The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Pre Game Conversation With Coaches

Is there anything special you say to the coaches before the game begins?

Here is my short list- Is this your book? Is it correct? Are the players properly equipped? We are enforcing the coaches box, let us know if it is 30 or full TO when you call it, get the players back on the floor ready to play by the 2nd horn.

Is there anything I am missing?
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:27am
Courageous When Prudent

"First Name"

sometimes I add, "Good Luck" or "please be in the box when you yell at us".
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Is there anything special you say to the coaches before the game begins?

Here is my short list- Is this your book? Is it correct? Are the players properly equipped? We are enforcing the coaches box, let us know if it is 30 or full TO when you call it, get the players back on the floor ready to play by the 2nd horn.

Is there anything I am missing?
Here's my whole thing:

"Hi Jim, Rich. Are all your players properly equipped? Good luck."
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:02am
AremRed

After we introduce ourselves, the R usually ask the home coach "what do we have tonight?" The coaches will tell us if they are going back to the locker room or not, if there are events during halftime that will make it longer, etc. The R then asks about legal equipment. Then comes all the "optional" things that the R may or may not tack on based on their own way of doing things:

Are you calling your own timeouts? Do you have a questions about bench decorum or the coaches box? We'll try to talk them out of stuff. Any medical issues we need to know about? We don't care about the coaches box, as long as you are coaching. If you have a question don't yell across the court, we will rotate around. Are you aware of the new POE on hand checks? Let us know on timeouts, we won't start the clock until you are in your huddle. Are your players going to be wearing their uniforms properly, tucked in? Have them out by the 2nd horn. Are you players going to exercise good sportsmanship tonight? We are gonna answer questions, ignore statements, penalize insanity. Be respectful of us, and we will be respectful of you. Etc, etc, etc. Did I miss any??
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 07:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

By Rule We Have To Do It, But Is There Really A Need ???

These are a few years old:

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)

Mine: Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 09:09am
Courageous When Prudent

wow I would think all that talking would just irritate a coach.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 09:14am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
wow I would think all that talking would just irritate a coach.
It would sure irritate me!
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

"Hi Coach. Can you check the book? You have any questions? Good Luck!"
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
After we introduce ourselves, the R usually ask the home coach "what do we have tonight?" The coaches will tell us if they are going back to the locker room or not, if there are events during halftime that will make it longer, etc. The R then asks about legal equipment. Then comes all the "optional" things that the R may or may not tack on based on their own way of doing things:

Are you calling your own timeouts? Do you have a questions about bench decorum or the coaches box? We'll try to talk them out of stuff. Any medical issues we need to know about? We don't care about the coaches box, as long as you are coaching. If you have a question don't yell across the court, we will rotate around. Are you aware of the new POE on hand checks? Let us know on timeouts, we won't start the clock until you are in your huddle. Are your players going to be wearing their uniforms properly, tucked in? Have them out by the 2nd horn. Are you players going to exercise good sportsmanship tonight? We are gonna answer questions, ignore statements, penalize insanity. Be respectful of us, and we will be respectful of you. Etc, etc, etc. Did I miss any??
Where's Snaqwells when you need him?

I work with one guy about once a year who has this huge spiel at the captain's meeting. I finally figured out how to handle it -- I shake the captain's hands and when he says his first word, I back out and stand on the sideline opposite the table and don't even hear the rest.

(Let's just say the tone is somewhere between condescending and patronizing and he always asks girls what the most important thing is at the end and the only correct answer is "To have fun." Puke. I don't need to hear that.)

My captains' meeting is between 8-10 seconds long and my greeting of the coach is exactly what I posted above (provided the coach's name is Jim -- if not, I have to change that one word).

We're in the post-season now and I don't change a thing this time of the year -- we start getting captains at 12:00 and I'm usually at the table by 11:15, including all the handshakes and introductions. The players want to warm up. The coaches want to do their jobs. Why do we want to spend a lot of time interrupting them?
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Where's Snaqwells when you need him?

I work with one guy about once a year who has this huge spiel at the captain's meeting. I finally figured out how to handle it -- I shake the captain's hands and when he says his first word, I back out and stand on the sideline opposite the table and don't even hear the rest.

(Let's just say the tone is somewhere between condescending and patronizing and he always asks girls what the most important thing is at the end and the only correct answer is "To have fun." Puke. I don't need to hear that.)

My captains' meeting is between 8-10 seconds long and my greeting of the coach is exactly what I posted above (provided the coach's name is Jim -- if not, I have to change that one word).

We're in the post-season now and I don't change a thing this time of the year -- we start getting captains at 12:00 and I'm usually at the table by 11:15, including all the handshakes and introductions. The players want to warm up. The coaches want to do their jobs. Why do we want to spend a lot of time interrupting them?
My captains' meeting might last 20 seconds. At the end, I remind coaches to let us know if they want a 30-second or full timeout. We shake the coaches' hands at the end of the meeting and go on our way. I rarely, if ever, have problems doing it that way.

I get very uncomfortable when partners who are the R go on and on in the captains' meeting. It honestly makes me want to crawl in a hole. The players know which line is the OOB line, they know we will "Try to talk em' out of stuff", they know to "Play defense with your feet"....and on and on. If they don't know this stuff, it isn't going to do them any good now that it's almost March.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
My captains' meeting might last 20 seconds. At the end, I remind coaches to let us know if they want a 30-second or full timeout. We shake the coaches' hands at the end of the meeting and go on our way. I rarely, if ever, have problems doing it that way.

I get very uncomfortable when partners who are the R go on and on in the captains' meeting. It honestly makes me want to crawl in a hole. The players know which line is the OOB line, they know we will "Try to talk em' out of stuff", they know to "Play defense with your feet"....and on and on. If they don't know this stuff, it isn't going to do them any good now that it's almost March.
If you're a U, grab your other U (if applicable) and back out. Subtle message sent.

BTW, we always position the R tableside with his/her back to the table. That way the U's can simply back out at the end of the meeting and the R can just turn and walk a few steps to the table.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:53am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you're a U, grab your other U (if applicable) and back out. Subtle message sent.
I do this a lot (unfortunately) in our HS association...we have a number of guys who do the whole "it's the black line all around" etc., etc. I just pat the third partner on the back and walk a few steps away and watch the warmups.

Have had two or three partners get mad about it and try to "discuss" it at halftime. Those discussions don't last very long.

As for Coaches, it's "Coach, good to see you again. Good luck tonight" as I shake their hand, and then I walk away.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

"have a good game..."

Once in awhile I'll toss in "remember we're here to have fun" or mention something about sportsmanship but not very often.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 11:11am
NFHS Official

My captains meetings go like this.

Coaches, everyone properly equipped? Play with good sportsmanship, let us know what you want for a time out. Any questions? Good luck.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
"have a good game..."

Once in awhile I'll toss in "remember we're here to have fun" or mention something about sportsmanship but not very often.
One of these days we'll need to work together. The longer I live here, the longer that list seems to get.

3-person, though. 2-person is just too much work.