The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Is there anything special you say to the coaches before the game begins?

Here is my short list- Is this your book? Is it correct? Are the players properly equipped? We are enforcing the coaches box, let us know if it is 30 or full TO when you call it, get the players back on the floor ready to play by the 2nd horn.

Is there anything I am missing?
"Coaches. We've already talked to your players about sportsmanship, but I just want to ask you to keep an eye out and take care of any problems before we have to step in. We will be playing the black line all the way around. Wait, no, it's green here, sorry.

We'll be watching for hand checking tonight, as well as palming. Please don't ask about three seconds. We'll be happy to answer any questions you might have, as long as you ask nicely.

Let us know what you want on timeouts, and remember that first horn is a warning horn. The rule is that we start playing right after that second horn.

If you think we've made a Correctable Error, please go to the scorer's table and inform them to hit the horn at the next dead ball. If it is indeed a correctable error, we'll not charge you the timeout. If it isn't, we will.

Also, here's the official book, please check it for accuracy."
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
...let us know if it is 30 or full TO when you call it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
...Let us know on timeouts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I remind coaches to let us know if they want a 30-second or full timeout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
...let us know what you want for a time out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Let us know what you want on timeouts...

As far as I'm concerned this is the same as "Black line all the way around." The coaches who tell us what they want will do so even if we don't remind them. The coaches who need reminding will still need reminding during a game regardless of what we say in a coaches meeting.

Based on what we have already discussed in another thread, I've cut my coaches' meeting down to: My name, then "Players properly equipped? Good luck."
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches and captains meeting...biggest waste of time.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

All I say in my meeting to players is "listen to us when we are talking to you." I want them to know that we are being helpful or else. Later this can be used to help us when things start to go off the rails.

Then I let the players go and the rest is to remind the coach about the coaching box (emphasized in our state) and ask them are their players properly equip. It takes less than a minute and we go about our business.

I would rather not talk to coaches, but someone had to make an inappropriate comment to players when we were in the middle of the court, so here we are.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
One of these days we'll need to work together. The longer I live here, the longer that list seems to get.

3-person, though. 2-person is just too much work.
I'd be good with that. I don't even ask about being legally equipped. No coach has never told me they weren't and there is no penalty even if they are.

Last 2 person game of the year tonight!!!
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
I'd be good with that. I don't even ask about being legally equipped. No coach has never told me they weren't and there is no penalty even if they are.

Last 2 person game of the year tonight!!!
Some things are required by the state.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 03:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
As far as I'm concerned this is the same as "Black line all the way around." The coaches who tell us what they want will do so even if we don't remind them. The coaches who need reminding will still need reminding during a game regardless of what we say in a coaches meeting.
The explanation I have heard is that some coaches don't want to tell us right away so they can milk a few more seconds before we start the timeout clock. Some R's here tell the coaches about timeouts and assure them we will wait until both teams are in the huddle to start the clock.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post

Based on what we have already discussed in another thread, I've cut my coaches' meeting down to: My name, then "Players properly equipped? Good luck."
I can see what you're saying. I don't always say it actually. I usually will do it if I don't know the coaches or haven't had them before. I don't really have any rhyme or reason to it. Maybe I'll just stop saying it all together.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 03:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Some things are required by the state.
We're in the same state (mj and I). And I'll probably take mj's advice and shorten this even more. It eliminates the R having to go last in order to ask the question.

Working a 3-person girls game tonight. Last regular season game for me - working with two partners I've never met before.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Waste of time, but gotta do it

In Kentucky, we are required to read the sportsmanship card. I usually start the meeting by waving it around saying: "The card I'm not going to read is all about sportsmanship, so everybody play nice!" I then ask the coaches if everybody is legally and properly equipped. They always answer yes. "Thanks guys, good luck!" No more than a minute.

I did get one partner good this year, though. I was one of the umpires, and we were commenting before the game what a waste of time the captains/coaches meeting is. He went through the "play nice/legally equipped" stuff, then out of habit looked at us if we had anything to add. The other umpire started to back out and I stepped up and said (in my best Barney Fife impersonation: "Now boys! Tonight we're not gonna put up with any nonsense. We're nipping in the bud!"

Both coaches and the R about swallowed their gum. The kids also got a chuckle. The look on the R's face when I stepped up was priceless.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

You're all forgetting the most important thing. "If the ball gets away, you get it, because I don't feel like playing ballboy tonight" !!
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Silly Monkeys ...

"Speaking captains? What're your numbers? Are you starting?"
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

To the captains: Introduce myself and my 2 partners. Ask the visiting team "any questions about the court?" Ask everyone "your all pretty good students aren't you?" "you behave yourselves in class?" "This is another classroom. We expect you to behave the same way here as you do during the day in class" Then I get a spokesperson from each team to designate as one who will settle down any unsporting behavior by their teammates. Then I ask my partners if they anything to add. Then it's "good luck to both teams".
Sounds like a lot but it takes about a minute or less.
To the coaches: Introduce myself. Ask: are all players are properly equipped? Is your scorebook is ready? Make sure to designate if you want a 30 or full time out. Point out to try and stay within the coaches box and "do your thing!" Then it's "good luck"!!
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 10:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
To the captains: Introduce myself and my 2 partners. Ask the visiting team "any questions about the court?" Ask everyone "your all pretty good students aren't you?" "you behave yourselves in class?" "This is another classroom. We expect you to behave the same way here as you do during the day in class" Then I get a spokesperson from each team to designate as one who will settle down any unsporting behavior by their teammates. Then I ask my partners if they anything to add. Then it's "good luck to both teams".
Sounds like a lot but it takes about a minute or less.
To the coaches: Introduce myself. Ask: are all players are properly equipped? Is your scorebook is ready? Make sure to designate if you want a 30 or full time out. Point out to try and stay within the coaches box and "do your thing!" Then it's "good luck"!!
Here's what the players hear:

"Blah, blah, blah. Blah."
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 01:25pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Here's what the players hear:

"Blah, blah, blah. Blah."