Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 11:37pm
In Time Out

Knicks game- Chandler (Video)

was this the right call?
New York Knicks vs. Orlando Magic - Recap - February 21, 2014 - ESPN

NBA same for rule for NFHS and NCAA here?
I thought it should have been a basket...
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

2013-2014 NBA Case Book

180. Player A1’s attempted “slam dunk” hits him on the head prior to clearing the net, causing the ball to return back up through the basket ring. What is the ruling?

Player A1 shall be charged with offensive basket interference, and the ball shall be awarded to Team B at the free throw line extended.

RULE 5 - SECTION I - a
RULE 11 - SECTION I - i
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 11:59pm
In Time Out

Thanks
is it the same for NCAA/NFHS?

I really disagree with the rule. Penalizing a good play for something unintentional.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

NFHS 4-6-1

NCAA 9-17-2-a(1)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 12:28am
AremRed

I wonder what is the reasoning behind this rule. I thought a goal is ruled after the ball passes entirely through the basket ring.

NBA rule (5-1-a): "A legal field goal or free throw attempt shall be scored when a ball from the playing area enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through the net."

NCAA rule (5-1-2-a): "A goal is made when A live ball that is not a throw-in enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through the basket."

NFHS rule (5-1-1): "A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through."
Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

The very rules you quote state it must remain in or pass through the basket. The basket, by definition, includes the net.

Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 12:34am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
The very rules you quote state it must remain in or pass through the basket. The basket, by definition, includes the net.
I realize that, I was wondering about the reasoning behind the rule.

I remember another play like this involving LeBron where he dunked it off his, or a defenders head. It rebounded out of the net and was no-called.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 01:01am
In Time Out

yeah I was thinking of plays like that when the baskets were counted. Really rare but something I think the NBA should look at.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
yeah I was thinking of plays like that when the baskets were counted. Really rare but something I think the NBA should look at.
The rule is the same at all levels you asked about. The times where it wasn't called means either the officials missed it, or as often happens, the net kicks up on a dunk, with the ball momentarily clearing the net, then maybe going back up through the bottom.

Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I realize that, I was wondering about the reasoning behind the rule.

I remember another play like this involving LeBron where he dunked it off his, or a defenders head. It rebounded out of the net and was no-called.
The reason? Until it goes through, you can't know that it was going to go through. It may be improbable that it would come out but I've seen shots appear to be so far in they couldn't come out but yet they did.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Here's the play in question (sorry, no link to direct you to in case you can view the play)

Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 02:23am
In Time Out

eh
well. Rules are rules but I hold onto my opinion that it is against the spirit of the game(whatever that means)
Maybe it should stay that way in high school but for the NBA with the reply, I see no problem reviewing this very unusual play and if it is clearly unintentional then the basket should count. it is unfairly punishing a good play
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
eh
well. Rules are rules but I hold onto my opinion that it is against the spirit of the game(whatever that means)
Maybe it should stay that way in high school but for the NBA with the reply, I see no problem reviewing this very unusual play and if it is clearly unintentional then the basket should count. it is unfairly punishing a good play
Or...they could just shoot a layup thereby ensuring the ball will go through the hoop. It's the same two points.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)