The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Plenty of fun on this one (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97296-plenty-fun-one-video.html)

referee99 Sun Feb 16, 2014 07:08pm

Plenty of fun on this one (Video)

The 3 minute summation:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gZQ6gVd4VeU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The longer versions.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6K1XDVjGDQ8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wgVdD9qTSFM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LEQr-JorHiY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JetMetFan Sun Feb 16, 2014 07:38pm

Umm...could you narrow it down to the time code we're supposed to be watching?

Raymond Sun Feb 16, 2014 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 923149)
Umm...could you narrow it down to the time code we're supposed to be watching?

Just watch the last video since you can kind of see the game clock during the sequence.

By rule the officials did nothing wrong. By mechanics, I really wish the new Trail had been more urgent in granting the time-out. By the time he seems to be reacting to the request, it is well after A1 has released the shot.

stick Sun Feb 16, 2014 07:52pm

I didn't see it but could a player or the coach from the home team have called time out before the buzzer beater shot? I did see the C frantically waving off the basket but then the camera didn't show him or the other officials after that untikl they were at the table.

Raymond Sun Feb 16, 2014 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick (Post 923153)
I didn't see it but could a player or the coach from the home team have called time out before the buzzer beater shot? I did see the C frantically waving off the basket but then the camera didn't show him or the other officials after that untikl they were at the table.

Yes, White HC was granted a time-out. Official blew his whistle after shot was released.

referee99 Sun Feb 16, 2014 08:14pm

Obligatory rim hang

by White when celebrating their 'victory'.

AremRed Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:05pm

Don't watch the middle video, just the first and the last.

Where is Lead on the initial blocking foul?? Should have been at close-down, and should have gotten that foul. Instead he's loitering at the 3-point line!?!

The whistle occurred while the ball was in flight. Count the basket, put whatever time the officials have definite knowledge of back on the clock, and give green an endline throw-in. Partners should be coming with this info.

Rich Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923158)
Don't watch the middle video, just the first and the last.

Where is Lead on the initial blocking foul?? Should have been at close-down, and should have gotten that foul. Instead he's loitering at the 3-point line!?!

The whistle occurred while the ball was in flight. Count the basket, put whatever time the officials have definite knowledge of back on the clock, and give green an endline throw-in. Partners should be coming with this info.

No chance. Timeout was acknowledged before the shot. Let's start a 4 page argument about when the timeout is actually granted now. :rolleyes:

johnny d Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923158)

What are you talking about? Either the timeout was before the shot occurred, set the clock, and white gets the ball for a throw in, or the timeout was after the ball was released, the basket counts, and the game is over. Why would you ever count the basket and put time back on the clock?

AremRed Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 923192)
What are you talking about? Either the timeout was before the shot occurred, set the clock, and white gets the ball for a throw in, or the timeout was after the ball was released, the basket counts, and the game is over. Why would you ever count the basket and put time back on the clock?

My thinking was: the whistle stops the clock. The whistle occurred after the release. There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored. Therefore, count the basket, add whatever time an official had definite knowledge of, grant the timeout, and give green an endline throw-in, which was the point of interruption.

I know you know your shit, can you educate me please?

JRutledge Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923193)
My thinking was: the whistle stops the clock. The whistle occurred after the release. There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored. Therefore, count the basket, add whatever time an official had definite knowledge of, grant the timeout, and give green an endline throw-in, which was the point of interruption.

I know you know your shit, can you educate me please?

You probably need to look at a little Rules Fundamental (#16)

"The official's whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead)."

Peace

Stat-Man Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:14am

I wonder when the game was played. These are two schools in my area, and I have a JV girls games at this gym next week. That ought to be a fun pregame conference. :D

Toren Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:58am

I would definitely like to see the Trail take a look at the bench...we gotta anticipate the coach wanting to call a timeout. And I have no idea what the Lead is doing, he could have also been anticipating a timeout by the coach as well, but he seems like he is completely lost.

However, with all that said, the acknowledgement of the timeout was well after ball is in the air. No timeout, sorry coach, you win the game though.

JRutledge Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 923199)
I would definitely like to see the Trail take a look at the bench...we gotta anticipate the coach wanting to call a timeout. And I have no idea what the Lead is doing, he could have also been anticipating a timeout by the coach as well, but he seems like he is completely lost.

However, with all that said, the acknowledgement of the timeout was well after ball is in the air. No timeout, sorry coach, you win the game though.

