The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

First big 3 man assignment; positioning question

Had my first Varsity 3 man assignment Tuesday night. I would like some input on where the ideal C position is. I went in thinking FT extended was where I should be, but I'm not so sure. I kept finding myself in weird angles.

Side story from the assignment. BV game for a home coach that is a notorious A-hole. Half the officials in our Assn have him blocked. 1:30 into the first quarter I get my taste. I'm C right in front of his bench and he wants a travel. There is no travel. If there was it was the most miniscule travel you can imagine. He screams right in my ear, "that's a travel! Right in front of you!" Really coach? I just said, "I'm looking at it coach". Coincidentally I got an actual travel right in front of him on the next possession. I don't get coaches like this. If a couple calls don't go the way you want them, maybe ride the officials a bit, but screaming about phantom travels a minute into the game? Come on.

I also got beat to my first T. I call a shooting foul on a layup, spit my whistle out to verbalize the call, and the kid slams the ball down bouncing it over my head. Before I can get my whistle back in my mouth my partner stuck him.

My partner also T'd up the visiting coach for ABS. His team was getting smoked, and I no called a "travel" where one of the home kids dove after a ball and slid. He didn't turn over or sit up, just pushed it to a teammate. V Coach lost his mind. I would have liked to have gottten that T too, but being the new guy I was glad my partner got it.

On to the next one.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:24am
Courageous When Prudent

FTLE, step down when possible. Move to maintain your angle when dribbler drives to the basket.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 10:29am.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
.... He screams right in my ear, "that's a travel! Right in front of you!" Really coach? I just said, "I'm looking at it coach". ....
Do not allow this. Turn and look him straight in his eyes and tell him in a stern or even hostile tone, "Do not scream in my ear again".

Do not tolerate that kind of B.S.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Had my first Varsity 3 man assignment Tuesday night. I would like some input on where the ideal C position is. I went in thinking FT extended was where I should be, but I'm not so sure. I kept finding myself in weird angles.

Side story from the assignment. BV game for a home coach that is a notorious A-hole. Half the officials in our Assn have him blocked. 1:30 into the first quarter I get my taste. I'm C right in front of his bench and he wants a travel. There is no travel. If there was it was the most miniscule travel you can imagine. He screams right in my ear, "that's a travel! Right in front of you!" Really coach? I just said, "I'm looking at it coach". Coincidentally I got an actual travel right in front of him on the next possession. I don't get coaches like this. If a couple calls don't go the way you want them, maybe ride the officials a bit, but screaming about phantom travels a minute into the game? Come on.

I also got beat to my first T. I call a shooting foul on a layup, spit my whistle out to verbalize the call, and the kid slams the ball down bouncing it over my head. Before I can get my whistle back in my mouth my partner stuck him.

My partner also T'd up the visiting coach for ABS. His team was getting smoked, and I no called a "travel" where one of the home kids dove after a ball and slid. He didn't turn over or sit up, just pushed it to a teammate. V Coach lost his mind. I would have liked to have gottten that T too, but being the new guy I was glad my partner got it.

On to the next one.
Many coaches are always going to try and help you make calls!! I rarely pay attention to a coach like that. Instead you should focus on watching your area instead of listening to him dictate what to call. He's only trying to bait you into making calls his way. The old saying "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" applies here.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 01:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
Many coaches are always going to try and help you make calls!! I rarely pay attention to a coach like that. Instead you should focus on watching your area instead of listening to him dictate what to call. He's only trying to bait you into making calls his way. The old saying "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" applies here.
If he's yelling in my ear, he's not going to like the results. He may get a warning if I'm feeling generous.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 03:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If he's yelling in my ear, he's not going to like the results. He may get a warning if I'm feeling generous.
Exactly. It has to be addressed directly. Whether it's a warning, a T, or just a one-sided conversation from the official. There is absolutely no place for that behavior.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

There is no one spot as the crew moves front to back court. Move to improve,square your shoulders to your primary area.There is no one sweet spot as in "Here I am show me the play." Do not abandon your trail when there is back court pressure of 4 or more players because you think you need to get to your spot.
As to the coach getting your ear,stay focused on your game and limit talking with him.I have difficulty doing those two at the same time. You have a job to do and Lord help you if you miss something obvious and the other coach is now on you. Many times I have just given the coach a thumbs up as if I heard his complaining of calls or lack of them etc. Pretending to care mostly..............Good Luck
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

As far as positioning, FT line extended is starting point. Usually somewhere in the circle. I used to close down on shots but was told several times not to go so low so basically quit that and worked pretty much from FT to top of circle. I work in a 2-person state now so it's only a happy memory for me now.

Regarding coaches, they will notice you are new and see what they can get away with. I know as I am retire from AF and moved several different states over 20 years. Stick 'em once and they'll get the hint.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Although you ask a good question, I am wondering if you attended camp to learn 3-Man mechanics. If not, then I strongly urge you to invest in your training and attend a camp this summer to expand your knowledge and gain some supervised constructive criticism. I am sure that there may be other things that you need clarified, some knowingly and some others may surprise you when you get evaluated.