The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request - Syracuse vs Duke (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97351-video-request-syracuse-vs-duke-video.html)

fiasco Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by biz (Post 924231)
NCAA-M as of this year it is when the upward motion of the shooter has started.

But how do you define upward motion?

AremRed Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 924232)
But how do you define upward motion?

How about according to the rule?

NCAA 4-17-4-d: "When the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard shall have attained legal guarding position before the opponent begins his upward motion with his hands/arms to shoot or pass."

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 924225)
Boeheim has to go to Kim Mulkey's Summer Camp and learn how to remove his jacket.

Hopefully he doesn't show up next year wearing spaghetti straps too!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:10am

From the first time I saw the play it was a charge and a player control foul. A great call.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:16am

Boeheim's comments about the call being the "worst" call just shows how ignorant of the rules he is. I hope that either the ACC or the NCAA suspends him for at least two games for his actions on the court.

Boeheim has always been a whinner.

MTD, Sr.

JetMetFan Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 924219)
And I grew up watching college b-ball with Dickie V as an announcer. I may be one of the few that still enjoys him but his commentary at the end about officials having to let coaches react was ludicrous.

Fortunately, Bilas set him straight.

So I guess Boeheim would've had to beat down one of the officials for Vitale to consider a T.

biz Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 924239)
From the first time I saw the play it was a charge and a player control foul. A great call.

MTD, Sr.

You are the final word on this board as to the block/charge, so am I being nitpicky with the slight hop toward the endline and toward the shooter after he gains LGP?

In APG's post look at :40 of the video. That's where I see LGP being established then there is a slight move toward the shooter. In the next replay from behind the basket you can also see the slight adjustment that looks like it is forward and slightly toward the endline.

I suppose I'm probably splitting hairs.

AremRed Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by biz (Post 924242)
You are the final word on this board as to the block/charge, so am I being nitpicky with the slight hop toward the endline and toward the shooter after he gains LGP?

In APG's post look at :40 of the video. That's where I see LGP being established then there is a slight move toward the shooter. In the next replay from behind the basket you can also see the slight adjustment that looks like it is forward and slightly toward the endline.

I suppose I'm probably splitting hairs.

I see what you are talking about. I think that is just the player straightening his legs and standing taller. I do not see the player moving forward in any way that would lose LGP (assuming he had it before upward motion).

mtn335 Sun Feb 23, 2014 01:04am

I saw the step you're talking about, too; in my area we call that a firm-up. I don't think he gives up LGP there. IMO this is a charge, but it's a tight one.

The situation after the foul call was handled with remarkable calmness and aplomb by the crew. Well done.

twocentsworth Sun Feb 23, 2014 01:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 924240)
Boeheim's comments about the call being the "worst" call just shows how ignorant of the rules he is. I hope that either the ACC or the NCAA suspends him for at least two games for his actions on the court.

Boeheim has always been a whinner.

MTD, Sr.

Um, Boeheim knows the rule, virtually quoted the rule in his post-game press conference, and based on how the rule has been interpreted/implemented this season....he is correct in saying that play has been called a block throughout the season.

You can say he's a whiner (so is Coach K; so is Coach Izzo; so is Coach Cal; etc), but you CAN'T say he is "ignorant" or the rules.

Blindolbat Sun Feb 23, 2014 01:16am

Uh those are both charges all day every day.

OKREF Sun Feb 23, 2014 01:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 924247)
Uh those are both charges all day every day.

I agree. I thought they were both PC.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 23, 2014 03:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 924256)
I agree. I thought they were both PC.

Yep...both PC's with then 2nd one being the more obvious one of the two in my mind. The first one was close.

Ref16 Sun Feb 23, 2014 04:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 924239)

MTD, Sr.

Me too...all day every day and 100% of the time.

Coach Boeheim deserved the 2 T's he got, there is no way around that when you run out on the floor acting like a first class jackass such as he did in this case....

No issues at all from me with this call, or this ejection.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 23, 2014 06:21am

Play with the score tied at 41 = obvious PC.
Play with ten seconds left = PC, but close and tough while rotating.

walt Sun Feb 23, 2014 08:04am

Both charges in my view under the new rule, old rule, whatever.