I do not think it is an issue of knowing the situation. Sometimes coaches over think their role and do something prematurely. It seems like the coach was asking for a timeout while his player was clearly getting ready to shoot the ball.

This is another reason coaches should not be requesting timeouts.

Peace

Toren Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 923200)
I do not think it is an issue of knowing the situation. Sometimes coaches over think their role and do something prematurely. It seems like the coach was asking for a timeout while his player was clearly getting ready to shoot the ball.

This is another reason coaches should not be requesting timeouts.

Peace

You think the Trail knew the situation? why did he need the coach to basically run into him to acknowledge him?

Camron Rust Mon Feb 17, 2014 02:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 923202)
You think the Trail knew the situation? why did he need the coach to basically run into him to acknowledge him?

Because his #1 priority during a live ball is the game on the floor.

As for whether it was after the release or not, who cares? The coach asked for it, the official heard it, verified that his team had player control, then granted it. If whistles normally occurred the very moment of the request/violation/foul, we'd be talking about how many inadvertent whistles were in every game.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:01am

Was there anything to see other than the timeout/canceled buzzer beater?

(Not watching 14 minutes of video to find out)

Raymond Mon Feb 17, 2014 06:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 923218)
Was there anything to see other than the timeout/canceled buzzer beater?

(Not watching 14 minutes of video to find out)

No, that was the crux of this thread.

JetMetFan Mon Feb 17, 2014 06:31am

Quote:

My thinking was: the whistle stops the clock. The whistle occurred after the release.

In this instance, when the whistle is blown it's up to the crew to come together to determine whether the time-out should have been granted (i.e., was a player on white in control of the ball). As johnny d said, either you grant the time-out, cancel the goal and put the correct time back on the clock or you don't grant the time-out, count the goal and everybody goes home.

Quote:

There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored.

No, there aren't.

NFHS 5-1-1
A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through.

BillyMac Mon Feb 17, 2014 07:12am

A Few ...

Quote:

There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 923220)
No, there aren't.

Defensive basket interference. Defensive goaltending.

JetMetFan Mon Feb 17, 2014 07:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 923221)
Defensive basket interference. Defensive goaltending.

My mistake. Thanks, Billy.

At any rate, granting a time-out while a try is in flight wouldn't be one of those situations.

Rich Mon Feb 17, 2014 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 923217)
Because his #1 priority during a live ball is the game on the floor.

As for whether it was after the release or not, who cares? The coach asked for it, the official heard it, verified that his team had player control, then granted it. If whistles normally occurred the very moment of the request/violation/foul, we'd be talking about how many inadvertent whistles were in every game.

Your first sentence is a nice slogan, but if this timeout is missed and the shot misses, the only perception that matters is that the crew has no game awareness and missed the timeout request.

I have no problem with how this was administered. The timing of the whistle means absolutely nothing to me. The timeout was obviously requested before the shot and it was granted. Nothing to see here - put time back on the clock, grant the timeout, and play on.

Welpe Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:06am

The coach knew he blew it. He iced his own shooter...ouch.

They handled the TO properly. The coach put them in a bad situation to start with. I'm no so sure I'd be expecting a TO from the coach as his shooter is pulling up for a last second shot but this is a good lesson be prepared for anything.

referee99 Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:22pm

For Brevity

The 3 minute version:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gZQ6gVd4VeU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nevadaref Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 923227)
The timing of the whistle means absolutely nothing to me.

It should. If it was blown prior to time expiring, then there will be time left on the game clock.
The officials can rule this play one of two ways.
1. The time-out was properly requested prior to the player control ending, but acknowledged a little late. Restore time to when the whistle sounded and white has the ball for a sideline throw-in.
2. The time-out request was not heard and properly granted until after the try was released, in which case the goal counts. The whistle still stops the clock and the team is still charged with the time-out which was requested, but erroneously granted. (It's erroneously granted in this case because it was acknowledged at point when it should not have been--there was no player control.) Resume the game at the POI = endline throw-in for Green.

What the officials cannot do is what one poster suggested and ignore the whistle, count the goal, and declare the game over. That's wrong by rule. The game clock must stop when the whistle is sounded.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 17, 2014 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 923227)
Your first sentence is a nice slogan, but if this timeout is missed and the shot misses, the only perception that matters is that the crew has no game awareness and missed the timeout request.

