The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Pregame conversation with coaches

Last season I made the decision to not only introduce myself, but mention two subjects I thought were important to emphasize to the head coaches. This might have been a factor which lowered the technical’s I had to charge to coaches to three all season. My conversation went like this after a hand shake, and introductions” Coach I just wanted to mention a couple of things I want you to help me with this evening, First of all when you call a timeout would you let us know if you want a thirty second or full time out. We have a hard time reading minds (smile). Also you do realize the UIL does have a policy regarding ethical behavior, so I hope I can count on you to show good ethical behavior and sportsmanship in front of your kids(which they all would say yes). Just understand that the only two people in this stadium tonight that could care less who wins or loses is myself, and my co-official. Best of luck Coach”. This conversation took all of thirty seconds, so taking up time would not be an issue. Just for reference this pertains to High School, and Jr. High level games. What I wanted to ask other members of the forum is what you say to the coaches before the game if anything. Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I try to keep my pregame brief. This is what I ask the coaches:

1) Players properly equipped
2) Let us know if they want a 30 or full when they request a timeout
3) Have the players ready to go at the second horn so we can keep a good flow to the game.

That's really about it. I've thought about mentioning sportsmanship to them, but didn't want it to seem like overkill since I mention it to the players as well. I'm interested in what others will have to say...
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

In Kentucky, we ask if they are properly equipped and then have to read "The Card". It talks about sportsmanship and things like that, totally ridiculous that they have us do this. They think it cuts down on the unsportsmanlike conduct if they hear it I guess. Yeah Right!
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I have 4 points I hit:

1) Sportsmanship thing we're required to read by the state assoc

2) Court markings--ask visitors if they have any questions and then seguey into the coach's box markings and ask the coaches to coach from there

3) Ask coaches if everyone is properly equipped and if there are any injuries we need to know about

4) Tell the captains we may ask them for help on the court and they should be the spokesperson if the team has questions

Last edited by JS 20; Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 10:54am.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I never tell a coach that me and my partner could careless who wins. I think that sounds as if we dont care, I'd rather say "coach, we'll work hard and do our best..... good luck to you and your team." To me it sounds much better and conveys the attitude we're ready to work! But thats just me.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20 View Post
I have 5 points I hit:

1) Sportsmanship thing we're required to read by the state assoc

2) Court markings--ask visitors if they have any questions and then seguey into the coach's box markings and ask the coaches to coach from there

3) Ask coaches if everyone is properly equipped and if there are any injuries we need to know about

4) Tell the captains we may ask them for help on the court and they should be the spokesperson if the team has questions
Is this one of those binary-type jokes that only the math geeks get?
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Is this one of those binary-type jokes that only the math geeks get?
No, it's one of those typos someone else caught
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
Last season I made the decision to not only introduce myself, but mention two subjects I thought were important to emphasize to the head coaches. This might have been a factor which lowered the technical’s I had to charge to coaches to three all season. My conversation went like this after a hand shake, and introductions” Coach I just wanted to mention a couple of things I want you to help me with this evening, First of all when you call a timeout would you let us know if you want a thirty second or full time out. We have a hard time reading minds (smile). Also you do realize the UIL does have a policy regarding ethical behavior, so I hope I can count on you to show good ethical behavior and sportsmanship in front of your kids(which they all would say yes). Just understand that the only two people in this stadium tonight that could care less who wins or loses is myself, and my co-official. Best of luck Coach”. This conversation took all of thirty seconds, so taking up time would not be an issue. Just for reference this pertains to High School, and Jr. High level games. What I wanted to ask other members of the forum is what you say to the coaches before the game if anything. Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Personally, I'd lose the 'we have trouble reading minds line' Just me.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

co2ice-- I never tell a coach that me and my partner could careless who wins. I think that sounds as if we dont care, I'd rather say "coach, we'll work hard and do our best..... good luck to you and your team." To me it sounds much better and conveys the attitude we're ready to work! But thats just me.

co2ice Thank you for your input....your statement does sound much better, so I am going to start using it. Thank you for your help!!
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Keep it short because they aren't listening. Topics I cover;

court markings
sportsmanship
have fun

That's about it. My sportsmanship talk is always the same. I say, "you are the captains and coaches for your schools. We look to you to be the models of sporting behavior to everyone in the gym. Please do a nice job of that."

I will say, that I find it important to have pregame meetings at all levels. I was just as guilty as everyone else of skipping pregames at the lower levels when I worked them, but they should be done.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Short quick and to the point

Coach, my name is Texref, how is it going tonight? Good. All of your players are leagally equipped? Good. You will abide by the sportsmanship guidelines? Good. Good luck tonight!

I know that some will say we shouldn't say "good luck," but that is what I say.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
Keep it short because they aren't listening. Topics I cover;

court markings
Unless this is in the "back gym" that's also used for floor hockey, badminton, volley ball, indoor soccer, etc. and all the lines are the same color, there's no need to cover floor markings.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

We were informed at out association meeting the other night that our state coordinator wants us to ask, and get a verbal "Yes" response, to:
  • Coaches, are your players properly equiped?
  • Coaches, are you and your players prepared to display good sportsmanship at all time?
This is my second year in the association after a long break from officiating and it was the first time hearing that they wanted a verbal answer to those questions. I ask these questions anway so it's no big deal.

The only other one I'm adding this year, on advice from some of the varsity folks, is:

Coaches, we'll try to answer your questions tonight but are not responding to comments.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Brief very Brief
Captains
court markings
proper equipment
we play on the second horn
we may ask your help to address issues before we have to address them

Coaches
proper equipment
We play on the second horn
coaches box and decourum (NCAA)

Good luck!
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

You must be a member of....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
We were informed at out association meeting the other night that our state coordinator wants us to ask, and get a verbal "Yes" response, to:
  • Coaches, are your players properly equiped?
  • Coaches, are you and your players prepared to display good sportsmanship at all time?
This is my second year in the association after a long break from officiating and it was the first time hearing that they wanted a verbal answer to those questions. I ask these questions anway so it's no big deal.

The only other one I'm adding this year, on advice from some of the varsity folks, is:

Coaches, we'll try to answer your questions tonight but are not responding to comments.

MCBOA. I've heard that a few times this year at our meetings.