The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request - Syracuse vs Duke (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97351-video-request-syracuse-vs-duke-video.html)

Welpe Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Quan (Post 924983)
If I could use replay to make calls, yeah, I might be good at being an official. But I'm terrible at seeing things in real time.

It gets better with practice. Give it a shot, you might be surprised.

Tim Quan Fri Feb 28, 2014 02:56pm

I've edited the page and tried to be a bit more concise. I don't think I can whittle it down much further without losing the detail I think is important.

Block or Charge

I'm still uncertain whether the "upward motion" restricts motion of the defender after initial legal guarding position is established but while he's maintaining it. Specifically, the brunt of my defense of Tony Greene's call is that the defender's little shuffling of the feet even after the offensive player has begun that upward motion is legal, as long has his motion isn't initiating contact.

But perhaps my whole premise is wrong and once that upward motion begins, all of the defender's foot movement does have to stop and he has to be committed to his spot. It doesn't read that way in the rules, but I'm reading some claimed officiating experts saying that is the intent.

If there are opinions on this, I'd like to hear them; but regardless, I appreciate the feedback already received.

MD Longhorn Fri Feb 28, 2014 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Quan (Post 925055)
I'm still uncertain whether the "upward motion" restricts motion of the defender after initial legal guarding position is established but while he's maintaining it.

Upward motion simply defines the time at which LGP must have already been established... once it's established (and assuming it's not lost), upward motion has no further effect on this call.

Adam Fri Feb 28, 2014 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 925056)
Upward motion simply defines the time at which LGP must have already been established... once it's established (and assuming it's not lost), upward motion has no further effect on this call.

Agreed. At no point are the defender's feet required to be stationary.

Tim Quan Fri Feb 28, 2014 03:52pm

Thanks for the confirmation.

Camron Rust Fri Feb 28, 2014 06:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 925059)
Agreed. At no point are the defender's feet required to be stationary.

While I agree, there are too many officials that just don't understand that and default to a block simply based on seeing the feet move.

Adam Fri Feb 28, 2014 08:41pm

Agreed. Many of them tend to frequent internet boards such as F....
Never mind.

Camron Rust Fri Feb 28, 2014 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 925083)
Agreed. Many of them tend to frequent internet boards such as F....
Never mind.

;)