The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Vid Request - Missouri/Vandy "on the floor"

1:55 of the first half, a continuous motion 'and one' situation that was ruled "on the floor". But the officials had a long talk about it and stuck with the call. I thought it should have counted.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Bump!
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Did the play resemble what was discussed in this thread NCAA-Men's Habitual Shooting Motion?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 11:57am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Bump!
Some of you may be able to browse to the play (1:55 first half) here: ESPN3 -- Vanderbilt vs. Missouri
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did the play resemble what was discussed in this thread NCAA-Men's Habitual Shooting Motion?
Yes. The foul occured after the dribble ended, but before the shooter jumped with his non-pivot foot (or what I think the NCAA is calling upward motion).
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 02:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Yes. The foul occured after the dribble ended, but before the shooter jumped with his non-pivot foot (or what I think the NCAA is calling upward motion).
The upward motion refers to what the offensive player is doing with the ball. As in, has A1 started bringing the ball upward into a position to shoot.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

video added

Here's the play...

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The upward motion refers to what the offensive player is doing with the ball. As in, has A1 started bringing the ball upward into a position to shoot.
I know they changed the requirements for LGP to be relative to upward motion but did they also change the definition of the act of shooting.

He also brought the ball back down after being fouled and then went back up with it again. That could be what led the official to wipe the basket....the actual attempt to have started after he brought it down and started back up again.

It could also be the fact that he caught the ball on his left foot, stepped with the right, then stepped with the left again before releasing the shot....being fouled doesn't give the player a free pass on a travel.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 04:46am
AremRed

I ruled the similar Syracuse play as continuation, but this one is perplexing.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 08:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I know they changed the requirements for LGP to be relative to upward motion but did they also change the definition of the act of shooting.

Yes, in mid-season.

NCAA-Men's Habitual Shooting Motion
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 09:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Since when did the feet being on the floor have anything to do with whether a player was shooting?
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

He also brought the ball back down after being fouled and then went back up with it again. That could be what led the official to wipe the basket....the actual attempt to have started after he brought it down and started back up again.

It could also be the fact that he caught the ball on his left foot, stepped with the right, then stepped with the left again before releasing the shot....being fouled doesn't give the player a free pass on a travel.
That's what I was thinking, that the foul occurred during the attempt, but then the shooter traveled, before he released the ball.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 10:10am
Archaic Power Monger

It's a brave new world in the NCAA.

I would have wiped the basket in NFHS for the travel and put him on the line.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Since when did the feet being on the floor have anything to do with whether a player was shooting?
I wasn't implying that they did, I was just describing the play.

I don't see a clear travel. It is tough to see when the dribble ends from that angle, but I am seeing the dribble end while he is airborne, with the right foot coming down first and becoming the pivot, and then jumping off of left; therefore legal. He may have traveled but that would be a tough one to see in transition in traffic.

So all of this talk about upward motion in NCAA means that there is a difference in standard between NCAA and NFHS? Wouldn't this bucket count in NFHS? Assuming no travel...

Last edited by ballgame99; Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 10:19am.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So all of this talk about upward motion in NCAA means that there is a difference in standard between NCAA and NFHS?
The difference has existed since the start of the season (well, since the NCAAM rules changes were announced before the season).

The NCAA rule is about the same as FED 4-11-1. FED paragraphs 4-11-2 and 3 do not exist in the NCAA definitions (I think that's true for both NCAAM and NCAAW), so it's left to a little interpretation.