The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

ACs......oh boy

Had a JV girls game last night. AC losing it about a no call when his girl lost her balance out of bounds. There was tight defense, but no contact that caused her to go OOB. I can see from the bench how it appeared maybe there was, but there wasn't (I was in perfect position to make/not make the call).

I explained to the head coach that she lost her balance and their was no contact from the defender. His AC is still going nuts. Whack. Then he loses it more and says, "I don't get a warning?!?!?!" I reply, "Assistant coaches don't get warnings."

Was that too far? I know at the JV level they aren't on as much of a leash like at the Varsity level.

Then the visiting book keeper waived his arms at me when I reported the T, should I have asked him to leave the table?

I am a little new to the game, but don't want to be a pushover. Additionally, I don't want to get black listed from these schools.

Thanks in advance,

pfan
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I probably would have whacked the AC as well but it is a had to be there thing.

Keep in mind though...you probably just whacked the varsity head coach. At least around here, the varsity head coach will sit on the bench as an assistant during the JV games. Lets them monitor/observe their assistants and the progress of the players in real game situations.

As for the table...I probably would have just given them "the look". Asking them to leave for just that would have been a bit much. At least in my opinion.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:21am
Courageous When Prudent

AC don't have the privilege of "losing it".
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Could it just be a lack of knowledge?

You never know what you're getting as far as a table crew in JV game; Personally I would've approached them and just explained that if you're going to sit here then you're working; and specifically we're working together. You cannot react negativley or positivley as a fan would when you're sitting here at the table. I can't imagine that wouldn't correct the problem assuming the issue was just a lack of knowledge....

If it continued.....handle your buisness.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Had a JV girls game last night. AC losing it about a no call when his girl lost her balance out of bounds. There was tight defense, but no contact that caused her to go OOB. I can see from the bench how it appeared maybe there was, but there wasn't (I was in perfect position to make/not make the call).

I explained to the head coach that she lost her balance and their was no contact from the defender. His AC is still going nuts. Whack. Then he loses it more and says, "I don't get a warning?!?!?!" I reply, "Assistant coaches don't get warnings."

Was that too far? I know at the JV level they aren't on as much of a leash like at the Varsity level.

Then the visiting book keeper waived his arms at me when I reported the T, should I have asked him to leave the table?

I am a little new to the game, but don't want to be a pushover. Additionally, I don't want to get black listed from these schools.

Thanks in advance,

pfan
Sounds good to me. The visiting book isn't needed at the table, so the "bullshit" wave would probably result in them losing that spot if it happened more than once.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:28am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I know at the JV level they aren't on as much of a leash like at the Varsity level.
What?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. Other than responding to the AC coach's stupid question (I would have maybe given the HC a quick questioning glance), I would have done the same thing.

2. The visiting book keeper would have received a quick warning about the expectations of table personnel.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...Then the visiting book keeper waived his arms at me when I reported the T, should I have asked him to leave the table?

"If you want to remain at this table, that behavior needs to cease...immediately"
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:45am
Archaic Power Monger

Something you can say to the HC when his AC is starting to act out is "Coach, your AC is on the verge of costing you your coaching box."

I've used that a few times and it has the desired effect.

I don't pretend ACs don't exist and I will gladly answer polite questions from them at my leisure but I don't tolerate them "losing it" either.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Something you can say to the HC when his AC is starting to act out is "Coach, your AC is on the verge of costing you your coaching box."

I've used that a few times and it has the desired effect.
I have said that to a JV HC. He said "That is my boss, you control him. He knows better."

About two trips later I controlled him. JV coach gave him a look, shook his head and took a seat.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:54am
Archaic Power Monger

Ouch. Not the first time I've heard of the V HC showing up the JV game and tipping over the apple cart. Happens quite often in football around here.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Don't respond to AC comments that are made in anger or while "going nuts". Address the HC as described above. (The idea that the AC gets more leash at games below varsity is the opposite of anything I've ever heard). Personally, I think you may have waited one step too long on the T here... AC goes nuts - T or at least warn HC - definitely don't address his complaint.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Don't respond to AC comments that are made in anger or while "going nuts". Address the HC as described above. (The idea that the AC gets more leash at games below varsity is the opposite of anything I've ever heard). Personally, I think you may have waited one step too long on the T here... AC goes nuts - T or at least warn HC - definitely don't address his complaint.
Any HC that is losing it during the JV is probably on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Snippy comments when you’re in the area is what is normally the case (they just go ignored). However, assistants are what they are during your game. Usually, a quick re-direction to the JV HC that it’s his responsibility to maintain bench decorum has worked for me in the past.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

I don't pretend ACs don't exist and I will gladly answer polite questions from them at my leisure but I don't tolerate them "losing it" either.
I was taught, "we talk to ONLY the head coach". I believe that is an excellent rule. It's a fine line from a question to a comment and it only get worse from there. JMO.

Give them an inch.....
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I was taught, "we talk to ONLY the head coach". I believe that is an excellent rule. It's a fine line from a question to a comment and it only get worse from there. JMO.

Give them an inch.....
As I said, as long as they are being cordial, I will talk with them. I like to treat ACs like human beings. After all, some of them eventually become HCs.