The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA referee shoe

Can anyone tell me which shoe Division 1 refs are wearing?
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Preferably black shoes......
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmcfadden View Post
They all wear one shoe?
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Do.as I say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
Preferably black shoes......
Was at a college game a few weeks ago and an official who told us at a camp that we look more profesional in all black was wearing shoes with white trimming. And, I agree with him, he did look less.professional than the other two guys.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 07:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Was at a college game a few weeks ago and an official who told us at a camp that we look more profesional in all black was wearing shoes with white trimming. And, I agree with him, he did look less.professional than the other two guys.
In your opinion. In my opinion, there are at least 100 things more important that show professionalism or a lack thereof.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 07:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In your opinion. In my opinion, there are at least 100 things more important that show professionalism or a lack thereof.
Editing myself big time right now.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 08:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Simple, All Black Means All Back, What Is So Difficult To Understand About That ...

Quote:
In my opinion, there are at least 100 things more important that show professionalism or a lack thereof.
Fine. So let's make wearing all black shoes the 101st thing on the list. When one's assigner, or supervisor, tells one to wear all back shoes, and one chooses to ignore that rather simple directive, just how unprofessional is that? Isn't following your boss's directions part of being professional. I don't know about you guys, but I usually do what my boss tells me, especially when an instruction is as simple as, "All black shoes".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Professional is defined by the judger, not the judgee

Quote:
Not sure I wrote anything that would lead you to believe I was stating anything other than, all other things considered and being equal, he "looked" less professional than the other two. When standing next to the others HE looked out of uniform so, in my opinion, his appearance had an initial affect on how he was perceived. He did a great job and was professional, but the white on the shoes was distracting. If the crew all had white markings it would have looked fine, all I am saying (and what you so obviously missed) is that it did make a difference. Additionally, as I pointed out in my post, this was a person who had said to others as a trainer at a clinic that all black was the only way to go.

And, as has been pointed out by others, it is absolutely unprofessional not to dress the way your employer tells you too. I don't know how this guy was told to dress so I'm not commenting on him or on any other league, etc. But if I'm told all black shoes or no belt or grey shirts instead of black & whites or to wear a jacket for varsity pregame then, as a professional, that's what I do.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmcfadden View Post
There is no one shoe. Each official wears the shoe they are most comfortable with, just as any official would.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

To bad some officials don't take officiating as seriously as their shoes I guess. :sarcasm:
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 09:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Not sure I wrote anything that would lead you to believe I was stating anything other than, all other things considered and being equal, he "looked" less professional than the other two. When standing next to the others HE looked out of uniform so, in my opinion, his appearance had an initial affect on how he was perceived. He did a great job and was professional, but the white on the shoes was distracting. If the crew all had white markings it would have looked fine, all I am saying (and what you so obviously missed) is that it did make a difference. Additionally, as I pointed out in my post, this was a person who had said to others as a trainer at a clinic that all black was the only way to go.

And, as has been pointed out by others, it is absolutely unprofessional not to dress the way your employer tells you too. I don't know how this guy was told to dress so I'm not commenting on him or on any other league, etc. But if I'm told all black shoes or no belt or grey shirts instead of black & whites or to wear a jacket for varsity pregame then, as a professional, that's what I do.
White markings on shoes is distracting?

The judger is the person doing the hiring. Apparently, it's OK with that person or I'm guessing he wouldn't be wearing the shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
To bad some officials don't take officiating as seriously as their shoes I guess. :sarcasm:
Some people look for any reason to put other officials down. As an avocation, overall, we're damned good at it.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 09:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
White markings on shoes is distracting?

The judger is the person doing the hiring. Apparently, it's OK with that person or I'm guessing he wouldn't be wearing the shoes.
I will be interested to see how many officials continue to wear shoes with prominent white markings during the NCAA tournament, as John Adams is definitely not a fan of it.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 09:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I will be interested to see how many officials continue to wear shoes with prominent white markings during the NCAA tournament, as John Adams is definitely not a fan of it.
Full disclosure - I never have. I could probably list all the shoes I've used since the 1990s, starting with the Converse Running Refs. They all have been all-black.

I just don't care if others do.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, my third year officiating I was working a BF game with a first year guy. At half time one of the varsity officials walked in and the first thing out of his mouth was, "I can tell you two didn't call each other to communicate before the game."

I was like, "ok". So he goes on to say, "I can tell because you would have talked about your uniform and you would have had matching shoe laces."

My partners were grey.

I looked at him. Said Thanks. Got up and walked away while he was starting to flap his gums some more.

I was proud of myself because I was about to blurt out, "I'm sure that's why we are officiating so piss poorly or did you not notice any of the calls we made due to the glaring and unmatched shoelaces."
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 09:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

The problem it is hard to find all-black shoes. And when you do it is only a certain kind of shoe. Thank God the one I found is all-black and feels very good.

Peace