The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request - Syracuse vs Duke (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97351-video-request-syracuse-vs-duke-video.html)

MD Longhorn Mon Feb 24, 2014 09:24am

I'm late to the party here, but I thought both calls clearly should have been PC.

Boeheim's explanation of the rule in the press conference was simply wrong. He starts out being right, but then adds in, incorrectly, that the defender can't move. He can. AFTER he achieves LGP, he can move as long as he doesn't lose LGP while doing so. The slight movement the defender does here after achieving LGP is not even close to enough to lose it... and LGP was established significantly before the upward motion began.

dahoopref Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 924423)
They operate independant of each other if they have different supervisors. These guys have to adjust to that night's supervisor.

Exactly! I know for a fact that in some conferences the coaches rating has a HUGE affect on your pay tier and amount of games received. In other conferences, the coach's rating is thought of as used toilet paper.

IOW, if an official feels supported by his supervisor, he will go out on the court knowing he doesn't have to kow-tow to any coach. If the coaches have an influence, then the inner politics of pacifying coaches to save one's rating comes into the fold. This is usually done by officials unwilling to change their philosophy in order to save their pay scale.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 924423)
They operate independant of each other if they have different supervisors. These guys have to adjust to that night's supervisor.

Yes, they do, but there is still going to be a mixing and averaging effect of how they are called, even if there are some differences.

What differences there may be are not because of the officials not having an open mind and being isolated in any given conference...which is what the post above was trying to claim.

Referee24.7 Mon Feb 24, 2014 01:55pm

They were both offensive fouls and unfortunately, we don't want to try and match "misses" that we have as stripes. . .

Greene's call just looked kinda off because he was on the move and didn't get fully done rotating yet, but the defender was legal and in the path. . .

And if was up to Vitale, Dakich, or all these other stuttering nincompoop analysts - there would be no foul-outs, no points of emphasis or concerns, and coaches could say or do whatever they want because its what's good for television and what they feel is for the game. . .

Just my barely $.02 cents worth.

grunewar Mon Feb 24, 2014 02:07pm

Tony Greene discusses ejecting Jim Boeheim, more Hoop Thoughts - College Basketball - Seth Davis - SI.com

Excerpt:

Suffice to say, the vibe at that moment was far different than it was a couple hours before, when Greene and Boeheim, who have known each other for many years, were yukking it up as they walked onto the court. So what happens when the two of them meet again? "We'll be fine," Greene promised. "I'm a professional. He's a professional. There are no grudges. It's just one of those things where the beat goes on. It's all a part of the job."

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 24, 2014 09:27pm

I can't believe it but the ACC is not going to take any disciplinary action against Jim Boeheim. What is wrong with this picture?

MTD, Sr.

Raymond Mon Feb 24, 2014 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 924542)
I can't believe it but the ACC is not going to take any disciplinary action against Jim Boeheim. What is wrong with this picture?

MTD, Sr.

People get suspended for being a$$-hats? He got ejected. He didn't contact any officials. I wasn't expecting a suspension.

Adam Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 924542)

MTD, Sr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 924543)
People get suspended for being a$$-hats? He got ejected. He didn't contact any officials. I wasn't expecting a suspension.

Agreed. He got ejected, and he left. Now, was anything said post-game that may have earned an additional fine?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 924547)
Agreed. He got ejected, and he left. Now, was anything said post-game that may have earned an additional fine?

Yes, he was penalized for via the TF route for his conduct during the game. BUT!! I don't know but maybe I am old school. His conduct when beyond the boundaries of even venting his displeasure with the call.

MTD, Sr.

AremRed Tue Feb 25, 2014 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7IronRef (Post 924290)
End of game B/C - Block, defender had no established LGP prior to the upward motion of the shooter. The L makes this call in rotation, the T was backing out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 924291)
I would suggest that you not come out of your van until you have learned the Guarding and Screen rules.

Mark, what guarding rule did 7ironRef get wrong?

Eastshire Tue Feb 25, 2014 05:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 924556)
Yes, he was penalized for via the TF route for his conduct during the game. BUT!! I don't know but maybe I am old school. His conduct when beyond the boundaries of even venting his displeasure with the call.

MTD, Sr.

I agree with Mark. This behavior was egregious to the point that it requires additional punishment. It really should come directly from Syracuse as they're the ones who should be embarrassed by his behavior, but universities have apparently stopped pretending they're anything other than semi-pro sports teams.

grunewar Tue Feb 25, 2014 08:36am

The Boeheim Soap Opera Continues

Public swiping at officials is turning into a sport all to itself.......

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim takes jab at Maryland's Mark Turgeon

HokiePaul Tue Feb 25, 2014 08:44am

Really late to this discussion, but I only see one T in the video. Can someone clarify ... Did Boeheim already have one earlier, did another official call a T first before the calling official had the second, or was it a single flagrant T that earned the ejection?

letemplay Tue Feb 25, 2014 08:47am

What's next?

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 924578)
Public swiping at officials is turning into a sport all to itself.......

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim takes jab at Maryland's Mark Turgeon

Jeez, is he headed down the Woody Hayes road to retirement?

Raymond Tue Feb 25, 2014 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 924580)
Jeez, is he headed down the Woody Hayes road to retirement?

No, he's turning into an a$$-hole.