The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

What I meant by my leash comment, was the Varsity Assistant knows not to cost the HC a T. The JV assistant may not know this as much. Right?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 01:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
As I said, as long as they are being cordial, I will talk with them. I like to treat ACs like human beings. After all, some of them eventually become HCs.
I treat all ACs like human beings. Some human beings I ignore, some I don't.

Seriously though, I'm not talking to ACs who are whining and commenting about calls. I'll talk at them, as in "that's enough". Now, if at some point during the administration of a time-out, they ask me quietly "could please see if they are holding our players coming off of picks?", I acknowledge with an "ok, and move on.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
What I meant by my leash comment, was the Varsity Assistant knows not to cost the HC a T. The JV assistant may not know this as much. Right?
Not only do I disagree, I would profer that in the instances where you're right - one way to learn quickly is for them to be taught by example.

You, the official, are not responsible for doing your job differently based on the rules knowledge of your coaches or players. Don't give them more rope than you would any other AC.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

AC are like children. Seen and not heard. And just like children, I will listen what I have to say, but I am not listening to them over the adults (Head Coaches) when the adults are talking.

I would have T's up the coach too and probably would not have said anything to him when he asked the question about the warning.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If anything, their lack of understanding gives them a shorter rope. Deal with it sooner and more harshly.

I am curious, though. When you addressed the HC about the no-call, was it purely because of his AC going crazy? IOW, was the HC also asking? I honestly would have likely addressed that instead of the play. "Coach, I really can't discuss this until you get your bench under control." With his AC going nuts, the HC isn't getting any response from me on an actual call. He needs to deal with his bench first.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 03:13pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Something you can say to the HC when his AC is starting to act out is "Coach, your AC is on the verge of costing you your coaching box."
There it is. I used ths one last week in my season finale.

AC didn't like two first-half rulings, and on the second one (a PC foul), he yells, "that's TWO!" I was thinking, he better not get to three.

On the way back down the court, the HC complained "he was moving." He didn't hear my reply ("yes, backwards"), so I took a minute at haftime to explain the call (LGP was established before movement). He accepted that, and I told him to mind his bench, with a variation of Welpe's line.

As I was leaving the court after the final buzzer (3-point home victory), the AC approached me, apologized, and shook my hand. Not a bad way to finish the season.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I said, as long as they are being cordial, I will talk with them. I like to treat ACs like human beings. After all, some of them eventually become HCs.
The key being as long as they are being cordial. Like the seeder post indicated, if they start mouthing off and getting argumentative then I go to the HC and tell him to settle his AC down. If he doesn't or can't, then I will.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 04:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
I like to treat ACs like human beings. After all, some of them eventually become HCs.
What's that got to do with becoming a human being?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 04:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

To Quote My Mom, No Means No ...

Quote:
"I don't get a warning?!?!?!" I reply, "Assistant coaches don't get warnings."
While your answer may be true, I believe that a better answer would have simply been, "No".

"Assistant coaches don't get warnings" implies that head coaches get warnings. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 04:45pm.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 05:14pm
AremRed

Quote:
His AC is still going nuts.
Should have whacked him before you got to still. AC's should know better, and if the head coach sees his assistant going ham he should know to get control quickly. Otherwise, he's getting an indirect T.

Quote:
Then he loses it more and says, "I don't get a warning?!?!?!" I reply, "Assistant coaches don't get warnings."
LEAVE THE AREA. Don't stick around for this conversation. Tech the assistant, turn around, and meet your partner far away. Deal with the FT's and send your partner to seat the HC.

Quote:
Then the visiting book keeper waived his arms at me when I reported the T, should I have asked him to leave the table?
Depends on how obvious it is, or whether you think he is inciting other negative reactions from the crowd. Up to your judgement on whether or not you can still work with this guy.