The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 02:37am
#thereferee99

C'mon, he had only had 26...

...open heart surgeries.

2 mins left in the game tonight, AD comes over and says they are putting the team manager in the game. He's not in the book, but other coach agrees. I had seen this energetic upstart a couple of times previously this season. Working hard as team manager.

In he comes with 2 mins to go, and the kids in the gym take over. The cell phones are out and the vibe is fantastic. #14 is a good team player, running the offense, moving the ball. His teammates keep getting him the ball and his first try is a 3. No good.

His team controls the rebounds. feeds him but a second try no good. We go the other way. Other team misses and back we come... yeah, third time is the charm: nothing but net. Gym is electric!

Team bench is off the hook. Student section off the hook. Final seconds counting down I am strategizing getting off the court, knowing there will be a storming of the court. Indeed!

A good day at the office.

O'Dowd Team Manager

Last edited by referee99; Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 01:36pm. Reason: Updated with a link to story.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

When did you administer the two free throws?
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 10:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Only in your imagination.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:01pm
#thereferee99

I specifically told her!

Quote:
Pre-game with official scorer to notify us if there was any problem with the book. Never got notified! Oh well.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the varsity level I completely agree. Other levels heck no.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 04:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Blowout and they want to bring a manager in (in obviously a special situation)?

Sure, it's not good planning by the "violating" team, but I doubt I'm going to delay the game, assess a technical foul, shoot the free throws, etc. etc.

Good on the scorer for not notifying you. Took it right out of your hands.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 05:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Right about the time I'm dead inside.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

So why wouldn't a team which has a special situation and knows that they possibly wish to play a certain kid simply list him at the bottom of the roster for the final home game?
Simple planning by the coaching staff prevents putting the officials in an awkward spot.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 05:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
So why wouldn't a team which has a special situation and knows that they possibly wish to play a certain kid simply list him at the bottom of the roster for the final home game?
Simple planning by the coaching staff prevents putting the officials in an awkward spot.
I don't disagree completely. I would've preferred better planning.

But it's really not that awkward, not to me.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't know that the coaches had the ability to waive playing rules.

The officials are supposed to be objective administrators of the game.
We can't ignore or set aside rules because people want us to.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This happend to me about 3 years ago. Last home game and last game of the season for team A. They had two seniors who were injured and couldn't play. Before the game the coach told us they were going to be in the starting lineup. The script was A1 would jump. He would tip the ball to A2 (injured). A2would pass it to A3 (injured) for a lay up--team B agreed to this and would not play defense. Basket for A3 with an assist for A2. Then the horn would go off and two subs would come in for A2 and A3. Team B agreed and was down 2-0 before the real game began. Everyone knew the script and was cool with it. .
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Geno Being Geno ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
Everyone knew the script and was cool with it. .
Nykesha Sales left college as UConn’s all-time leading scorer with 2,178 career points. She scored the record-breaking points as part of a staged controversial layup. Sales had suffered an injury that had essentially ended her collegiate career. UConn's next game (against Villanova University) began with Villanova permitting Sales to complete an uncontested layup. (UConn then returned the favor, allowing Villanova to score. The game essentially began with a 2-2 score before serious play commenced.) UConn head coach Geno Auriemma felt bad that Sales did not already have the record, as he had made her sit on many occasions to avoid running up the score. The staged basket, while questioned in retrospect, was his attempt to make it up to her. He contacted the previous record holder, Kerry Bascom, as well as the Big East Commissioner to ensure that the incident would not be a problem, although the media was, and to a degree continues to be, critical of the move. (Wikipedia)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 15, 2014 at 06:32pm.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
This happend to me about 3 years ago. Last home game and last game of the season for team A. They had two seniors who were injured and couldn't play. Before the game the coach told us they were going to be in the starting lineup. The script was A1 would jump. He would tip the ball to A2 (injured). A2would pass it to A3 (injured) for a lay up--team B agreed to this and would not play defense. Basket for A3 with an assist for A2. Then the horn would go off and two subs would come in for A2 and A3. Team B agreed and was down 2-0 before the real game began. Everyone knew the script and was cool with it. .
As long as A2 and A3 were in the book, this isn't a problem per the rules.
As officials we don't control the actions of the players on the court. We just administer the game per the rules.
So with that said, what was the horn for? There is no rule permitting such a stoppage of play. If the team wants to do this, then it needs to use a 30-second TO or have one of the kids who is leaving commit a foul.
I don't have an issue with teams doing special things for players as long as it is done within the rules, which it easily can be.

Edit: I guess that the team could also have one of the injured players take a knee or sit down on the court following the basket. That would warrant an injury stoppage.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Feb 15, 2014 at 07:53pm.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Edit: I guess that the team could also have one of the injured players take a knee or sit down on the court following the basket. That would warrant an injury stoppage.
Is hell freezing over?
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't know that the coaches had the ability to waive playing rules.

The officials are supposed to be objective administrators of the game.
We can't ignore or set aside rules because people want us to.
So, you gonna send him to the bench because this young man has wristbands that don't match his teammates?

Good grief...... why make yourself the story here?