Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
From an ESPN report on the game:

Big 12 coordinator of officials Curtis Shaw told ESPN that the officials don't have jurisdiction to eject a player who is involved in an altercation with a fan.

"There is no precedent for that," Shaw said. "Our rules are for flagrant (foul) 1 or 2. We don't have grounds for dealing with a fan. We don't have a rule to get involved when the player is involved with a fan. We don't know what was said. The official, Doug Sirmons, didn't know what was said."

Shaw said anything involving a fan is up to the host school.

"That's up to the security of the home team and the conference," Shaw said. "We've never had a fan with a player incident before."
Yes, the Big XII has had an incident like that.

I'd say the incident where the entire UT team ended up in the crowd was worse. So maybe it isn't precedent.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Fwiw I believe that Curtis Shaw is incorrect and that the fighting rule of the NCAA does cover the situation of a player vs a fan. The rule clearly says "individual." Also there have been past such incidents.

FIFA soccer's law on violent conduct is written similarly and definitely covers any violent conduct no matter whom it is taken against. The player would be red carded.

I definitely expect clarification from the NCAA on this for next season.

Good find by Okiezebra! That video conclusively proves that Curtis Shaw is spewing nonsense. He was certainly working D1 when that Texas game was played and couldn't have been unaware of it.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Feb 09, 2014 at 11:49pm.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 01:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I definitely expect clarification from the NCAA on this for next season.

Good find by Okiezebra! That video conclusively proves that Curtis Shaw is spewing nonsense. He was certainly working D1 when that Texas game was played and couldn't have been unaware of it.
This situation will likely be covered in the next bulletin on the Arbiter NCAA website on some level.

I do not blame Shaw for not remembering this past situation. He was not the supervisor and this was over 12 years ago. He probably was unaware of the situation or just forgot. And the NCAA back then did not have the video updates or information as they do today.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieZebra View Post
Yes, the Big XII has had an incident like that.

I'd say the incident where the entire UT team ended up in the crowd was worse. So maybe it isn't precedent.
Thanks for sharing the clip.

Good thing deecee was out there getting the ball.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 01:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Thanks for sharing the clip.

Good thing deecee was out there getting the ball.
I am sorry, but you sound really silly. For one college basketball at this level is nothing like HS basketball or even small college. If you think I am going into the stands to get players, you have lost your feakin mind. For one that is all I need is a lawsuit for grabbing someone that gets punched or contacted in some way or have that happen to me. These officials in many cases are getting paid thousands of dollars to work those games. If they want to go into the stands and grab players, go right ahead, but most know better. And in this situation that happen this weekend, I did not see a single official going to get Smart or any of the players. The officials stayed on the floor as they should have.

Now you can go right ahead, but there have been lawsuits based on what officials did to brake up fights. And then you go into a fight where the many people could be throwing thngs are going. Even in the Malice in the Palace, I did not see the officials leave the floor to get players out of the stands. Stop it already with that nonsense.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 02:33am
NFHS Official

If you listen to the clip, the announcer says there were no ejections and the only T given was for leaving the bench. Maybe Shaw knows what he is talking about.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He didn't GO into the stands. He ended up there as a result of the play.

What does "playing the race card' mean, and what "card" is played when someone distorts facts?
The play took him 3 rows in. Reacting to the fan took him 10 rows in so that he could get to the guy. It's not so much how he got there, it's what he did after he got there.

Who distorted facts?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 08:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
The play took him 3 rows in. Reacting to the fan took him 10 rows in so that he could get to the guy. It's not so much how he got there, it's what he did after he got there.

Who distorted facts?
10 rows in, seriously. So Smart, who had just got helped to his feet by a fan, ran up 7 more rows to push the a$$-hole? If the guy was in row 10 while Smart was in row 3, how the hell did Smart know this guy said something?

That's what you saw? GTFOH

The jack-wagon was standing right there in the first row.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Feb 11, 2014 at 12:58pm. Reason: clean up
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 08:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So you have knowledge of a precedent for ejecting a player in such a situation?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 09:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post

Who distorted facts?
You are.

The fan was like in the first row behind the basket. Smart fell right behind or next to the basket. Smart took about one step after getting up to confront this Orr guy. So no one was in the 3rd row and no one was in the 10th row.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 09:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
How does one hear a racial slur wrong? I need an example. This has no place in sports one of the few places in life where there is an equal playing field.
Wow, you completely misread what I wrote.

I think it's possible that he called him a piece of sh1t, and Smart heard the word ni****. I frankly don't know. But feel free to assume the worst of someone you don't know because he's a white douchebag.

Again, I have no idea what was said. I assume Smart thought he heard a racial slur. I assume nothing with regard to what the fan actually said.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 09:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So you have knowledge of a precedent for ejecting a player in such a situation?
Good point, but Shaw also noted there had never been a situation like this at all.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is being reported on Twitter that he was called a racial slur.

Peace
Deadspin deftly separates fact from rumor.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 09:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Every crew needs a U2. Go grab that ball.
Ooh! Camp speak! Love it.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
How does one hear a racial slur wrong? I need an example. This has no place in sports one of the few places in life where there is an equal playing field.
- How does anyone hear anything wrong? Guess what happens all the time.
- Who has suggested that there is a place in sports for this? You are assuming that the FAN (probably a jacka$$) used a racial slur.

No one thinks it’s possible he was a little embarrassed about getting posterized on that play?

1. If in fact this guy used some sort of racial epitaph, he should be banned from attending any school activity for a period of time. If this can be verified 100% the court of public opinion will crucify him accordingly.

2. There is an equal chance he said absolutely nothing out of line and just got underneath M. Smart skin at the wrong time. In which case Smart's only possible explanation is he used a racial slur. This wouldn't be the first time someone accused another of a racial slur in order to explain stupid behavior.

I cannot believe for a second that no one else heard this. I don't care how loud it was. Unless you’re saying that everyone in that section is a racist and is covering for this fan. Why is it every time something like this happens between a white person and a black person it's racially motivated? I am not saying it doesn't happen. It absolutely happens; everyday somewhere. Not in the frequency in sports where everything can always be boiled down to race.

Maybe this Fan is just and A-hole. Maybe M. Smart needs to grow up and understand his environment. My guess is that there are plenty of representatives at his home court who are capable of the same stuff.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Closed Thread