The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating varsity games at age 20

I am asking a question which is unique to my situation. I am a 20 year old college student who has been registered in my state (Kansas) for 3 years now. I am a 7th year official overall starting with rec ball at a young age. I have received several varsity dates this year and have more assigned to me for next year. My problem is coaching testing me, see how far they can get with me and challenging my calls due to my young age. How do I stop this from happening?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Listen.

Warn when appropriate.

T when necessary.

It's human nature. They'll test you just like little kids test their parents.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvincentsmith View Post
I am asking a question which is unique to my situation. I am a 20 year old college student who has been registered in my state (Kansas) for 3 years now. I am a 7th year official overall starting with rec ball at a young age. I have received several varsity dates this year and have more assigned to me for next year. My problem is coaching testing me, see how far they can get with me and challenging my calls due to my young age. How do I stop this from happening?
I know a 20 year old who works D3 ball here. His father posts in this forum.

Observe how older officials handle challenges from coaches. Shouldn't be any different for you b/c of your age.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't Bragging

I was not in anyway trying to boast about getting varsity games I just wanted to explain my situation. I am very thankful for the opportunity. Just wanted to clear that up.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know exactly what you are saying. I too am 20 years old, and this year did 24 varsity games. I think my biggest challenge has been coaches testing me.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:36am
We don't rent pigs

It is only natural to expect a certain amount of extra scrutiny when doing a job at a young age. If your performance is good enough, this should take care of itself soon enough. But coaches can/will twist anything into a negative.

On any given night your age can be used against you:

"WHY DID THEY SEND ME THIS ROOKIE?"

against your partner:

"The kid is twelve years old and he's way better than you."

against both of you:

"Hey, kid, take your grandfather and go on home."

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It is only natural to expect a certain amount of extra scrutiny when doing a job at a young age. If your performance is good enough, this should take care of itself soon enough. But coaches can/will twist anything into a negative.

On any given night your age can be used against you:

"WHY DID THEY SEND ME THIS ROOKIE?"

against your partner:

"The kid is twelve years old and he's way better than you."

against both of you:

"Hey, kid, take your grandfather and go on home."
Funny story about the grandfather thing, Monday I worked with two very veteran officials one 78 the other 76 and they still are in better position then guys I've seen work that are half their age. My problem is with coaches challenging me on every call I make regardless of it was obvious or not. I had a veteran coach chew me every time I ran up and down the court he was a well respected veteran coach and never did it so anyone else could hear it always standing next to me. After the game while walking to our locker rooms he shook my hand and said I did a good job. Testing me alright.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How do I stop this from happening?
Get older.

It is probably as much related to their lack of familiarity with you as it is your age. You could be 40 and working their game for the first time and get the same treatment. He already knows how the veterans that he has seen 50 times will react. He knows what to expect from them. You're an unknown.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 04:36am.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How do you know it's because of your young age?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

I started at 19. I looked 13. I solved the problem by wearing a neatly trimmed goatee which stopped me from looking so young. Coaches treated me with far more respect with the goatee than they did before I had it (which by the way, gives the lie to referees should not have facial hair theory).
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 08:59am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I started at 19. I looked 13. I solved the problem by wearing a neatly trimmed goatee which stopped me from looking so young. Coaches treated me with far more respect with the goatee than they did before I had it (which by the way, gives the lie to referees should not have facial hair theory).
I agree with ya. I wear stubble. It helps me look a few years older/tougher.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 09:44am
Archaic Power Monger

I started umpiring baseball at 13 so I've been in your shoes in similar situations. I do believe you will get challenged more due to your age. There's not much you can do to prevent that. You can help head it off when it happens by always conducting yourself in a professional manner and let your conduct be beyond reproach. Some older officials or those more familiar with the coaches can get away with things that younger guys can't. Figure out what works for you and maintain a professional demeanor and you will do fine.

Good luck to you, it sounds like you're doing fine so far.

I've gotta say, I'm feeling old right about now. :|
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am 45 and new in my area this year. Due to my job I move about every three years. I have found that a good court presents, strong mechanics, being decisive, and approachability are great communicators. You are never going to please these guys. Do your job and be a good mediator. Time will take care of the rest.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Funny story about the grandfather thing, Monday I worked with two very veteran officials one 78 the other 76 and they still are in better position then guys I've seen work that are half their age. My problem is with coaches challenging me on every call I make regardless of it was obvious or not. I had a veteran coach chew me every time I ran up and down the court he was a well respected veteran coach and never did it so anyone else could hear it always standing next to me. After the game while walking to our locker rooms he shook my hand and said I did a good job. Testing me alright.
78 and 76? God bless 'em I still have a future!

Regarding crews always smart to mix ages, sizes.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What state are you from?