The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
So, you gonna send him to the bench because this young man has wristbands that don't match his teammates?

Good grief...... why make yourself the story here?
Would simply have him remove them.

Why do some people think that it is so difficult to comply with the rules?
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 07:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Mixed Feelings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Call me heartless, but I would have a tough time not penalizing the adding of the manager's name to the book. Maybe I would let it side, but like I said, I would have some inner turmoil about whether, or not, to do it. And I would not criticize anyone for letting it slide in their game.

Note that the original post says nothing about the score. Even with the opposing coach agreeing, I'm probably not letting it slide in a close game.

If I do charge the technical, I'm getting the free throws out of the way as quickly, and quietly, as possible.

If a technical foul is charged, it's not the kid's fault, it's not the official's fault, its the coach's, or athletic director's, fault.

OK, you guys can start booing, and throwing rotten tomatoes at me now.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 16, 2014 at 11:03am.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

I can see Bill's quandry and it isn't really a matter of making ourselves the story. To paraphrase Nevada the rules are there. If we're told beforehand what's going to happen and both teams agree we can easily tell both coaches what needs to happen - by rule - so everything will take place smoothly.

Yesterday in my NCAAW game a player for the home team scored her 1,000th career point and her team wanted it acknowledged at the moment it happened. The crew and the opponent were both notified it was coming - whenever she scored her first two points - and the home HC was told what he needed to do: call a 30-second time-out if the clock was still running.

She scored, the home HC actually forgot to call the 30, play continued, a dead ball took place on an OOB, the PA announcer gave the crowd the information...then the home HC called the 30. Simple and everyone was happy.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 10:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Return Of The Set Shot ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've got no problem calling this T 99% of the time, I've done it probably a dozen times. But the rule is there for a reason that does not involve the OP, and I've got no problem making an exception in that extremely rare circumstance. If I take a hit later for skipping the T in this circumstance, I can live with that.

If I end up the biggest ass hole in town and take a hit from my association for that, then that's going to be harder to overcome.

The 6 people who matter know it's an exception and wouldn't expect it to be a precedent. If I call the T, everyone in town knows I'm "that guy." I may as well call the multiple foul. Really, it's no different than giving that same kid a little leeway with his pivot foot as he gathers for the 3 point shot you know he's going to take.

I'm not generally an advocate of allowing the other team to skip the FTs on this T, but hey, if you must call the T: just add a team foul and skip the FTs (assuming the opposing coach is on board with the whole thing).

For me, I'm going to enjoy my once-in-a-career moment without being the biggest jerk this side of the continental divide.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:38pm
#thereferee99

I would have no problem with a T.

But the way it went down was kind of unique.

Time out with 2:30 to go. Site administrator calls me over and says, "coach has a team manager who we are going to put in the game. He's not in the book, but the other coach has agreed."

So we didn't get a chance to help in the choreography of how to do it properly. Now at this point I don't know if #14 is in the book or not. I just have information that it is possible/likely. Not that it matters, but White was ahead by 30 points.

Also unique here is the table at this tiny gym is in a loft, so our access to the table is not as straightforward.

The scorekeeper did not have the horn sounded. I did not pursue the possibility of an Administrative Technical. Had I been notified, we certainly could have taken care of business, then had 2:00 of game action for things to play out.

My assessment was we would proceed with the game until informed otherwise.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lots Of Ways Around This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
... we would proceed with the game until informed otherwise.
Remember, the technical foul is charged, not for an undocumented team member participating, but for a change in the official scorebook. No change in the book noted. No technical charged. Easy peasey lemon squeezy.

Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:37pm
#thereferee99

Story on the game

O'Dowd Team Manager
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent article. Wonderful moment for the kid.
O'Dowd is ranked #1 in Northern California as the article states.
They were up by 30 at that point in the game.
Therefore, what is the issue with following the rule and assessing the team technical foul? It isn't going to alter the outcome. If the outcome were in doubt, he would not have played according to everything written in the article.
Of course, not charging the T also isn't going to alter the outcome.
However, as an official in a situation where it doesn't make any difference either way, when making the choice to follow the rule or ignore it, it seems that adhering to the rule should be the obvious default.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 04:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Err ...

Quote:
When making the choice to follow the rule or ignore it, it seems that adhering to the rule should be the obvious default.
Especially in terms of explaining situations, and how you handled them, to your assigner.

My Catholic middle school assigner assigns Connecticut games from the beach in Florida. He has always told us that he wants all "Fashion Police" rules followed, even for the littlest kids. A few weeks ago, two our officials decided to allow gold undershirts under white jerseys. No a big deal? Right? It's just a "Fashion Police" issue? Right? How's he going to find out? Right?

Well, he did find out, and guess who's not going to work any league, or state, playoff games?

Maybe the original post doesn't compare, or apply, to fashion issues, but Nevadaref makes a lot of sense, in general terms. If you're going to err, err on the side of following the book.

Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it is because I have no desire (and absolutely no chance) of ever working more than a HS playoff game in the first two rounds. At my age, they are probably not going to give me a first time regional or state assignment...and I am good with that.

In the situation put forward by the OP, there is no way in he[[ I am calling a T. If one of my partners call it I will block them as soon as I can get to a computer. If the person giving me games doesn't want to put me in varsity games in the future then I will either work JV or quit.

There are some things more important than basketball and the rules that govern the game. Would I like the head coach to plan a little better and put the kid in the book for that game...of course. Am I going to make myself look like a jerk and become a villian when the article appears in the paper and they go on and on about the official who penalized the team for trying to do something good...Nope.

But that is just me...I am certain that some (maybe many) here will view me as close to the worse official to ever grab a whistle.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 05:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Goldfinger, Now There's A Villain ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
A villain ...
Just how bad of a villain are you? The home team would have won. The manager still would have gotten to play. The manger still would have scored. Everybody in the gymnasium still would have cheered for him. In my opinion that "bad" certainly doesn't come anywhere close to any of the Bond villains that I've come to know, and hate, over the past forty years.

Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would simply have him remove them.

Here's what happened to me 4 years ago.

Team mgr, a young man with Down Syndrome. Wears red wristbands, given to him by his grandfather, everywhere.

Final home game of the season. It's widely known that the young man's grandfather had passed early in the season and everyone knows that he's getting into the game at some point. Home team up big in final two minutes..... enter the young man wearing his red wristbands. (not a school color)

Young man enters game, crosses himself, kisses his wristbands and points to the sky. Not a dry eye in the house, present company included.

He scored two points and was carried off the court by both teams...... While wearing his illegal wristbands.

I challenge anyone to say they could look dead into a TV camera and state with conviction that the rule he was "breaking" was more important than what took place in the final two minutes of that game.

Last edited by asdf; Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 06:51am.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Here's what happened to me 4 years ago.

Team mgr, a young man with Down Syndrome. Wears red wristbands, given to him by his grandfather, everywhere.

Final home game of the season. It's widely known that the young man's grandfather had passed early in the season and everyone knows that he's getting into the game at some point. Home team up big in final two minutes..... enter the young man wearing his red wristbands. (not a school color)

Young man enters game, crosses himself, kisses his wristbands and points to the sky. Not a dry eye in the house, present company included.

He scored two points and was carried off the court by both teams...... While wearing his illegal wristbands.

I challenge anyone to say they could look dead into a TV camera and state with conviction that the rule he was "breaking" was more important than what took place in the final two minutes of this game.
For that matter, I'd call a shooting foul on the other team just to get him to the line if he couldn't get a clean shot!
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Regardless of the situation, not calling a T is ridiculous. If he wasn't in the book, he wasn't in the book.