The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Not scheduling certain teams/coaches

Just curious, I've heard a handful of officials say that they won't work at a certain school because the coach is a jerk. How many of ya's do not schedule certain schools because of their coaches?

There's a school in my area that more and more experienced officials are refusing to schedule each year, I joined their ranks this season. It's my understanding the assignor has had to schedule quite a few rookie crews in there this year. I wonder if he even realizes his behavior is resulting in experienced officials staying away.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I presently have one coach scratched.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

There is a problem if someone hasn't talked to the AD about this. It takes a MORE experenced crew to deal with a coach like this not a less experenced crew.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue
There is a problem if someone hasn't talked to the AD about this. It takes a MORE experenced crew to deal with a coach like this not a less experenced crew.
However a more experienced crew doesnt want to have to deal with an A$$ simply because they can. A coach with a complete lack of professionalism isnt worth working, no matter what the level.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
Just curious, I've heard a handful of officials say that they won't work at a certain school because the coach is a jerk. How many of ya's do not schedule certain schools because of their coaches?

There's a school in my area that more and more experienced officials are refusing to schedule each year, I joined their ranks this season. It's my understanding the assignor has had to schedule quite a few rookie crews in there this year. I wonder if he even realizes his behavior is resulting in experienced officials staying away.
The problem in doing that is that at some point, you may not have that luxury. While some coaches are jerks, that is a time to hone your people skills. You have nothing to lose in those situations and may learn something. Cannot do things like that in HS playoffs or college ball.

Same thing with partners. Sometimes you don't like them personally and/or their style, but you have to learn to work with everyone or you just shortchange yourself.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
The problem in doing that is that at some point, you may not have that luxury. While some coaches are jerks, that is a time to hone your people skills. You have nothing to lose in those situations and may learn something. Cannot do things like that in HS playoffs or college ball.

Same thing with partners. Sometimes you don't like them personally and/or their style, but you have to learn to work with everyone or you just shortchange yourself.
Bullcrap.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle

balogna -- There are one or two guys that I refuse to work with -- yet to black line a coach/team. However the refs that I refuse work with are for personal reasons and they are well justified.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

In this situation, I will use a phase I heard mentioned before. There are two or three people who is guaranteed to see the game from start to finish,
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue
It appears that the definition of "more experienced crew" is a group of officials who won't work for this guy
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
balogna -- There are one or two guys that I refuse to work with -- yet to black line a coach/team. However the refs that I refuse work with are for personal reasons and they are well justified.
I have blacklined one coach. I posted a thread, I think, about it. Felt it was getting too personal. My perception was he was trying to physically intimidate me. If he did assault me I guess I could have called someone but I felt there wasn't much recourse cause he was the local cop.

So I don't work their games and problem solved.

Funny thing is I come from a family of law enforcement/ law and order type people.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have two officials scratched. Both have a history of "getting their partners in trouble" by just being screw-ups. I have tried to work with them both and they always get both coaches irrate...usually before the end of the first quarter. They call EVERYTHING regardless of where it happens, they never hustle, are almost always out of position (at least they are when I locate them after hearing their whistle), are lousy at letting their partner know what they have and have all the tact and grace of a 2,000 bull in a china closet with an ice floor.

It is much easier to avoid them than try to work on game management skills.

I have never scratched a coach or school.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 06:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I have one official scratched.

No coaches or schools or teams.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 06:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Last yr I had a 1st yr MS coach so upset with my partner and me he came into the refs locker room after the game.....

Long story short - report to league, discipline. I thought about not doing his games again. I was very down after that. Held off due to various forum discussions and mentoring talks.

Ironically, tonight, I worked his school again - 1st time since last yr. Don't know if he remembered me - but I remembered him......

He was a completely different coach this yr (or at least this game). Not loud. Questioned no calls. Always positive, encouraging his team, etc. Don't know why he changed - don't care. Could have been any number of reasons.

He shook my hand after the game and told me we did a good job. I told him likewise. Glad I didn't block him. Lesson learned for me.....and him too I hope
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Last yr I had a 1st yr MS coach so upset with my partner and me he came into the refs locker room after the game.....

Long story short - report to league, discipline. I thought about not doing his games again. I was very down after that. Held off due to various forum discussions and mentoring talks.

Ironically, tonight, I worked his school again - 1st time since last yr. Don't know if he remembered me - but I remembered him......

He was a completely different coach this yr (or at least this game). Not loud. Questioned no calls. Always positive, encouraging his team, etc. Don't know why he changed - don't care. Could have been any number of reasons.

He shook my hand after the game and told me we did a good job. I told him likewise. Glad I didn't block him. Lesson learned for me.....and him too I hope
I would never blackline an official or coach from one incident -- it would have to be well documented that that person is a verifiable a$$.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I'm sure it is all their fault, too.