The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

On fly balls half way or more between the bags and the fence ( along the foul lines) I always get blocked out at the last minute by runners and more often than not defensive players. I always stayed on the line running slightly toward the play but am I better off going to one side or the other? I lose that straight on look though.

What do you do?

Glen
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Glen,
The last thing you want is a straight on look at a fly ball & catch. Move to get an angle on it (maybe 1 - 2 steps into foul territory), you'll find you have a much better view of those that are traps and your view of the line is just about equal.

Steve M
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
I think he's more concerned about the fair/foul call.

I personally bust down the line as far as I can on fly balls that are going to be near the line. I'm young and fit and I can get past the base on most of these when the runner situation allows.
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Glen,

I am assuming 2 person mechs. That being said, if it is in the "V" with fair/foul out of the question then move towards the pitchers circle and get your angle from there. I have never been blocked out from there. READ THE ENTIRE PLAY and then make your catch/no catch call. That will also put you in position to help your partners out should they need it.

If you have a shot down the line, they you really don't have much choice except to stay on the line and up the line to make your call.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

I forgot to mention only one umpire.

Glen G
Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen G
On fly balls half way or more between the bags and the fence ( along the foul lines) I always get blocked out at the last minute by runners and more often than not defensive players. I always stayed on the line running slightly toward the play but am I better off going to one side or the other? I lose that straight on look though.

What do you do?

Glen
Unless you have well-defined chalked or painted lines, you need to stay in a position where you can determine the status of the ball.

The defensive players have no need to see that line. If you have time, tell them, "10, give me the line" or "10, I need to see the line". If they don't give you the line, you need to call the ball based on the position you last saw it and if in doubt, give any benefit to the offense.

The runners are another story especially on the right side. As the umpire, you still need to get the best view you can. If that means leanging one way or the other and give it your best shot, that's what you have to do.

Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

If you are watching the ball position AS THE DEFENSE MAKES A CATCH, you need to be on the line. Stand tall and look over the players as you can. Tell the coach to get the heck out of the road... or any other expletive you can think of quickly. Do as Mike said and talk to the runners/players if there is time.

If you are watching the ball HIT THE GROUND because there is not going to be a defensive catch, the baseline is still the best place to be. However, if you need to, take a couple steps off the line (into fair or foul territory) and watch where the ball hits the ground. Again, Tell the coach to get the heck out of the road... or any other expletive you can think of quickly.

"Are you going to make the call for us coach? How about you F3? THEN GET OUT OF THE WAY!"
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
If you are watching the ball position AS THE DEFENSE MAKES A CATCH, you need to be on the line. ... snip ..
More importantly, watching the ball position AS THE DEFENSE MISSES A CATCH.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Tell the coach to get the heck out of the road... or any other expletive you can think of quickly. Do as Mike said and talk to the runners/players if there is time.
Usually the player gets in the way late, no time to ask them to move, let alone make them understand. If there is a coach on the line, they deserve whatever you call. Sidestep just as you would for any blocked view and make the best call possible, not guessing an out or strike, and explain the blockage after if you have to.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

All good comments. I'll try yelling as I run down the line but like cecil said the blocked views ussually happen at the last minute.

Someone said stand tall, I'm 5'9" and that doesn't work. I've even tried jumping at the last minute. It worked but I didn't think it was professional.

Comments,

Glen G
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I concur with Cecil. If someone's in the way, sidestep, even if it makes the call a little harder. We aren't paid to make the easy ones