The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Coaches of physical teams...

I think this weekend I realized something. My last two games of the year were B-Soph and 4 very physical teams. The losing coach's were on us and me hard.

Almost feels personally with these guys. My question is this. A lot of JV officials struggle with physical play and probably don't call enough fouls. If you are a "dirty team" or are hoping to intimate or use physical play to give you an advantage then a referee who takes care of business is not going to be popular.

Do you guys believe that these coaches hold a grudge or ride you simply because you are not calling a game that is going to help their physical style of play?

Most of my games the kids play smart we call what we have to and the coaches appreciate it and we do not have any issues. Really only problem in 55+ games this year was the rare Boys Soph games where the kids were super dirty/physical and we were staying on top of it...

Again always appreciate what you have taught me and look forward to your opinion on this topic.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Can't possibly give much advice without seeing the game, but physical <> foul.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:18am
Courageous When Prudent

I don't worry about how the coaches feel, and definitely not about grudges. Blow your whistle and let them figure it out.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Basically you come to expect these kinds of coaches to be over the top, the game to not run as smooth as most due to the physical nature and you just ignore or warn the coach when he crosses the line and needs a warning or T and let the rest slide off your back. They are trying to intimate just like their players are trying to on the court and you just have to say this is the mess you have to manage THIS day and do the best you can...?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 12:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Basically you come to expect these kinds of coaches to be over the top, the game to not run as smooth as most due to the physical nature and you just ignore or warn the coach when he crosses the line and needs a warning or T and let the rest slide off your back. They are trying to intimate just like their players are trying to on the court and you just have to say this is the mess you have to manage THIS day and do the best you can...?
I deal with the coaches' behavior as I see fit for that game. Again, I do not worry about whether they like me, hold a grudge, or anything that has to do with feelings.

I think you worrying way too much about the type of coaches you are dealing with. If their team is playing physical, keep calling fouls. If coaches need to be warned or T'd, then warn or T them.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I deal with the coaches' behavior as I see fit for that game. Again, I do not worry about whether they like me, hold a grudge, or anything that has to do with feelings.

I think you worrying way too much about the type of coaches you are dealing with. If their team is playing physical, keep calling fouls. If coaches need to be warned or T'd, then warn or T them.
Thanks Badnews
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thanks Badnews
I'm here to provide a service. Nothing else to do now that my season is over thanks to one more snowfall.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Very hard to answer your questions, but the nature of them in general gives me the impression you're worried about things you don't need to worry about. Some coaches very well might hold grudges. Many will want officials who call the style of game that helps them.

But neither of these should be your concern. Call the game based on what you see. Don't worry about any of the rest of it.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 02:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Coaches and players have to adjust to us. We don't have to adjust to them.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I get to break out the old line again..."They're going to be mad at us if we don't blow the whistle and they're going to be mad at us if we do. Might as well blow the whistle."

Aggressive is fine. Rough is not. If they're being rough call the game accordingly. Working a game while worrying whether the coach has a personal grudge means your mind won't be on your job. If they have a grudge, that's his/her problem.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Call the foul, they will adjust. If they will not adjust, they will be sitting on the bench. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Very hard to answer your questions, but the nature of them in general gives me the impression you're worried about things you don't need to worry about. Some coaches very well might hold grudges. Many will want officials who call the style of game that helps them.

But neither of these should be your concern. Call the game based on what you see. Don't worry about any of the rest of it.
Thanks MD
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"you promote what you permit".....

If you don't blow the whistle, their actions and/or behavior MUST be fine with you.

IMHO, blow the whistle! 99.9% of problems in games happen when officials don't blow the whistle enough. If you think the game is "too physical"....ITS BECAUSE YOU LET IT HAPPEN.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Some officials allow a more physical game while others don't.
Doesn't mean that the game is out of control with the physical play or that the guys who call it tighter are doing it better, it is just different.

Have you tried allowing more contact and seeing how it goes?

Personally, I've been on crews with partners of both types and I am more comfortable with the ones who permit a bit more contact. I also think that the HS game is better when the threshold for fouls is raised and the game is allowed to be on the edge.

Perhaps this is a difference between boys and girls games (boys accept more physical play, while girls want similar contact penalized as a foul).
Old Wed Mar 05, 2014, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm here to provide a service. Nothing else to do now that my season is over thanks to one more snowfall.
Your not at RMC or Va Wesleyan this weekend ??????

Someone needs to sit at the table