The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Fox Pearl

I have been refeering 5th-8th grade volleyball for three years I noticed in the small gyms that my hearing was muffled after the games(blowing a whistle 100-200 times a night) I was using a Fox 40, but I switched to a Fox Pearl, No more hearing loss, The Fox pearl has a lower tone. New to the forum, and I thought I would pass that along...
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 01:39pm
M.A.S.H.

I believe the Pearl is a two-chambered whistle. So for the small crowds or where there isn't a lot of noise it probably works fine. However, for the bigger crowd and the more noise, I've heard it's best to keep the Pearl and even the Fox40-Mini in your pocket and use a Classic.

I can't really speak for the Pearl, however I tried a Mini this year (basketball) and didn't like it too well. I could tell there was a different sound and that it probably could be drowned out, plus I didn't like the way it felt in my mouth. It's the Classic for me all the way.

Last edited by tjones1; Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 11:24am.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes in big gyms and basketball I use the classic, and also for tournaments.
Now if I can just figure out this overlap thing.......
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:32am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Thumbs up Another option

I have found that the Molten WH1 does a very nice job for volleyball matches. It has a nice loud tone that is distinguishable from other whistles in the same gym (especially helpful during a tournament situation with mutliple courts playing). You might consider checking it out.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrash3
I have been refeering 5th-8th grade volleyball for three years I noticed in the small gyms that my hearing was muffled after the games(blowing a whistle 100-200 times a night) I was using a Fox 40, but I switched to a Fox Pearl, No more hearing loss, The Fox pearl has a lower tone. New to the forum, and I thought I would pass that along...
----------------------------------------------------------------

The Fox 40 is loud and shrill and the first few times you use it it will make your ears go numb. I use the Mini CMG for volleyball. Works great. Can't say I'm a fan of the Pearl. Everyone has their own preference, though. As for overlapping, do you use an index card or a lineup wheel? An index card is faster and easier, but even though the wheel is more trouble and takes longer, it really does help with overlapping. You can get them at Get Official for about 5 bucks. Back row attacks seem to get by me a time or two before I catch them.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I believe the Pearl is a two-chambered whistle. So for the small crowds or where there isn't a lot of noise it probably works fine. However, for the bigger crowd and the more noise, I've heard it's best to keep the Pearl and even the Fox40-Mini in your pocket and use a Classic.

I can't really speak for the Pearl, however I tried a Mini this year (basketball) and didn't like it too well. I could tell there was a different sound and that it probably could be drowned out, plus I didn't like the way it felt in my mouth. It's the Classic for me all the way.
That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 11:40pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

I have not tried the mimi CMG. I tried a Mini as I said and I didn't like it. I never got to try the older Classic CMG, however it looks like it was smaller. That's my problem with the newer CMG, it's too big in my mouth for my liking. So I'm sticking with the Classic, in fact I had 4 CMG Classics and I traded all but one of them for Classics.

Classic all the way with either a smitty, noose, or a break-a-way lanyard!
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RnR,

I have not tried the mimi CMG. I tried a Mini as I said and I didn't like it. I never got to try the older Classic CMG, however it looks like it was smaller. That's my problem with the newer CMG, it's too big in my mouth for my liking. So I'm sticking with the Classic, in fact I had 4 CMG Classics and I traded all but one of them for Classics.

Classic all the way with either a smitty, noose, or a break-a-way lanyard!
__________________________________________________ ________

The old CMGs were smaller.... and were very comfortable. I have an old one that I still use for every basketball game. I hope it lasts a long time. I have never had a whistle go bad yet, and I have a classic that I bought when they were still pretty new. It has to be 13-14 years old. I used it when I was coaching and it still sounds great. I wish they would go back tot he old size for the classic CMGs. I use the mini cmg exclusively for volleyball and I love them.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
However, for the bigger crowd and the more noise, I've heard it's best to keep the Pearl and even the Fox40-Mini in your pocket and use a Classic.
I've never had a problem with my Mini being heard. The Pearl, yes, you really have to blow that sucker loud for it to be heard, and I wouldn't recommend it except for a multi-court setup (qualifiers, tournaments, etc.) where you want to make sure your whislte sounds different from others in the gym.

My preferences:

Fox 40 Classic or Mini (tie)
Mikasa International
Fox 40 Pearl
Acme Tornado (only if I forget all my other whistles)
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

I'm sure glad that someone addressed this! I just worked 4 matches in a row Saturday @ the local YMCA. It was the 1st time I've had a whistle in my mouth in 20+ years (I'm a baseball ump). I went on Ebay and ordered me a Classic whistle. I thought either I was a wimp or I was just getting old because my ears for a few hours after the matches.

Anyone know where to get the Molten WH1 or have other thoughts on it?

Thanks!

BIG'S BLOG
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear
I have found that the Molten WH1 does a very nice job for volleyball matches. It has a nice loud tone that is distinguishable from other whistles in the same gym (especially helpful during a tournament situation with mutliple courts playing). You might consider checking it out.
Jan, where can I find a Molten WH1? I did a google search and was not able to find that model. The local sports shops around my area don't carry anything except the Fox.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:39am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Molten WH

Go to http://www.moltenusa.com and click on the "Accessories" link on the left side of the window. Then, click on "Miscellaneous".

The Molten WH costs $3.99 and is a an excellent whistle. In addition, I personally like the Fox "Pearl" as well as the "Classic" Fox 40.

Hope that is a help.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)