LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 01:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Here's what the players hear:

"Blah, blah, blah. Blah."
What I say:

"Take care of you knuckleheads so we don't have to.

Good luck."

They're very good at pretending to listen (so yes, they're behaving just as they do in class.)

Coaches:

"Everyone properly equipped? Please have them ready to play at the 2nd horn. Good luck."
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

We do our coaches and players meetings seperate. I really like it that way, even though most of the kids don't really care, it at least gives some of them the chance to have a little bit of a stake in the meeting, and we aren't just talking to the coaches.
Anyways, players meeting is play nice, and listen to us, any questions? Good luck. 10 seconds or so max. Coaches "meeting" is simpler than anyone else's response I've seen: "Hey Coach, good luck tonight!"
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Captain's meetings that I hold are over in 10 seconds.

"We expect good sportsmanship. Any questions?"
No!
"Good luck"

Coach's meeting.

"Any questions?"
No!
"Good luck"
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Question Speaking Captain

I have only calling basketball for 4 years and I dont understand why do some officials as for the "Speaking Captain"? There is nothing in the mechanics manual about this, and there is nothing preventing any player from asking a question in the proper manner. Is there something I'm missing?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's what the players hear:

"Blah, blah, blah. Blah."
LOL Your probably right on that!!
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAUMP View Post
I have only calling basketball for 4 years and I dont understand why do some officials as for the "Speaking Captain"? There is nothing in the mechanics manual about this, and there is nothing preventing any player from asking a question in the proper manner. Is there something I'm missing?
IMHO, no, you're not missing anything, this is an outdated practice. I still work with a couple guys who do it, and at the end of the first quarter of a game earlier this year, I asked him, "Hey, who were those speaking captains?" And he had no idea. I wasn't trying to call him out or anyting (we're buds anyways, so no big deal), but my point was proven that not only is it irrelevant in the game, but we aren't even paying attention to who they are either!
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
No, you are not missing something. There is no rules, case book, or mechanics manual basis for anything involving "speaking captains". It is an archaic holdover from a long time ago. Unfortunately all of my Varsity R's this year asked for them.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
2-7-1
3-1-1
3-1-2
3-3-1e
8-2
8-3

I could tell frezer11 who my captain(s) are, BTW. I always notify them that play is about to begin before I toss the ball, so I need to know who they are. My meeting still only takes 8-10 seconds.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 03:23pm
AremRed

Quote:
2-7-1
3-1-1
3-1-2
3-3-1e
8-2
8-3
For the lazy:

2-7-1 "The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules. This includes: Notifying the captains when play is about to begin at the start of the game."

3-1-1 "Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain."

3-1-2 "The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essential information, if it is done in a courteous manner. Any player may address an official to request a time-out or permission to leave the court."

3-3-1e "A captain may request a defensive match-up if three or more substitutes from the same team enter during an opportunity to substitute."

8-2 "The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by the team captain or head coach."

8-3 "The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free *thrower(s)."

Unfortunately, Rich missed the part where IAUMP was asking specifically about "speaking captains".

Quote:
I always notify them that play is about to begin before I toss the ball
I can't tell if you are serious.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 03:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Unfortunately, Rich missed the part where IAUMP was asking specifically about "speaking captains".
Per the rules, how many captains are on each team? How many are usually sent to the meeting?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Since most teams send more than 1 captain to the meeting, and technically, a "letter of the law" reading of the rule says there's only "one" captain for each team, most officials normally ask for the speaking captain.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 04:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

I can't tell if you are serious.
2-4 players come to the meeting. By rule, there is ONE captain.

Read 2-7-1 again as well as the duties of the referee (or designated tosser) in the officials manual and then make a guess.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 04:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Since most teams send more than 1 captain to the meeting, and technically, a "letter of the law" reading of the rule says there's only "one" captain for each team, most officials normally ask for the speaking captain.
I don't know about "most," but that's the rationale.

I stopped asking once I realized it really didn't matter. I'd be fine if we got rid of this holdover practice.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 04:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't know about "most," but that's the rationale.

I stopped asking once I realized it really didn't matter. I'd be fine if we got rid of this holdover practice.
Me too. Till they do officially, I'll continue to do it -- partially as one of those things that ties me back to the days when I started officiating.

To be honest, I don't care if others do this or not -- but I like to know what's in the books before I decide whether to follow along.

(Some of the old practices from my early years seem downright bizarre compared to this one. Like the trail signaling with two fingers after every made basket...the trail administering every free throw...the lack of action rule...working Cadillac and live-ball crossing over the court to "get back in Cadillac"....the fouler being required to raise his/her hand (that one predates me).)
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 04:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

OK I've seen the Cadillac position reference enough without asking...what was it?