The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
Crazy fun game tonight

Had a challenging but enjoyable OT game today. Home team #1 in conference vs. #3 team. Pre-game was a senior night, which they recognized the all-time points leader.

Pre-gamed thoroughly with my fellow officials and said to be read at the tip. I throw up the ball and try to stay out of the way. See that the home player jumper catches the ball in the circle. I blow my whistle and indicate violation. We confirm who gets possession due to violation.

Early in game 2 times the shot clock operator failed to start the clock (1 situation stopped a fast break for home team...waited 3 sec then blew dead). Home Coach tells me as the R to get the shot clock operator right..which I already did a thorough pregame with the individual, but went over again. A 3rd time the operator messed up...the ball hit the rim, the person didn't reset and a horn goes off, then less than 1 second later home fouls a visitor player. Coach upset from home teams, saying her players stopped playing when horn went off (in hindsight...could the 3 officials realized quick enough to blow the play dead for the reset...probably not).

So long story...short...the all time leading scorer puts shoulder down into a defender at the end of the game (tied ball game), I call a charge to foul the player out with 3-4 seconds, 5th foul on the player. Goes into overtime and the visitors win by 6. Fun game, but lots of craziness...called 3 PC's and having a table that's not doing a great job makes for a challenging game!
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 11:38pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeorge0263 View Post
A 3rd time the operator messed up...the ball hit the rim, the person didn't reset and a horn goes off, then less than 1 second later home fouls a visitor player. Coach upset from home teams, saying her players stopped playing when horn went off (in hindsight...could the 3 officials realized quick enough to blow the play dead for the reset...probably not).
Sounds more like a coaching problem to me. The shot clock horn going off does not stop play. Home coach should do a better job making sure his players know to play to the whistle, not the shot clock horn.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 11:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
enjoyable OT game
Contradiction of terms.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had a challenging but enjoyable OT game today. Home team #1 in conference vs. #3 team. Pre-game was a senior night, which they recognized the all-time points leader.

Pre-gamed thoroughly with my fellow officials and said to be read at the tip. I throw up the ball and try to stay out of the way. See that the home player jumper catches the ball in the circle. I blow my whistle and indicate violation. We confirm who gets possession due to violation.

Early in game 2 times the shot clock operator failed to start the clock (1 situation stopped a fast break for home team...waited 3 sec then blew dead). Home Coach tells me as the R to get the shot clock operator right..which I already did a thorough pregame with the individual, but went over again. A 3rd time the operator messed up...the ball hit the rim, the person didn't reset and a horn goes off, then less than 1 second later home fouls a visitor player. Coach upset from home teams, saying her players stopped playing when horn went off (in hindsight...could the 3 officials realized quick enough to blow the play dead for the reset...probably not).

So long story...short...the all time leading scorer puts shoulder down into a defender at the end of the game (tied ball game), I call a charge to foul the player out with 3-4 seconds, 5th foul on the player. Goes into overtime and the visitors win by 6. Fun game, but lots of craziness...called 3 PC's and having a table that's not doing a great job makes for a challenging game!
Glad you enjoyed the game....never let a home coach get on a crew about a poor table.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

I've worked plenty of enjoyable overtime games.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 07:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I've worked plenty of enjoyable overtime games.
Not with Mark!

This is part of HIS pre-game!
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 10:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Do not stop a fast break to reset the shot clock. Keep a count and fix it if they do not attack the basket.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

OT does = Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Not with Mark!

This is part of HIS pre-game!
I worked my 1st OT game of the season this past Friday. It was my 3rd game involving the home team.

#1) They lose by 50.
#2) They lose by 40.
#3) They win by 3 in OT. The fans (the few that were there) storm the court. I think that it was their 2nd win (& 1st home win) of the season.

Mark who?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Do not stop a fast break to reset the shot clock. Keep a count and fix it if they do not attack the basket.
I agree and I'm also wondering why the R is calling a jump ball violation on one of the jumpers in a 3-man crew. What is the U1 doing?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I agree and I'm also wondering why the R is calling a jump ball violation on one of the jumpers in a 3-man crew. What is the U1 doing?
Not paying attention, apparently.

If the R has time to get his whistle to his mouth, he certainly has to call the violation. And the other officials need to be buying the first round afterwards.

I had a tap go straight out of bounds a few weeks ago. The official on that sideline froze and I ended up making the call as the R. Life went on.