) referees charged with tax evasion in 1998 for downgrading first-grade plane tickets and not reporting the refunded money. He was found guilty and served six months' of home confinement and two years of probation.
This was a crime of judgment and this is a high-profile appointment where perception matters. Simply put, the NBA has named a proven tax cheat to head up its group of supposedly impartial referees

The whole thing sounds totally unbelievable. And yet, sadly, it's also totally believable at the same time.
This is 2.5 year-old news. Do you have a point?
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This is 2.5 year-old news. Do you have a point?
Just that refs have been given second chances; I thought that was fairly obvious.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 08:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Just that refs have been given second chances; I thought that was fairly obvious.
Obvious if you somehow see the situations as being equivalent.

Does Vaden make $2.2 million too?
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Obvious if you somehow see the situations as being equivalent.

Does Vaden make $2.2 million too?
Actually I don't see them as being 'equivalent'; I consider what Vaden did much worse.

Pearl never was arrested and convicted of a crime; Vaden was.

I have no idea what Vaden is paid, and don't care.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 08:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Actually I don't see them as being 'equivalent'; I consider what Vaden did much worse.

Pearl never was arrested and convicted of a crime; Vaden was.

I have no idea what Vaden is paid, and don't care.
You may, but the NBA didn't, obviously -- they took back quite a few officials in the same position.