And if, while the official turns around to see who is requesting that timeout (it could be an assistant or someone in the stands right behind the coach) his player gets fouled while releasing the 3 and you miss that, what then?

When there is action on the floor, the #1 priority is the action. I'm not turning my attention away from imminent action to if a coach might be calling timeout.

Being aware of the game just means that, but sometimes you can't turn away from the game in front of you.

johnny d Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 923280)

What the officials cannot do is what one poster suggested and ignore the whistle, count the goal, and declare the game over. That's wrong by rule. The game clock must stop when the whistle is sounded.

Yes, this can easily be done by rule. The whistle is blowing as the horn starts to sound. Game over. Whistle is too late to stop the clock. It is that simple. Don't worry though, you will still be the first person I call if I ever need some rules help.:rolleyes:

Rich Mon Feb 17, 2014 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 923280)
It should. If it was blown prior to time expiring, then there will be time left on the game clock.
The officials can rule this play one of two ways.
1. The time-out was properly requested prior to the player control ending, but acknowledged a little late. Restore time to when the whistle sounded and white has the ball for a sideline throw-in.
2. The time-out request was not heard and properly granted until after the try was released, in which case the goal counts. The whistle still stops the clock and the team is still charged with the time-out which was requested, but erroneously granted. (It's erroneously granted in this case because it was acknowledged at point when it should not have been--there was no player control.) Resume the game at the POI = endline throw-in for Green.

I mean the fact that the whistle doesn't blow until the shot's in the air means nothing to me - I'm still granting the timeout if I acknowledged it (before I get air in the whistle) before the shot's in the air.

saluki34 Mon Feb 17, 2014 04:58pm

Assuming that the officials got it right with the granted timeout with time on the clock,
what scenarios would you T up the Home team player for hanging on the rim during a time out?

OKREF Mon Feb 17, 2014 05:14pm

So he gets the time out and the best play he draws up is a half court heave? I half expected it to go in.

BillyMac Mon Feb 17, 2014 05:30pm

Grasping ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by saluki34 (Post 923336)
Assuming that the officials got it right with the granted timeout with time on the clock,
what scenarios would you T up the Home team player for hanging on the rim during a time out?

10-3-3: A player shall not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent
injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

10-4-1-I: Bench personnel ... shall not: Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or stuffing, or
attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

Adam Mon Feb 17, 2014 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 923345)
10-3-3: A player shall not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent
injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

10-4-1-I: Bench personnel ... shall not: Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or stuffing, or
attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

We know the rule, Billy. You calling this knowing the player thought the game was over?

BillyMac Mon Feb 17, 2014 06:12pm

What? Who? Where? When?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 923346)
We know the rule, Billy. You calling this knowing the player thought the game was over?

I'm not even sure that I would see it happening. In this situation, my partner, and I, would probably be meeting to discuss what the hell just happened, and how we're going to proceed. I thought saluki34 was looking for a rule reference.

Sometimes kids can do weird things, and sometimes officials can do weirder things:

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post923016

saluki34 Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:50pm

I know what the rule says, I was more interested in seeing how many of you would actually assess the T to the player in this situation, if any of the crew saw it?

How much of the game scenario do you take into consideration when deciding to assess the T or not?

The letter of the law says you T him up, but???? interested in game management/scenario thoughts from you all.

bwburke94 Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53pm

I'd T him up.

deecee Tue Feb 18, 2014 08:29am

I would not T up the player here. I would also NOT put the amount of time on the clock from when the whistle was blown but rather when the TO was granted. In this case it would be less than a second difference.

stick Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:24pm

Just from seeing this again I would guess these officials did it right (not sure about the hanging on the rim though). I note the C frantically waving off the basket. Although the video doesn't show it one can surmise he must have seen or heard the coach call TO before the shot was in the air. Again, it's not on the video but if this is the case then it was the right call.

Raymond Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick (Post 923614)
Just from seeing this again I would guess these officials did it right (not sure about the hanging on the rim though). I note the C frantically waving off the basket. Although the video doesn't show it one can surmise he must have seen or heard the coach call TO before the shot was in the air. Again, it's not on the video but if this is the case then it was the right call.

It's on the 2nd video, at 0:27 of the video.

stick Wed Feb 19, 2014 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 923616)
It's on the 2nd video, at 0:27 of the video.

You are correct. He even accidently brushed up into that official. He asked for time out before the shot was released.