The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Unusual play

Saw this (almost) in college game yesterday: A1 driving in lane with shotclock running down loses control of ball momentarily creating a bit of a scramble. He recovers ball and passes out to far wing area where A2 is spotting up behind 3 pt line. A3 is also coming into area thinking pass might be to him, with defender B1 close behind. Pass gets by both of them and is caught by A2, who immediately rises for jumper attempting to beat clock. Momentum of both A3 and B1 carry them towards the shooter, with B1 appearing to contact A3, thus causing A3 to contact the shooter. What do we have?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Play on.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Play on.
Guess that's what the crew thought...and so they did.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Could you ignore this though if it was significant contact by B1 on A3? I seem to remember a case play where a defender comes through a screener who is set in front of shooter. Defender does not make contact with shooter, but pushes screener into shooter. Could we have a) result of shot AND b) foul on defender with screener getting ft's (if in bonus) ?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Could you ignore this though if it was significant contact by B1 on A3? I seem to remember a case play where a defender comes through a screener who is set in front of shooter. Defender does not make contact with shooter, but pushes screener into shooter. Could we have a) result of shot AND b) foul on defender with screener getting ft's (if in bonus) ?
Of course. That doesn't seem like what you described, though.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Saw this (almost) in college game yesterday: A1 driving in lane with shotclock running down loses control of ball momentarily creating a bit of a scramble. He recovers ball and passes out to far wing area where A2 is spotting up behind 3 pt line. A3 is also coming into area thinking pass might be to him, with defender B1 close behind. Pass gets by both of them and is caught by A2, who immediately rises for jumper attempting to beat clock. Momentum of both A3 and B1 carry them towards the shooter, with B1 appearing to contact A3, thus causing A3 to contact the shooter. What do we have?
Simplify all this.

Did B1 FOUL A3? If no, this is nothing, if yes - it's a foul.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:37pm
Administrator

Quote:

Let us clarify your play: A1 is shooting behind a screen set by A2. B2 pushes A2 into A1 while A1 is in the Act of Shooting.

1) B2 has fouled (Personal Foul, and is a Common Foul) A2. If Team A is in the Bonus, A2 will shoot free throws with players lined up. If Team A is not in the Bonus, Team A will receive the ball for a Throw-in nearest the spot of B2's foul.

2) Continuous Motion applies in this play. If A1's attempt goes through the basket: score it. If it does not: "Them's is the breaks."

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Let us clarify your play: A1 is shooting behind a screen set by A2. B2 pushes A2 into A1 while A1 is in the Act of Shooting.

1) B2 has fouled (Personal Foul, and is a Common Foul) A2. If Team A is in the Bonus, A2 will shoot free throws with players lined up. If Team A is not in the Bonus, Team A will receive the ball for a Throw-in nearest the spot of B2's foul.

2) Continuous Motion applies in this play. If A1's attempt goes through the basket: score it. If it does not: "Them's is the breaks."

MTD, Sr.
Correct, IF it was a foul. As I envision the OP, it likely was NOT a foul (I don't see that A3 was disadvantaged, or that the contact was excessive, and it seems as though both MIGHT HAVE BEEN in similar positions going for a loose ball)
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Correct, IF it was a foul. As I envision the OP, it likely was NOT a foul (I don't see that A3 was disadvantaged, or that the contact was excessive, and it seems as though both MIGHT HAVE BEEN in similar positions going for a loose ball)
Yes, that was how the play happened as I saw it once on tv. Almost looked like the guy had fouled his own teammate. I realized why (how) he had gotten that close, being bumped a bit by the defender. Nothing was seen, so nothing was called. My second description was a hypo sitch, to point out if it was excessive, what the penalty could be. The interesting part is if the shot was not good and Team A NOT in bonus that it's just a common foul, ball out of bounds, even though the shooter obviously was disadvantaged and contact effected his shot. (That church league fan would go hoarse on that one)