The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Assignors - god bless em'

I'm sure most of us that work for assignors get memo's from time to time. And like players, coaches, fans, this time of year everyone's tipping point gets lower and lower.

Like society in general, in groups of people there is always the section of us that just doesn't get it. We all know who they are and you wonder how they function in life sometimes...

I say this because below I'm sharing a snippet of an email from an assignor in our area, and I freaking laughed out loud when I read it but good god, can you imagine having to work with all the idiots they have to deal with. I realize it's part of the gig but still....

"February 14--Valentines Day--I am 64 years old and for my entire life, this has been celebrated on February 14. Since friday, I have had four asignments given back and the officials have said, "I did not realize it was Valetime Day and my wife made plans." Taking care of your schedule is a big part of officiating. I do not have officials open for Friday. You ae going to make an assignor very unpappy if you cancel for friday. Restuarants are a lot less busy on Saturday."
"
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 01:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

For as frustrated as I get at times with my assigners, I'm sure glad I don't have their job.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 01:18pm
Back from the DL

I think we make too much out of February 14. The greeting card companies started the hype, and we bought into it.

I've been with the same girl for 25 years, married 22. The dates that matter to our relationship are our wedding (September 21) and first date (January 20) anniversaries. February 14 is big, for another reason. It's when our high school tournaments begin (and there's a new arena in town).
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 01:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I think we make too much out of February 14. The greeting card companies started the hype, and we bought into it.

I've been with the same girl for 25 years, married 22. The dates that matter to our relationship are our wedding (September 21) and first date (January 20) anniversaries. February 14 is big, for another reason. It's when our high school tournaments begin (and there's a new arena in town).
My wife's birthday is 2-19. Last year, that fell on a Tuesday: a very busy one at that for our association. I agreed to work a 4:00 freshman game that day so I could still take my wife out for her birthday.

Small sacrifice, but I had blocked it before the season even started. I won't be the guy who begs off of 2-14 because he forgot to check if it was on a Friday.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 01:52pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
It's the last week of the regular season here, and my Assignor is probably more worried about the big mid-week snow storm that's being talked about than Valentine's Day.......

PS - I too am one that is glad I don't have his job.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 02:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agreed to work a 4:00 freshman game that day so I could still take my wife out for her birthday.
Another example of how disappointed you would have been if the game had gone into a bunch of OTs.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 02:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
It's the last week of the regular season here, and my Assignor is probably more worried about the big mid-week snow storm that's being talked about than Valentine's Day.......

PS - I too am one that is glad I don't have his job.
Yep, 2 of my college supervisors have already said be ready for cancellations or changes this Wednesday night.

As far as Valentine's, I told my wife we will be celebrating it on Saturday. (Luckily my game that day is at 1:00 in the afternoon )
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 02:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've worked every Valentine's day that hasn't fallen on a Sunday or Wednesday in most of the years I've been married.

I've also worked my birthday, my wife's birthday, my kid's birthday, my anniversary, and many other "days" - I always make it up on a weekend day when there's more time to do something fun anyway.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 02:26pm
Administrator

I have been married for 31-1/2 years and have always kept myself open on Feb. 14th, because if I officiate on that date, when I get home I give my "better half" the best present possible: The game fee check to put in the bank the next day, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

That's embarassing-I know full well what day of the week an assignment is on when I accept it.Those officials should've paid attention to the calendar when they accepted their games.Since they've accepted assignments they should honor the commitment they made to the assignor.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 02:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
That's embarassing-I know full well what day of the week an assignment is on when I accept it.Those officials should've paid attention to the calendar when they accepted their games.Since they've accepted assignments they should honor the commitment they made to the assignor.
I'm actually quite shocked at how poor of a job a lot of my personal friends do in managing their basketball schedules and keeping Arbiter up-to-date.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm actually quite shocked at how poor of a job a lot of my personal friends do in managing their basketball schedules and keeping Arbiter up-to-date.
It surprises me as well. I deal with games on Arbiter, Reftown and Presto as well as one set of games - BV - where we don't even use an assigning program. Sometimes my assigner send me an e-mail. Other times - like Monday night when I found out I had a game Tuesday afternoon - I log in to my game page on the league web site just to make sure. Never missed a game.

Some guys don't realize how much they can cost themselves by being an administrative headache for their assigners. I tell people constantly: I may not be the best official in the room but I know I'm not a problem child for the people who give me games.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

JetMet-
I love that quote.This year in volleyball I was a first year official and made the section semi-finals.Only turned back one match the entire season and kept my arbiter completely current.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

Great to see someone else thinks the same way as I do.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 08:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just saying.......

This entire conversation/thread became moot here in VA as all schools are closed due to weather and all games postponed until Sat or even Mon. Might get the best of both worlds.......celebrate the day and get your game! WINNER!

PS - Except, of course, if you're the Assignor. He's pulling his hair out!